- J.D., University of Illinois, 2015, magna cum laude, Lisnek Award for Excellence in Trial Advocacy, Rickert Award for Advocacy, Phi Alpha Delta National Mock Trial Champion, Frederick Douglas Moot Court Editor and Best Oralist, KCMU Jury Challenge Winner
- B.A., University of Illinois, 2010
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims
John Sample is an associate in the Business Trial Practice Group in the firm's Chicago office.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Sample has experience on a wide range of commercial litigation matters, including breach of contract, real estate, intellectual property, product liability and labor and employment. Mr. Sample has particular expertise with contract disputes, and he contributed to editing the book, Illinois Contract Litigation. In addition, he has managed large document reviews, obtained witness declarations, and appeared in state and federal courts in Chicago. Mr. Sample has worked on legal matters for John Deere, Universal Protection Services, SecurityPoint Media, Oxford Capital, and Fifth Third Bank.
Mr. Sample is committed to pro-bono representation. He is a member of Sheppard Mullin’s firm-wide Pro Bono Committee. He has handled pro bono matters involving helping clients obtain asylum, advising clients on insurance disputes, providing settlement assistance to indigent prisoners pursuing civil claims, and advising victims of domestic violence.
Mr. Sample is a leader in Chicago office diversity initiatives, and he is actively involved in firm-wide diversity and inclusion efforts. He is a member of the firm’s Diversity and Inclusion Network, he is the Chicago office representative to Out At Sheppard, and he is a Sheppard Mullin representative to the Chicago Committee for Minorities in Large Law Firms. At the firm’s most recent diversity retreat, he moderated a panel on mentorship and sponsorship.
Mr. Sample is also actively involved in the Chicago legal community. He is a member of the Chicago Bar Association and a member of the University of Illinois Law Alumni Board, including the Committee for Advancement, which is dedicated to improving minority enrollment at the University of Illinois Law School.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Sample worked as a clerk at a Chicago general practice law firm, and he taught English as a Second Language at Parkland Community College. During law school, Mr. Sample clerked for Judge John Young in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas.
- Financial Regulation Journal, November 23, 2017
Eye on Privacy Blog Posts
- "CFPB Provides Guidance on Consumer Data Protection," November 14, 2017
- "Sharing PHI Without Consent: An OCR Reminder," November 6, 2017
- Sheppard Mullin Hosts ArtistsChicago Daily Law Bulletin, March 13, 2017
- Alumni Board, University of Illinois Law School
- Associates’ Board, Chicago Committee
- The Associates’ Committee
- Chicago Bar Association
- Cook County Bar Association