Jessica Sonpal is special counsel in the Governmental Practice in the firm's New York office, focusing on healthcare issues.
Areas of Practice
Jessica represents healthcare organizations on a wide range of regulatory and business matters. She has extensive experience counseling clients on state and federal regulatory and compliance issues including, among others, non-profit corporate governance, HIPAA and state privacy laws, state corporate practice of medicine prohibitions and fee-splitting rules, documentation and coding practices, professional misconduct rules, conflicts of interest and Medicare/Medicaid reimbursement disputes. Her practice also includes representation of clients in connection with governmental audits and investigations.
In addition, Jessica routinely advises federally qualified health centers (FQHCs) and FQHC Look-Alikes on matters relating to their day-to-day operations. She has extensive experience preparing these health centers for operational site visits and assisting them in achieving and maintaining compliance with the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) requirements and the many other regulations and promulgations applicable specifically to FQHCs and FQHC Look-Alikes. Jessica also assists entities desiring to establish FQHCs or FQHC Look-Alikes with their applications and has extensive experience assisting with their start-up efforts. Jessica also regularly advises hospital systems regarding their relationships with FQHCs. She has successfully assisted many hospital systems with “spinning off” their outpatient clinics into FQHCs and FQHC Look-Alikes, while ensuring compliance with HRSA and other federal and state law requirements.
New York Metro Rising Stars, Super Lawyers, 2022
Healthcare Law Blog Posts
- "The PACE Solution to Increasing Demands for Long-Term Services and Supports in the U.S.," November 2, 2023
- "CMS Releases CY2024 Final Rule for PACE Organizations," May 2, 2023
- "CMS Issues Proposed Rule Requiring Nursing Homes to Disclose Additional Ownership Information, Including Ties to Private Equity and REITS," February 27, 2023
- Webinar, 10.19.2023
- Discussion of How Home Health Agencies, Skilled Nursing Facilities Face Increased False Claims Act Enforcement RiskWebinar, 08.02.2023
- New York State OMIG Publishes New Guidance on Health Care Compliance Programs, Self-Disclosures and Medicaid Managed Care Fraud, Waste & Abuse PreventionWebinar, 02.22.2023