James C. Wald is a special counsel in the Intellectual Property Practice Group in the firm's Los Angeles (Century City) office.
Areas of Practice
James is an experienced litigator whose practice focuses on commercial litigation matters including intellectual property, shareholder and partnership disputes, healthcare, real estate, and entertainment. James has represented executives, high net worth individuals, private equity, and public and private companies in courts across the United States.
In addition to his practice, James serves as an adjunct professor at the USC Gould School of Law and the UC Irvine School of Law, teaching pretrial advocacy, trial advocacy, and deposition skills, and advises a real estate investment firm in its investments across the nation.
James’ litigation experience includes the following representative matters:
- Trial counsel to Lehman Brothers Holdings, Inc. during a six-week jury trial involving a $9.2 billion claim arising out of the failed acquisition of Unocal Corporation.
- Litigation counsel to a private equity firm in a $1 billion lawsuit arising from the bankruptcy of the largest US manufacturer of ladders and climbing products.
- Litigation counsel in cases involving breach of contract, business torts, shareholder, fiduciary duty, defamation, and insurance issues.
Intellectual Property Litigation
- Trial counsel to major software company in a $110 million arbitration involving breach of contract and patent licensing claims.
- Trial counsel to leading semiconductor company in a $15 million arbitration arising from the acquisition of a distressed corporation and its intellectual property.
- Litigation counsel in various disputes involving copyright, trademark, and trade secret issues.
- Trial counsel to a private equity firm and its principals involving a $2.3 billion health care industry SPAC transaction in the Delaware Court of Chancery.
- Litigation counsel to a global biopharmaceutical company in a $125 million lawsuit involving patent royalty issues brought by a hospital affiliated with Harvard University.
- Trial counsel to a pharmaceutical manufacturer during a four-week jury trial involving a $12 million claim arising out of the supply of adulterated products.
Real Estate Litigation
- Litigation counsel to a major bank in two multi-billion disputes involving defaulted real estate loans for resorts in Las Vegas and Idaho.
- Litigation counsel to a global real estate company in a $119 million real estate joint venture dispute.
- Litigation counsel to private investors in twelve real estate litigation matters including a $26 million real estate fraud claim.
- Litigation counsel in property development, commercial retail, and multi-family disputes.
- Litigation counsel for a television station in a multi-million dispute involving shows The Simpsons and King of the Hill.
- Litigation counsel for the largest provider of Spanish language media and entertainment content worldwide in numerous disputes.
- Litigation counsel for the largest Filipino television content provider worldwide.
J.D., University of Southern California, 2003, Order of the Coif, Executive Editor, Southern California Interdisciplinary Law Journal
B.A., University of California, Berkeley, 2000, Phi Beta Kappa, High Honors, High Distinction in General Scholarship, Scholar Athlete Award
- District of Columbia
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York