- J.D., University of California, Berkeley, 1992
- B.A., Hofstra University, 1989, cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Krystal Bowen is a partner in the Government Contacts, Investigations & International Trade Practice Group in the firm's San Francisco office.
Areas of Practice
As an experienced trial lawyer, Ms. Bowen focuses her practice on white collar criminal defense, internal corporate investigations and complex commercial litigation. She represents business organizations and individuals in connection with criminal and regulatory investigations, as well as parallel civil and administrative proceedings.
In addition to private practice, Ms. Bowen served for nearly six years as an assistant United States attorney for the Central and Northern Districts of California. As an assistant United States attorney, she gained substantial trial and appellate experience, having conducted several trials in federal court and oral arguments before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals on a broad range of criminal matters, including white collar and other offenses. She worked closely with the FBI, SEC and other regulatory and law-enforcement agencies in preparing criminal cases for indictment and trial.
Ms. Bowen serves on the Board of Governors of the Association of Business Trial Lawyers, and the Board of the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights of the San Francisco Bay Area. She recently completed a three-year term as a Director of the San Francisco Bar Association, where she served as a member of BASF’s Finance Committee. Ms. Bowen is also a former Chair of BASF’s Judiciary Committee.
- Best Lawyer in America, Best Lawyers, 2015-2017
- Northern California Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers, 2015, 2016
- Government Contracts, Legal 500, 2015
- Panelist, The Deepwater Horizon Incident: Disaster Causation, Planning, Prevention and Risk Reduction in U.S. Law and Regulation, San Diego Gas & Electric Law Department Offsite Meeting, San Diego (Oct. 9, 2013)
- Panelist, SEC Enforcement Update — Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and Anti-Bribery Update, Institute for Advanced Corporate Counsel, ACC-SFBA, Burlingame, Calif. (June 1, 2012)
- Panelist, How Bay Area Companies Can Respond to Anti-Bribery Initiatives, Association of Corporate Counsel-Bay Area CLE Program, San Francisco and Palo Alto, Calif. (May 2012)
- Speaker, The SEC’s New Whistleblower Rules, Bingham Breakfast Seminar, San Francisco, Calif. (Nov. 8, 2011)
- Speaker, E-Discovery Challenges Facing In-House Counsel, Network of Trial Law Firms Conference, Uncorking Litigation Management Expertise, Napa, Calif. (April 23–26, 2009)
- Panel Chair, Criminal Conspiracy Trials, 2009 Northern District of California Judicial Conference, Yountville, Calif. (April 17–19, 2009)
- Panelist, Update on the Law: Personal Liability for In-House Counsel, Bay Area General Counsel Group, San Francisco, Calif. (October 2007)
- Panelist, Ethical Challenges in Negotiations and Settlements, ABA National Conference for the Minority Lawyer, Boston, Mass. (June 2007)
- Panelist, Personal Liability for In-House Counsel: Caught Between the Golden Handshake and the Steel Handcuffs, Bingham client seminar, San Francisco, Calif. (November 2006)
- January 27, 2015
- Board Member, Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights of the San Francisco Bay Area