- J.D., University of California, Berkeley, 1992
- B.A., Hofstra University, 1989, cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Krystal Bowen is an experienced trial lawyer who focuses on white collar criminal defense, internal corporate investigations, regulatory enforcement actions, and complex commercial litigation. Ms. Bowen has more than twenty-five years of experience in litigating highly complex criminal and civil matters across a variety of industries. As a former federal prosecutor, Ms. Bowen has successfully tried numerous cases in federal court and conducted oral arguments before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Ms. Bowen represents both corporations and individuals in parallel criminal and civil proceedings, including antitrust price-fixing and bid-rigging, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (“FCPA”) violations, environmental offenses, pharmaceutical “off-label”’ marketing and promotion, securities and investment fraud, and healthcare fraud. A selection of Ms. Bowen’s representative engagements include the following:
- Representation of biotechnology company in internal investigation related to FCPA violations.
- Representation of Audit Committee of federal contractor in connection with investigation and dispute with former executive concerning financial mismanagement.
- Representation of Board of Trustees of public health system in connection with whistleblower allegations.
- Representation of utilities regulatory commission in investigations by the U.S. Attorney’s Office and the California Attorney General related to allegations of undue influence.
- Representation of individual employees of an international gas and services company in an investigation related to allegations of federal, state and local environmental regulations.
- Representation of individual employees in connection with federal and state investigations related to a multi-fatality incident at a chemical manufacturing plant.
- Representation of governmental entity in civil actions related to a warehouse fire resulting in multiple fatalities.
- Representation of numerous companies and individuals in price-fixing and bid-rigging investigations in the SRAM, DRAM, semiconductor, automotive, and freight-forwarding industries, including representation in parallel civil proceedings.
Ms. Bowen maintains an active pro bono practice and serves on the Criminal Justice Act Panel, representing indigent defendants in federal cases. Ms. Bowen is also active in local bar and community organizations. She currently serves as a member of the Criminal Justice Act Administration Committee in the Northern District of California, a Board Member of the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights of the San Francisco Bay Area, a Board Member and Governance Chair of Vincent Academy, a charter elementary school in West Oakland, and a member of the Edward J. McFetridge American Inn of Court. In addition, Ms. Bowen is a former co-chair of the Lawyer Representatives to the Northern District of California, Ninth Circuit Judicial Council, a former co-chair of the ABA White Collar Crime Committee for the Northern District of California, and a former chair of the Judiciary Committee for the Bar Association of San Francisco.
- Northern California Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers, 2015-2017
- Best Lawyer in America, Best Lawyers, 2015-2018
- Government Contracts, Legal 500, 2015
- Panelist, The Deepwater Horizon Incident: Disaster Causation, Planning, Prevention and Risk Reduction in U.S. Law and Regulation, San Diego Gas & Electric Law Department Offsite Meeting, San Diego (Oct. 9, 2013)
- Panelist, SEC Enforcement Update — Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and Anti-Bribery Update, Institute for Advanced Corporate Counsel, ACC-SFBA, Burlingame, Calif. (June 1, 2012)
- Panelist, How Bay Area Companies Can Respond to Anti-Bribery Initiatives, Association of Corporate Counsel-Bay Area CLE Program, San Francisco and Palo Alto, Calif. (May 2012)
- Speaker, The SEC’s New Whistleblower Rules, Bingham Breakfast Seminar, San Francisco, Calif. (Nov. 8, 2011)
- Speaker, E-Discovery Challenges Facing In-House Counsel, Network of Trial Law Firms Conference, Uncorking Litigation Management Expertise, Napa, Calif. (April 23–26, 2009)
- Panel Chair, Criminal Conspiracy Trials, 2009 Northern District of California Judicial Conference, Yountville, Calif. (April 17–19, 2009)
- Panelist, Update on the Law: Personal Liability for In-House Counsel, Bay Area General Counsel Group, San Francisco, Calif. (October 2007)
- Panelist, Ethical Challenges in Negotiations and Settlements, ABA National Conference for the Minority Lawyer, Boston, Mass. (June 2007)
- Panelist, Personal Liability for In-House Counsel: Caught Between the Golden Handshake and the Steel Handcuffs, Bingham client seminar, San Francisco, Calif. (November 2006)
- January 27, 2015
- Board Member, Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights of the San Francisco Bay Area