- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 2007, Legal Research and Writing Fellow, Georgetown Journal of International Law
- B.A., University of Colorado, 2002, magna cum laude
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
Ms. Johnson is an associate in the Labor and Employment Practice Group in the firm's Washington, D.C. office. She also works closely with the Business Trials Practice Group on commercial litigation matters.
Areas of Practice
Ms. Johnson’s practice encompasses all aspects of traditional labor and employment law, including compliance counseling and litigation or arbitration of employment-related claims such as “just cause” discharge cases under collective bargaining agreements and breach of contract, wrongful termination, and discrimination claims, among others.
Ms. Johnson represents employers in all aspects of union organizing campaigns and elections, both under the National Labor Relations Act and the Railway Labor Act, and assists employers in developing proactive, pragmatic strategies to achieve their labor management goals. Ms. Johnson has significant experience representing companies in arbitration and litigation and routinely represents employers before various administrative agencies, including the National Mediation Board, the National Labor Relations Board, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. In addition to labor and employment-related litigation, Ms. Johnson also has experience representing clients in federal criminal prosecutions and general civil litigation, including Intellectual Property-related cases and other commercial disputes.
Ms. Johnson counsels companies regarding compliance with various federal laws, regulations, and executive orders, including the Railway Labor Act, the National Labor Relations Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Occupational Safety and Health Act, the Employee Retirement Income Security Act, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, federal and state anti-discrimination statutes, and the various executive orders applicable to employers in the government contracts sector. She also assists clients in conducting internal investigations, both in the employment context and in connection with federal criminal investigations, including under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
Ms. Johnson works closely with clients involved in mergers and acquisitions, particularly private equity firms and their portfolio companies, to evaluate the labor and employment liabilities associated with a specific transaction and develop pragmatic, business-oriented solutions to issues that arise during the course of a transaction. She also assists her clients in structuring sophisticated executive employment, separation, and retention bonus agreements, among others, in connection with mergers and acquisitions, as well as in her day-to-day employment counseling practice. Ms. Johnson also has significant experience analyzing the enforceability of non-competition restrictions and other restrictive covenants, and in structuring enforceable restrictive covenants to protect her clients’ business interests.
Ms. Johnson regularly works with clients in the transportation and logistics industries—including airlines, trucking companies and warehousing—and with government contractors and private equity firms and has an in-depth understanding of the issues faced by employers in these industries.
- Co-author, "Dealing with the Working Whistle-Blower Under SOX", published by the Society of Human Resource Management, March 10, 2009
FCC Law Blog Posts
- "Increased Prospects for Broadband Deployment under Obama", December 18, 2008
Government Contracts Law Blog Posts
- "OFCCP Implements Enforcement Moratorium with Respect to TRICARE Subcontractors," June 24, 2014
- "Executive Orders and New Employment Requirements for Federal Contractors," April 18, 2014
- "New Employee Notification Requirements For Federal Contractors And Subcontractors", July 12, 2010
Labor & Employment Law Blog Posts
- "New Guidance for HR Professionals Regarding Wage-Fixing and No-Poaching Agreements Highlights New Focus on Criminal Prosecutions and Raises New Concerns for Employer," December 5, 2016
- "Get Ready! DC’s Protecting Pregnant Workers Fairness Act Currently Expected To Take Effect On March 3, 2015," February 18, 2015
- "Pennsylvania Appellate Court Finds Uniform Written Obligations Act Inapplicable to Covenants Not to Compete," June 4, 2014
- "Equal Pay Issues Addressed by President Obama on “National Equal Pay Day,” When He Signed An Executive Order and Presidential Memorandum Affecting Federal Contractors," April 10, 2014
- "US v. Quality Stores, Inc.: Supreme Courts Finds Severance Payments Taxable Wages Under FICA," April 9, 2014
- "Davis-Bacon CityCenterDC Case," April 7, 2014
- "IRS, DOL and EBSA Issue Post-DOMA Guidance Regarding Treatment of Same-Sex Spouses," September 19, 2013
- "Considerations for US Employers Post-DOMA," July 29, 2013