- J.D. Southwestern Law School, 2012, Special Project Editor, Southwestern Law Review
- B.A., University of California, San Diego, 2007, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- Extern to the Honorable Consuelo B. Marshall, U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
Kira Teshima is an associate in the Real Estate, Land Use and Environmental Practice Group in the firm's Los Angeles office.
Areas of Practice
Ms. Teshima’s practice focuses on land use and real estate matters. Ms. Teshima assists developers, large and small businesses, property owners and other private parties in complying with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and planning and zoning regulations; obtaining and negotiating development entitlements and regulatory approvals; drafting real estate transactional documents and easements; and government advocacy. Ms. Teshima has worked on a variety of complex housing, mixed-use development and utility scale energy projects throughout California. She also represents developers and management in traditional labor law issues, including union negotiations. Ms. Teshima advises clients on several state and federal land use and environmental laws, including CEQA, the National Environmental Policy Act, the California Coastal Act, the Subdivision Map Act, the California Public Records Act and other State and local development regulations.
- Recipient, U.S.-Japan Council Emerging Leaders Program
- Represented developer in a public-private partnership for the development of a 400,000-square-foot retail space on a former industrial site. Role included revising entitlements, an addendum to the Project EIR, street vacations and acquisition of portions of the project site. Also advised on all CEQA, environmental remediation and local land use permitting issues.
- Provided CEQA and NEPA counseling on the development of a solar generation project. Project approvals sought included a Conditional Use Permit, right-of-way grant from the Bureau of Land Management and certification of related CEQA and NEPA documents. The major issues included proper analysis of agricultural, global warming, water quality, cultural resources, biology and cumulative impacts.
- Drafted and negotiated tribal consultation agreement on behalf of developer, allocating rights and responsibilities to developer and unrecognized tribe in connection with proposed coastal development.
- Conducted land use due diligence in preparation for purchase and sale of commercial property in the cities of Thousand Oaks and San Diego. Advised purchaser of zoning compliance issues prior to closing.
- Advised purchaser of commercial business center in the City of Orange regarding reinstatement of Association and amendments to governing documents and CC&Rs.
- Drafted and negotiated easement agreements with the County of San Luis Obispo on behalf of property owner, allocating rights and responsibilities for long-term property use, access and maintenance.
- Represented developer in connection with the entitlement and environmental review of over one million square feet of residential, office and entertainment uses in Los Angeles, including the preservation and rehabilitation of a historic theatre and recording studio.
Real Estate, Land Use & Environmental Law Blog Posts
- "City of Los Angeles Releases Draft Hollywood Community Plan Update," June 16, 2017
- "Update – City of Los Angeles Affordable Housing Linkage Fee," June 14, 2017
- "Voters Overwhelmingly Approve ‘Build Better LA’ Initiative Resulting in New Affordable Housing and Local Hiring Requirements For Developers," November 11, 2016
- "New LA Ordinances 'Clean Up, Green Up' Industry in Residential 'Toxic Hotspot' Neighborhoods," May 23, 2016
- "New Live/Work Ordinance Adopted by L.A. City Council," February 24, 2016
- "Redevelopment Strikes Back," October 9, 2015
- "Governor Signs Off on New Tax-Increment Financing Structure," October 7, 2014
- "No Private Attorney General Fees for Homeowner," December 26, 2013
- Board of Directors, Little Tokyo Service Center
- Board of Governors, Japanese American Bar Association
- Board of Directors, Japanese American Bar Association Educational Foundation
- Board Member, New Leadership Advisory Counsel of the Japanese American National Museum
- Member, Los Angeles Urban Land Institute, Young Leaders Group