- J.D., Loyola Law School, 1999, St. Thomas More Honor Society, Managing Editor, Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review
- M.S., Biological Chemistry, University of California, Irvine, 1994
- B.A., Chemistry, Hendrix College, 1991
- Externed with the Honorable Stephen V. Wilson of the Central District of California
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Ms. Laura Burson is a partner in the Intellectual Property Practice Group in the firm's Los Angeles office. She is Co-Leader of the firm's Hatch-Waxman and Biosimilars Team.
Ms. Burson focuses on intellectual property litigation with an emphasis on patent law. She is a registered patent attorney, admitted to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Laura has experience in all phases of litigation, including trials, arbitrations, and appeals involving intellectual property and technology-related matters. Her clients come from a broad range of technology areas, including medical devices, chemicals and chemical processes, biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, computers, and other technologies. She is also active in pro bono matters and has served a volunteer prosecutor in criminal jury trials. She currently serves on the boards of directors of LAIPLA and Center for Civic Mediation.
- Represented Honeywell International Inc. in patent infringement suit involving a chemical manufacturing process. Favorable jury verdict on invalidity on three separate grounds.
- Represented Medtronic in a patent infringement suit involving multiple patents covering spinal transplant technology. Favorable jury verdict of infringement and damages for Medtronic.
- Represented Activision, Inc. in a number of matters involving patents, trade secrets, copyrights, and unfair competition. Matters settled favorably.
- Represented Covidien (Mallinckrodt Inc.) in patent infringement suit involving medical equipment. Case settled favorably just before closing arguments in jury trial.
- Represented Amgen, Inc. in patent infringement suit involving a gene transcription factor. Case resolved favorably on summary judgment on grounds of non-infringement.
- Represented Apple Computer, Inc. in patent infringement suits involving Apple iPod and other Apple portable digital media players. Case settled favorably.
- Represented 3M Company in a patent infringement case involving light-activated polymeric adhesives. Case settled favorably.
- "A.C. Aukerman and the Federal Circuit: What is the Standard of Review for a Summary Judgment Ruling on Laches or Equitable Estoppel?" Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review, Vol. 32, No. 3 (April 1999)
- DC Circuit Awards Attorneys’ Fees to SecurityPoint for Illegal and Improper Unilateral Decisions by the Transportation Security AdministrationMetropolitan Corporate Counsel, September 8, 2016
- Top Women LawyersDaily Journal, April 20, 2016
- Daily Journal, February 17, 2016
- Women Leaders in Tech Law: Laura Burson, Sheppard MullinThe Recorder, September 25, 2015
- Committee Member, 2015 USC Intellectual Property Institute
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Division
- American Intellectual Property Lawyers Association
- Association for Women in Science
- The Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association