- J.D., Loyola Law School, 1999, St. Thomas More Honor Society, Managing Editor, Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review
- M.S., Biological Chemistry, University of California, Irvine, 1994
- B.A., Chemistry, Hendrix College, 1991
- Externed with the Honorable Stephen V. Wilson of the Central District of California
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Ms. Laura Burson is a partner in the Intellectual Property Practice Group in the firm's Los Angeles office.
Areas of Practice
Ms. Burson focuses on intellectual property litigation with an emphasis on patent law. She is a registered patent attorney, admitted to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). Laura has experience in all phases of litigation, including trials, arbitrations, and appeals involving intellectual property and technology-related matters. Her clients come from a diverse range of technology areas, such as medical devices, chemicals and chemical processes, biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, and computers. She has extensive trial experience, including representing clients in Inter Partes Review and Reexamination before the USPTO.
Laura is a mentor and thought leader, serving as both an officer and board member of the Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association (LAIPLA), as well as serving in other legal organizations, such as University of Southern California’s IP Institute. She is a co-founding chairperson of LAIPLA’s Women-In-IP committee. She is also active in pro bono matters and has served as a volunteer prosecutor in criminal jury trials.
- Top Women Lawyers, Daily Journal, 2016
- Women Leaders in Tech Law, Recorder, 2015
- Currently representing Honeywell International Inc. in multiple proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board involving chemical patents.
- Currently representing Alembic Pharmaceuticals in a proceeding before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
- Currently representing Lattice Semiconductor Corp. in patent litigation involving HDMI technology. Case pending.
- Currently representing Exeltis USA Dermatology, Inc. in trade secret misappropriation case involving prenatal nutritional supplements.
- Represented Honeywell International Inc. in patent infringement suit involving a chemical manufacturing process. Favorable jury verdict on invalidity on three separate grounds.
- Represented SecurityPoint Holdings, Inc. in patent litigation relating to security checkpoint systems. All claims of SecurityPoint's patent upheld after trial. Case pending.
- Represented LendingTree in an antitrust and patent infringement lawsuit involving a method and computer network for coordinating a loan over the Internet. Successfully defeated antitrust claims.
- Represented Ramsoft Inc. in copyright infringement, trade secret misappropriations, and breach of contract case involving medical software. Case settled favorably.
- Under Media Mentions, should we add the Recorder 2015 award, like the Daily Journal that is listed?
- Represented Medtronic in a patent infringement suit involving multiple patents covering spinal transplant technology. Favorable jury verdict of infringement and damages for Medtronic.
- Represented Activision, Inc. in a number of matters involving patents, trade secrets, copyrights, and unfair competition. Matters settled favorably.
- Represented Covidien (Mallinckrodt Inc.) in patent infringement suit involving medical equipment. Case settled favorably just before closing arguments in jury trial.
- Represented Amgen, Inc. in patent infringement suit involving a gene transcription factor. Case resolved favorably on summary judgment on grounds of non-infringement.
- Represented Apple Computer, Inc. in patent infringement suits involving Apple iPod and other Apple portable digital media players. Case settled favorably.
- "A.C. Aukerman and the Federal Circuit: What is the Standard of Review for a Summary Judgment Ruling on Laches or Equitable Estoppel?" Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review, Vol. 32, No. 3 (April 1999)
- Law360, October 31, 2016
- DC Circuit Awards Attorneys’ Fees to SecurityPoint for Illegal and Improper Unilateral Decisions by the Transportation Security AdministrationMetropolitan Corporate Counsel, September 8, 2016
- Top Women LawyersDaily Journal, April 20, 2016
- Daily Journal, February 17, 2016
- Women Leaders in Tech Law: Laura Burson, Sheppard MullinThe Recorder, September 25, 2015
- Committee Member, 2013-2017 USC Intellectual Property Institute
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Division
- American Intellectual Property Lawyers Association
- Association for Women in Science
- The Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association