- J.D., Boston University, 2012, magna cum laude, Notes Editor of the Boston University International Law Journal, Winner of Moot Court Competition, Participant in National Moot Court Team
- B.A., Economics and Political Science, University of Southern California, 2008, magna cum laude
- Clerked for the Honorable Gary Allen Feess in the Central District of California
Mark Eisen is an associate in the Business Trial Practice Group in the firm's Chicago office with an emphasis in the areas of consumer privacy and class action litigation. Mark is a member of the firm’s Privacy and Data Security Group.
Areas of Practice
Mark focuses his practice on defending companies against class and individual actions brought under various state and federal privacy and consumer protection statutes, including the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) and the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act (FACTA), as well as other consumer-privacy and unfair business practices laws and regulations. Mark also has experience litigating under the Federal Video Privacy Protection Act and Michigan Video Rental Privacy Act, and is well-versed in data breach and data privacy litigation.
Prior to joining Sheppard Mullin, Mark clerked for the Honorable Gary Allen Feess in the United States District Court for the Central District of California, where he was exposed to a wide variety of litigation topics, ranging from contract to civil rights to RICO to patent.
During law school, Mark won the Boston University School of Law moot court competition and was selected for the school’s National Moot Court Team. While in school, Mark’s academic note, Who’s Running this Place? A Comparative Look at the Political Appointment System in the United States and Britain, and What the United States Can Learn, was published Boston University School of Law International Law Journal.
- Corporate Counsel, May 18, 2016
- App Developer Magazine, April 6, 2016
- Practical Law, February 2016
- Corporate Counsel, November 5, 2015
- Inside Counsel, June 23, 2015
- "Dazed and Confused: The TCPA's Health Care-Related Call Exemption," Bloomberg BNA, April 9, 2015
- "Who's Running this Place? A Comparative Look at the Political Appointment System in the United States and Britain, and what the United States Can Learn," Boston University International Law Journal, Spring 2012
Class Action Defense Strategy Blog Posts
- "Back at it Again (with the Standing Opinions): Seventh Circuit Reiterates Article III Standing in Data Breach Class Actions," April 19, 2016
- "The Game Goes On: Sheppard Mullin Obtains Dismissal With Prejudice of Class Action Alleging Social Gaming Micro-transactions Constitute Illegal Gambling," February 8, 2016
- "Tag, You’re It: Biometric Information Privacy Act Class Action Against Shutterfly Moves Past 12(b)(6)," February 1, 2016
- "Barbarians at the Gate: Seventh Circuit Finds Article III Standing for Data Breach Class Actions," July 24, 2015
- "Ninth Circuit Reiterates that Misrepresentation Must be Made to All Class Members," July 2, 2015
- "Not So Small After All: CallFire Uses Common Carrier Defense to Defeat Rinky Dink TCPA Class Action Case," March 18, 2015
- "Hold the Phone: Judge Holds Dish Network on the Line for Tens of Millions of Calls, but Leaves Silver Lining for TCPA Defendants," January 28, 2015
- "Now That That’s Settled: The Status of Class Action Settlements in the Seventh Circuit after Pella, Radioshack and NBTY," December 5, 2014
Eye on Privacy Blog Posts
- "Do as You Say (and as You Should Do): How the Hospitality Industry Can Brace for Data Privacy Actions," October 19, 2015
Video Game Law Blog Posts
- Companies Await D.C. Circuit’s Robocall Autodialer DeﬁnitionBloomberg Law, March 7, 2017
- Law360, October 4, 2016
- Law360, September 19, 2016
- Law360, September 13, 2016
- Bloomberg BNA, July 15, 2016
- Bloomberg BNA Electronic Commerce & Law Report, February 10, 2016
- Law360, February 1, 2016
- Defense Sees New Relief-Offer Strategy In 7th Circ. ReversalLaw360, August 11, 2015
- 7th Cir. Muddles Supreme Court Mootness ReviewBloomberg BNA, August 10, 2015
- Avoiding the Pitfalls of Data MiningWilmington plc, July 14, 2015
- Google Ruling Won't End Video Privacy Class ActionsLaw360, January 23, 2015
- Speaker, Recent Rulings: Data Breach Class Actions, 2016 Midwest Corporate Counsel & Compliance Forum, Chicago, Illinois, November 17, 2016.
- Presenter, On the Chopping Block: Class Actions Dead or Alive After Campbell-Ewald, Spokeo and Tyson Foods? Webinar, June 16, 2016.
- Privacy Litigation Risks in Using Biometric Authentication Technologies in Connection with PaymentsTenth Annual Mobile Payment Innovations SummitSan Francisco, CA, June 14, 2016
- Supreme Court UpdatePerrin Class Action Litigation ConferenceChicago, IL, May 17, 2016
- Sheppard Mullin's TCPA Webinar SeriesAugust 6, 2015