- J.D., Pepperdine Law School, 1994, cum laude
- B.S., Cornell University, 1990
Michael McKinnon is a partner in the Corporate Practice Group in the firm's Orange County office.
Areas of Practice
Michael focuses his practice on corporate and securities law, with an emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and equity and debt financings in the healthcare and life sciences industries. He has assisted clients in acquiring or investing in medical device companies, home infusion providers, diagnostic imaging providers, medical groups, physician practices, surgery centers, PPO networks, diabetic supply businesses, clinical trial companies and urgent care centers.
Michael serves as outside general counsel for a variety of healthcare and life sciences companies, including medical device firms and large health systems. In addition to private practice, Michael has also served as in-house counsel for Apria Healthcare and InSight Health Services Corp., with primary responsibility for the companies’ acquisitions, joint ventures and securities matters.
- Best Lawyers in America, Corporate, Best Lawyers, 2018-2020
- Mergers and Acquisitions, Legal 500, 2016, 2018
- Super Care Health: Representing sale of Super Care Health in ongoing limited sale process to various bidders. Super Care is a multi-state provider of home oxygen and respiratory therapy.
- Compass Management: Completed acquisition of Foam Fabricators, Inc. (“FFI”) by PE firm Compass Management. Foam Fabricators is an international manufacturing company with operations in US and Mexico. This was Compass’ first investment in FFI.
- ICON Eye Care: Represented ICON in sale of 10 ophthalmology clinics and 5 surgery centers in Colorado and Texas to PE fund, Cortec Group.
- Abrams Eye Institute: Represented sale of Abrams Eye Institute and Nevada Eye Consultants, ophthalmology clinics and related ASC located in Las Vegas to American Vision Partners.
- Advanced Infusion Solutions: Closed large equity and debt re-capitalization of platform company Advanced Infusion Solutions (“AIS”). Transaction included private equity infusion from Excellere Partners and The Vistria Group.
- Advanced Infusion Solutions: Acquisition of Barnes Healthcare (asset acquisition) by AIS, expanding AIS’ service lines into home nursing and establishing AIS’ presence in Florida and Georgia. Required complex transition services agreement, planning and counseling with regard to patient transfer and payor contracting.
- The Innovation Institute: Completed 8 add-on acquisitions of services businesses for The Innovation Institute, LLC (“II”), expanding service lines. Also, closed acquisition by II of general and limited partnership interest in healthcare focused venture capital firm Long River Ventures.
Healthcare Law Blog Posts
- Law360, April 23, 2015
- Co-Chair, Orange County Marathon Foundation
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association