Michael McKinnon is a partner in the Corporate Practice Group in the firm's Orange County office. Michael is leader of the firm's Healthcare Private Equity Team.
Areas of Practice
Michael focuses his practice on corporate and securities law, with an emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and equity and debt financings in the healthcare and life sciences industries.
He assists clients in acquiring or investing in medical device companies, home infusion providers, diagnostic imaging providers, medical groups, physician practices, surgery centers, PPO networks, diabetic supply businesses, clinical trial companies and urgent care centers.
Michael serves as a legal and business strategist and as outside general counsel for a variety of healthcare and life sciences companies, including medical device firms and large health systems.
In addition to private practice, Michael has also served as in-house counsel for Apria Healthcare and InSight Health Services Corp., with primary responsibility for the companies’ acquisitions, joint ventures and securities matters.
- Super Care Health: Representing sale of Super Care Health in ongoing limited sale process to various bidders. Super Care is a multi-state provider of home oxygen and respiratory therapy.
- Compass Management: Completed acquisition of Foam Fabricators, Inc. (“FFI”) by PE firm Compass Management. Foam Fabricators is an international manufacturing company with operations in US and Mexico. This was Compass’ first investment in FFI.
- ICON Eye Care: Represented ICON in sale of 10 ophthalmology clinics and 5 surgery centers in Colorado and Texas to PE fund, Cortec Group.
- Abrams Eye Institute: Represented sale of Abrams Eye Institute and Nevada Eye Consultants, ophthalmology clinics and related ASC located in Las Vegas to American Vision Partners.
- Advanced Infusion Solutions: Closed large equity and debt re-capitalization of platform company Advanced Infusion Solutions (“AIS”). Transaction included private equity infusion from Excellere Partners and The Vistria Group.
- Advanced Infusion Solutions: Acquisition of Barnes Healthcare (asset acquisition) by AIS, expanding AIS’ service lines into home nursing and establishing AIS’ presence in Florida and Georgia. Required complex transition services agreement, planning and counseling with regard to patient transfer and payor contracting.
- The Innovation Institute: Completed 18 add-on acquisitions of services businesses for The Innovation Institute, LLC (“II”), expanding service lines. Also, closed acquisition by II of general and limited partnership interest in healthcare focused venture capital firm Long River Ventures.
Best Lawyers in America, Corporate, Best Lawyers, 2018-2023
Mergers and Acquisitions, Legal 500, 2016, 2018
Recommended Lawyer - Healthcare, Legal 500, 2022
Healthcare Law Blog Posts
- "Putting the Brakes on Healthcare M&A and Provider/Payor Contracting: AB 2080 Poised to Dramatically Impact Healthcare Transactions in California," July 7, 2022
- "Trends in Digital Health Funding and Transactions: A Tremendous Year So Far," September 30, 2021
- "CMS “Hospitals Without Walls” Waiver: Looking To ASCs to Provide Relief," April 6, 2020
- Law360, 04.23.2015
- SoCAL Capital Summit: An Association for Corporate Growth Orange County Signature Event, 11.19.2020
- Webinar, 03.27.2020
- Vision 2020: Preparing for the Future of Health Care, November 7-8, 2019
Member, American Health Lawyers Association
Member, American Bar Association, Health Law Section