Mark Patrick is an associate in the Intellectual Property Practice Group in the firm's Washington, D.C. office. He is also the lead associate on the firm’s Social Media and Games Industry Team.
Areas of Practice
Mark is a patent attorney and focuses his practice on patent prosecution, litigation and counseling. He prosecutes U.S. and foreign patent applications across fields such as business methods, computer software, social media, mobile and social games, video games, augmented and virtual reality, blockchain technology and digital currency, e-commerce and financial services, among others.
Mark also works on patent litigation matters that include invalidity and non-infringement analysis, prior art research and drafting litigation documents. In addition, he has experience representing clients in federal district court as well as in inter partes review (IPR) proceedings before the U.S. Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB).
While in law school, Mark externed at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, first as an examiner in a business methods art unit and then as a judicial extern for the PTAB. He also served as a member of the American University Law Review and as a student attorney for the Glushko-Samuelson Intellectual Property Law Clinic.
- PlayUSA, 04.17.2019
- Law360, 11.07.2018
- Law360, 12.01.2015
- “The Federal Circuit and Ultramercial: Software and Business Method Patents Tumble Further Down the Rabbit Hole,” American University Law Review, April 2015
Intellectual Property Law Blog Posts
- "Illinois Federal Judge Awards Treble Damages and Attorneys’ Fees in Kurt Vonnegut-Fueled Opinion," February 23, 2017
- "Federal Circuit Finds Software-Related Claims Patent Eligible in Enfish, LLC v. Microsoft Corp.," May 24, 2016
Video Game Law Blog Posts
- "All Bets are On! Gambling and Video Games," September 13, 2018
- "Are Loot Boxes An Illegal Gambling Mechanic?" October 24, 2017
- "eSports on the Rise as Collegiate Sport," October 18, 2017
- "eSports League Expands with Addition of NFL Owners and Cloud9," August 17, 2017
- "U.S. Supreme Court Set to Address Sports Betting," June 28, 2017
- "Vermont Becomes Second State to Legalize Daily Fantasy Sports in 2017," June 13, 2017
- "New Challenge to Daily Fantasy Sports in New York," October 10, 2016
- "Massachusetts Becomes Ninth State to Legalize Daily Fantasy Sports," August 17, 2016
- "New York Legalizes Daily Fantasy Sports," August 8, 2016
- "The New Face of eSports Venues?" March 25, 2016
- "DraftKings and FanDuel to Suspend Activity in New York, Effective Immediately," March 22, 2016
- "Daily Fantasy Sports is Legalized….At least in Virginia!" March 8, 2016
- "Daily Fantasy Sports Update – DraftKings Sues Texas AG; Activity in GA and IN," March 7, 2016
- "Virginia Passage of Fantasy Sports Law Appears Imminent; PA, NY and MD Bills in the Works," February 26, 2016
Law of the Ledger Blog Posts
J.D., American University, Washington College of Law, 2015
B.S., University of Maryland at College Park, 2011
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit