- J.D., American University, Washington College of Law, 2015
- B.S., University of Maryland at College Park, 2011
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- *Not admitted in D.C. (supervised by D.C. Bar member)
Mark Patrick is an associate in the Intellectual Property Practice Group in the firm's Washington D.C. office. He is also a Lead Associate on the firm’s Social Media and Games industry team.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Patrick is a patent attorney and focuses his practice on patent procurement and strategic patent portfolio development. His areas of technical focus include business methods, computer software, e-commerce, financial services, mobile and social games, social media, and video games, among others.
While in law school, Mr. Patrick externed at the United States Patent and Trademark Office, first as an examiner in a business methods art unit and then as a judicial extern for the Patent Trial and Appeal Board. He also served as a member of the American University Law Review and as a student attorney for the Glushko-Samuelson Intellectual Property Law Clinic.
- Law360, December 1, 2015
- “The Federal Circuit and Ultramercial: Software and Business Method Patents Tumble Further Down the Rabbit Hole,” American University Law Review, April 2015
Intellectual Property Law Blog Posts
- "Illinois Federal Judge Awards Treble Damages and Attorneys’ Fees in Kurt Vonnegut-Fueled Opinion," February 23, 2017
- "Federal Circuit Finds Software-Related Claims Patent Eligible in Enfish, LLC v. Microsoft Corp.," May 24, 2016
Video Game Law Blog Posts
- "U.S. Supreme Court Set to Address Sports Betting," June 28, 2017
- "Vermont Becomes Second State to Legalize Daily Fantasy Sports in 2017," June 13, 2017
- "New Challenge to Daily Fantasy Sports in New York," October 10, 2016
- "Massachusetts Becomes Ninth State to Legalize Daily Fantasy Sports," August 17, 2016
- "New York Legalizes Daily Fantasy Sports," August 8, 2016
- "The New Face of eSports Venues?" March 25, 2016
- "DraftKings and FanDuel to Suspend Activity in New York, Effective Immediately," March 22, 2016
- "Daily Fantasy Sports is Legalized….At least in Virginia!" March 8, 2016
- "Daily Fantasy Sports Update – DraftKings Sues Texas AG; Activity in GA and IN," March 7, 2016
- "Virginia Passage of Fantasy Sports Law Appears Imminent; PA, NY and MD Bills in the Works," February 26, 2016