- J.D., University of California, Hastings, 2006, Public Interest Concentration
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, University of California, Irvine, 2000
- B.S., Mathematics, University of California, Irvine, 2000
- United States District Courts for the Northern and Central Districts of California
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Ninth and District of Columbia Circuits
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Mukund Sharma is an associate in the Intellectual Property Practice Group in the firm's Palo Alto and San Francisco offices.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Sharma specializes in all areas of intellectual property law, including patent and other intellectual property litigation, strategic patent prosecution and counseling, and games and social media counseling. He is a Lead Associate on the Firm’s Social Media and Games Team and is a member of the Firm’s Pro Bono Committee.
Patent Prosecution and Counseling
Mr. Sharma provides strategic patent counseling for startups, mid-size companies, and large public companies. Areas of expertise include analog and digital hardware systems, and software, including social media and games.
Patent and other Litigation
Mr. Sharma supports all stages of patent cases involving electrical, computer, and mechanical technologies. Representative work has included patent cases involving electrical connectors, computer peripherals, and security checkpoint systems, and a consumer class-action for a hard-disk drive manufacturer.
As an Assistant Federal Public Defender for the District of Nevada, he conducted federal pre-trial hearings in federal criminal cases, litigated writs of habeas corpus challenging death sentences, and helped litigated the pre-trial habeas corpus case for a Guantanamo Bay detainee currently facing the death penalty in military court.
Mr. Sharma supports all stages of transactions involving technology companies including social media and game companies.
Mr. Sharma has participated in ex parte appeals, ex parte reexaminations, post-grant proceedings, including post-grant proceedings related to pending patent litigations before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
Representative reexaminations include:
- Inter Partes Reexaminations number 95/001,543; 95/001,546; 95/001,547. Obtained dismissal of Inter Partes reexamination on statutory grounds.
- Ex Parte Reexamination number 90/013,009. Assisted in defeating ex parte reexamination request for maker of airport security and media systems.
Pro Bono Practice
Supported writ of habeas corpus for Florida death row inmate,
Supported litigating writ of habeas corpus for indigent Florida inmate challenging death sentence.
Supported investigation related to culture of municipal police department.
Electrical Engineering Industry Experience
Worked as an ASIC designer and as a software engineer from 2000-2003 at Unisys Corp.
- "Problems and Solutions: Patent Prosecution Tools for Litigators," 2011 Wint. Fed. Bar I.P. Legal Browser 7
- Co-inventor in United States Patent Number 7,321,992, "Reducing Application Downtime in a Cluster Using User-Defined Rules for Proactive Failover"
- "Taking invention Disclosures Post-Alice," Fundamentals of Patent Prosecution: 2015: A Boot Camp for Claim Drafting and Amendment Writing (Practicing Law Institute (2015 and 2016).
Intellectual Property Law Blog Posts
- "FTC Proposes Consent Order to Settle Charges Alleging Misrepresentations by Patent Assertion Entity," November 7, 2014
Video Game Law Blog Posts
- "California Repeals Prohibition on Use of Alternative Currencies," January 8, 2015
- "Georgia’s Limited Tax Credits for Interactive Entertainment Producers," April 21, 2014
- "Bargaining with the Little Green Robot: Understanding the Google Play Developer Distribution Agreement," March 28, 2014
- "Bitcoins and Liability in the Wake of Recent Silk Road Arrests," February 7, 2014
- Moderator, "Today’s Interpretation of Computer Laws Developed for a Bygone Age," ABA Criminal Justice Section Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA (2016)
- Faculty Member, "Fundamentals of Patent Prosecution, A Boot Camp for Claim Drafting and Amendment Writing," Practicing Law Institute (2015)
- Moderator, "White Collar Crime Update – Western Region," 28 Annual ABA National Institute on White Collar Crime, Miami, FL (2014)
- Guest Lecturer, "Legal Issues Facing Startups," Stanford Business 110 (Winter 2016, Fall 2015, Fall 2014, Fall 2013, Fall 2011)
- Guest Lecturer, "Restorative Themes in Criminal Justice," Western Justice Center, Pasadena, CA (Aug. 21, 2009)
- Video Game Bar Association
- Lead Associate for Social Media and Games Team
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- Member of Sheppard Mullin's Pro Bono Committee
- Associate Representative for Sheppard Mullin’s Palo Alto Office
- Co-Chair of ABA White Collar Crime Subcommittee on Computer Crime, Intellectual Property, and Trade Secrets