Matthew Shatzkes is a partner in the Corporate Practice Group in the New York office of Sheppard Mullin and is a member of the firm’s healthcare practice team.
Areas of Practice
Matthew provides strategic, regulatory, compliance, and transactional advice to all manner of health care clients, including health systems, hospitals, academic medical centers, long-term care providers, ambulatory surgery centers, diagnostic and treatment centers, physician practices, digital health companies and investors.
On the transactional side, Matthew advises clients on corporate issues surrounding complex joint ventures between healthcare entities. He also has experience negotiating mergers and advising clients on professional services and management/administrative services agreements, and regularly advises clients on formation, corporate governance and operational matters for various healthcare entities.
Matthew also has extensive experience in the health care technology area and assists clients in successfully navigating the risks and benefits of health care technology transactions. He has developed broad experience with license, clinical, revenue cycle and other types of technology agreements. He also advises healthcare providers, emerging health IT companies, vendors and investors in the digital health industry on regulatory and strategic matters critical to telehealth and other health technology products, platforms and services. Matthew has worked with digital health startups, IT vendors and health systems to develop and implement telehealth networks throughout the United States.
In addition to his transactional experience, Matthew advises clients on regulatory compliance matters, including healthcare facility, pharmacy and laboratory licensure and certification, data security and privacy (including HIPAA compliance), fraud and abuse laws, and corporate practice of medicine. His practice includes representation of healthcare providers and their business associates in the implementation of HIPAA compliance programs, OCR investigations, HIPAA Breach responses, and various cyber security and interoperability issues.
Prior to entering into private practice, Matthew worked as a judicial fellow for the Honorable Roger N. Rosengarten at the New York Supreme Court, Queens County. By beginning his career as a litigator, Matthew also has experience in representing clients in business and commercial disputes involving, among others, fiduciary obligations and breach of contract claims.
New York Rising Stars, Super Lawyers, Healthcare, 2017-2019
Associates to Watch, Chambers USA, Healthcare, 2019
- Cuomo Proposes Telehealth ExpansionCrain's New York Business, 01.11.2018
- Law360, 12.20.2017
Healthcare Law Blog Posts
- "Legislation Re-Introduced to Expand Access to Telehealth Under Medicare," November 7, 2019
- "California Expands Medicaid Telehealth Policy," October 7, 2019
- "OIG to Audit Provision of Behavioral Health Services Through Tele-Health Under Medicaid Managed Care," October 4, 2019
- "CMS Expands Telehealth Benefits under Medicare Advantage," April 10, 2019
- "Federal Regulatory Developments Brewing in Telehealth," July 18, 2018
- "Texas Hospital Order to Pay $4.3M for Failure to Implement its HIPAA Security Policies," July 5, 018
- "The VA MISSION Act: Enhancing Healthcare for Veterans," June 12, 2018
- "Telehealth In 2017: What Changed And What’s Ahead," December 28, 2017
Privacy Law Blog Posts
- "HHS Reduces Penalties for HIPAA Violations; Distinguishes Based on Culpability," May 15, 2019
- "HHS Announces First HIPAA Breach Settlement of 2019; 300,000 Patients Affected," May 13, 2019
- "HIPAA Breach Results in a $4,500,000 Class Action Settlement," February 20, 2019
- "Company’s Vendor Suffers Breach, No Business Associate Agreement, $500K OCR Settlement," December 20, 2018
- "States Taking Actions Against Health IT Companies Over Data Breaches," December 18, 2018
- "Texas Hospital Order to Pay $4.3M for Failure to Implement its HIPAA Security Policies," July 5, 2018
American Bar Association
American Health Lawyers Association
New York State Bar Association
St. John's University School of Law, 2011, cum laude, Associate Managing Editor, Journal of Civil Rights and Economic Development
Brooklyn College, 2008, magna cum laude
- New York State Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- New Jersey State Courts
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- Connecticut State Courts
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut