- LL.M., Entertainment and Media Law Policy, University of California, Los Angeles, 2011, Managing Editor of UCLA Entertainment Law Review
- Université Aix-Marseille III, (France), Certificat d´Etudes Juridiques Comparatives
- Universidad San Pablo CEU, (Spain), International Student Exchange
- Universidad Católica Argentina (UCA), Abogado (JD equivalent)
Marcos Vergara del Carril is an associate in the Entertainment, Technology and Advertising Practice Group in the firm's Century City office.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Vergara focuses on transactional entertainment matters, including development, financing, production, acquisition and distribution of motion pictures, branded content, virtual reality, digital and television programming; music publishing, touring, and record deals; consignment and auctions of paintings; social media and DMCA compliance; employment and guild matters; advertising, sponsorship, and FTC compliance. He has worked on projects for cutting-edge companies such as Amazon Studios, Vice Media, Snapchat, Focus Features, Diamond Films, Cine Latino, Studiocanal, Ogilvy & Mather, Activision, Cox Communications, The Fyzz Facility, Alazraki Films, Campanario Entertainment, 2929, Nickelodeon, and Oficina Burman.
Prior to joining Sheppard Mullin, Mr. Vergara worked in the Capital Markets & Finance Practice Group of Clifford Chance in Madrid, where he advised international companies and financial institutions in major debt restructuring transactions, securitization facilities and security packages. During his five year stay in Madrid, Mr. Vergara travelled regularly to Aix-en-Provence, where he also obtained a Certificat d´Etudes Juridiques Comparatives from Université Aix-Marseille III. Mr. Vergara then moved to Los Angeles to pursue the Entertainment and Media Law Policy LL.M. Program at UCLA School of Law.
Mr. Vergara’s passion is to help his clients thrive. His personal and professional background gives international clients across Latin America, Spain, and France a unique opportunity to translate the always complex Hollywood legal jargon into plain language.
Mr. Vergara, a native of Argentina, is a proud member of the Board of Directors of the National Association of Latino Independent Producers (NALIP), a premiere nonprofit organization that addresses the needs of Latino content creators. He is a regular speaker of NALIP’s Annual Media Summits.
Mr. Vergara published a book entitled ¡Déjame hablar!, on freedom of expression and media consolidation in the U.S., covering free TV, cable TV, satellite TV, video games and the Internet.
- “¡Déjame Hablar! (Let Me Talk),” freedom of expression and U.S. media consolidation
- "The Hobbit Adventure in a Globalized World," Social Science Research Network, October 21, 2011
- "Minority Shareholders in a Corporate Entity. An Overview Under Comparative Law," International Business Transactions, 3d (Practitioner Treatise Series), 2011-2012
- "Los Parientes Del Aporte Irrevocable en el Derecho Continental Europeo," regarding profit participating loans under continental European law, El Derecho magazine, February 2007
Latin American Law Blog Posts
- "New Tax Information Exchange Agreement Between the United States and Argentina," January 4, 2017
- "Argentina Lifts its Currency Exchange, Exports, and Imports Restrictions," January 5, 2016
- "Film Tax Incentives in Latin America," July 18, 2014
- "Otro nuevo capítulo a la batalla legal sobre la neutralidad en Internet," January 23, 2014
- "Apple is fighting back in Brazilian courts to get its iPhone trademark," October 11, 2013
- "Argentina’s financial fate now depends on the U.S. Supreme Court," August 27, 2013
- "Film distributors will face new administrative hurdles in Argentina," July 18, 2013
- "Ofertas de paquetes (habitualmente llamados tier) de canales de televisión por el operador de cable. ¿Qué pasa cuando el operador es dueño de ciertos canales y se discrimina a los canales competidores no afiliados?" June 3, 2013
- "Mexico's Telecommunications' reform ready to be signed by President Peña Nieto," May 24, 2013
- "Vivir de la Música en la Era Digital. ¿Cuándo le Toca a Argentina?" May 15, 2013
- "The fate of Argentina's debt restructuring is getting closer," April 10, 2013
- "Historical Reform of the Mexican Telecommunications Industry," March 19, 2013
- "Cross-Border legal practice," International Bar Association Annual Congress, Buenos Aires, Argentina, October 15, 2008
- A Practical Approach to Doing Business in Mexico’s Telecommunications Sector Within the New Regulatory FrameworkHosted by The United States Chamber of Commerce & Federal Communications Bar AssociationNovember 14, 2014
- Board of Directors, National Association of Independent Latino Producers (NALIP), 2015-present
- Co-Chair, Southern California Chapter of the Federal Communications Bar Association, 2015-2016