Breakfast With Your Labor Lawyer - Palo Alto
Spring 2017 Seminar Series
7:30 a.m. - 8:00 a.m. Registration & Breakfast
8:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. Program
379 Lytton Avenue
Palo Alto, CA 94301
Registration & Materials: $50
Paul Cowie, Partner, Sheppard Mullin
Keahn Morris, Associate, Sheppard Mullin
Please join us for Sheppard Mullin's Breakfast With Your Labor Lawyer Seminar Series. This year, you will have to face many new developments in California labor and employment laws that will significantly affect the way you run your day-to-day business operations. We will provide you with analysis and insights on these new laws and offer practical advice and helpful tools to ensure compliance and protect your company from liability in the workplace. We will cover:
WAGE AND HOUR
- Meal and Rest Breaks for California Employees
- Expansion of the Fair Pay Act
- Paid Sick Leave Laws
- The Growth of Local Wage and Hour Laws
- Minimum Wage Increases
- Developments Regarding the Department of Labor's Overtime Rule
- Pay Stubs for Exempt Employees
HIRING, FIRING, AND OTHER PERSONNEL ISSUES
- Restrictions on Use of Criminal History Information
- New Considerations for Employment Agreements
- Protections for Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault, and Stalking Victims
- Marijuana Use in the Workplace
- All-Gender Restrooms (AB 1732)
- New Workplace Health and Safety Laws
- Revised EEOC Enforcement Priorities
DISABILITIES, ACCOMMODATIONS & LEAVES OF ABSENCE
- "Associational" Disability Discrimination
- Recent EEOC Guidance on Disabilities and Leaves of Absence
- Paid Family Leave Expansion (AB 908)
- Whistleblower Complaints Continue to Increase
- OSHA's Recommended Practices for Anti-Retaliation Programs
- Whistleblower Compliance Issues for Separation Agreements and Settlements
- The Enforceability of Class Action Waivers
- Availability of Class Arbitration
EXPECTED TRENDS / ISSUES FOR 2017
- Transgender Rights
- Local Wage Enforcement Activity
- Pending California Supreme Court Decisions
- Potential Expansion of Parental Leave Rights in California
- Potential Effects of the Trump Administration on Employment Laws
Our attorneys will be available after the presentation to answer all of your legal questions.
If you have colleagues who share your interest in this topic, please invite them to attend with you.
We look forward to seeing you for this informative, engaging and interactive seminar.
This activity complies with standards for Minimum Continuing Legal Education prescribed by the California State Bar and is approved for 2 hours of MCLE credit.
Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP is a State Bar of California approved MCLE provider.
This program is approved for 2 (general) recertification credit hours toward PHR, SPHR and GPHR recertification through the HR Certification Institute.
Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP is an HRCI Approved Provider (valid through December 31, 2017).
Questions? Email Melissa Omphroy at firstname.lastname@example.org