Breakfast with Your Labor Lawyer - San Francisco
Spring 2019 Seminar Series
7:30 a.m. - 8:00 a.m. Registration & Breakfast
8:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. Program
Four Embarcadero Center, 17th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94111
Registration & Materials $50
Jennifer Redmond, Partner, Sheppard Mullin
Morgan Forsey, Partner, Sheppard Mullin
Babak Yousefzadeh, Partner, Sheppard Mullin
Keahn Morris, Associate, Sheppard Mullin
Please join us for Sheppard Mullin's Breakfast With Your Labor Lawyer Seminar Series. This year, you will have to face many new developments in California labor and employment laws that will significantly affect the way you run your day-to-day business operations. We will provide you with analysis and insights on these new laws and offer practical advice and helpful tools to ensure compliance and protect your company from liability in the workplace. We will cover:
- The California Consumer Privacy Act; how it will impact employment data, employee rights and employer obligations
- A review of background checks; what is and is not allowed; case law imposing new disclosure and consent obligations
- Marijuana and drug testing; a year after legalization
Practical Implications of New Wage & Hour Cases
- Surprising new rules regarding on-call shift policies
- Consequences and risks of increasing minimum wage
- Risk of rounding
- Timesheet certifications
- Importance of accurate time records and document retention policies
- Voluntary meal period waivers for healthcare employees
- Personal liability for civil penalties
- New tip pooling rules under federal/state law
High Risk Areas for Employers
- Independent contractors after the landmark Dynamex case
- Joint employer issues
- Uber/Lyft litigation and other service technology platforms
- Vendor engagement for payroll processors
- Employee non-solicit agreements under attack
- New required harassment trainin
- The risk of sexual harassment litigation in the #MeToo world
- NLRB’s new independent contractor test
- Effect of government shutdown on e-Verify, I-9s, visas and back pay
Our attorneys will be available after the presentation to answer all of your legal questions.
If you have colleagues who share your interest in this topic, please invite them to attend with you.
We look forward to seeing you for this informative, engaging and interactive seminar.
This activity complies with standards for Minimum Continuing Legal Education prescribed by the California State Bar and is approved for 2 hours of MCLE credit.
Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP is a State Bar of California approved MCLE provider.
This program is approved for 2 (California) recertification credit hours toward aPHR™, aPHRi™, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRi™ and SPHRi™ recertification through the HR Certification Institute.
Questions? Contact Lindsey Delas Alas via email or 714.424.2819.