Forewarned is Forearmed
Deferred Prosecution Agreements and the UK Aerospace and Defense Industry
Registration & Breakfast
8:00 a.m. - 8:30 a.m.
Presentation & Q+A
8:30 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
Bird & Bird
15 Fetter Lane
London EC4A 1JP
Aerospace, Defense and Security: a series of breakfast seminars
"The most important development in UK anti-corruption prosecutions since the UK Bribery Act"
The Deferred Prosecution Agreement, or DPA, was added to the arsenal of UK prosecutors in the Crime and Courts Act 2013. The DPA is a powerful tool that alters the way criminal investigations are conducted and resolved. This seminar will examine the future of DPAs in the UK. Particular emphasis will be given to the potential use of DPAs in criminal investigations involving the aerospace and defence industry. In particular, our panel will consider the following topics:
- The U.S. experience (where DPAs have been available and widely used for decades)
- The background leading up to the introduction of DPAs into UK law
- The Law and the Code of Practice on DPAs, published by the Director of the Serious Fraud Office (SFO) and the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP)
- Guidance on the financial penalties for companies convicted of criminal offences, produced by the UK Sentencing Council
- Practical compliance and investigative issues to consider
- Ben Morgan, Joint Head of Bribery & Corruption, UK Serious Fraud Office
- J. Scott Maberry, Partner, International Trade and Investigations, Sheppard Mullin LLP, Washington, DC
- Patrick Gilfillan, Senior Associate, Dispute Resolution, Bird & Bird, London
The session will be chaired by Peter Knight, Partner, Dispute Resolution, Bird & Bird, London