Drug Repurposing: Opportunities and Challenges
Presented by UCSF-CTSI Catalyst Awards
Breakfast 8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
Program 9:00 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.
Genetech Hall, Byers Auditorium
UCSF Mission Bay Campus
600 16th Street
San Francisco, CA
Join leaders in the therapeutics field to discuss the potential of and challenges involved in progressing old drugs for new indications.
Repurposing established drugs for new indications, delivery options and markets has significant potential and is an appealing option. The strategy has attracted considerable interest from researchers, NIH NCATS, patient foundations, industry and investors. However, it is a challenging strategy in terms of access to previous data, intellectual property exclusivity and regulatory exclusivity, business models and achieving investment.
The aim of this seminar is to discuss these challenges and identify successful strategies to progress established drugs for unmet medical need. We have assembled a panel of experts who have all been involved in progressing approaches, considering investments in or responsible for IP strategies for repurposed drugs.
- Lorna Tanner, Partner, Intellectual Property Practice Group, Sheppard, Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP
- June Lee, MD, FACCP, Director, Early Translational Research Clinical & Translational Science Institute
- Cathy Tralau-Stewart, PhD, FRSC, Head of Therapeutics Track, Catalyst Program Sr. Program Manager Early Translational Research Clinical & Translational Science Institute
- Brian G. Atwood, MS, MBA, Managing Director, Versant Ventures
- Cyril De Colle, MS, PhD, Pharmaceutical Professional Entrepreneur, Founder & President, Neurogastrx
- Ken Horne, MS, CEO, Symic Biomedical, Managing Partner, Ruphena LLC
- William P. Quinn, MA, MBA, Founder & CEO, Bullet Biotechnology
- J. Elin Hartrum, J.D., LL.M., Associate General Counsel, IP Gilead Sciences, Inc.