Jim Curry is an experienced trial lawyer with in the commercial litigation area, in a broad range of subject matters, including renewable energy and large construction litigation. Jim Curry has substantial experience in renewable energy litigation, in both construction and accounting cases. Jim Curry has substantial experience in construction defect and inverse condemnation litigation, and recently was trial counsel for the Los Angeles MTA for 30 actions brought by landowners along the Wilshire Corridor for damage allegedly caused by the subway construction. Jim Curry also has substantial experience in representing cities and public entities such as the City of Los Angeles, the Los Angeles MTA, Lynwood, Redondo Beach, Inglewood, South Gate, West Covina, Santa Ana, Huntington Beach, San Bernardino, the Independent Cities Association (ICA), the Independent Cities Risk Management Association (ICRMA), California State Universities System and the Big Independent Cities Excess Pool Joint Powers Authority (BICEP).
Some of Jim Curry’s relevant cases are:
- Jim Curry was lead trial counsel for the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority for the Wilshire Corridor subway construction project over a several year period. Most of the cases settled for reasonable amounts after two trial victories for the MTA. The first was a trial on claims for $25 million in physical damage from MTA construction, and economic and business damages allegedly caused by the Wilshire Boulevard corridor subway construction project. The owner of a major Wilshire office building brought an action for inverse condemnation, nuisance and other related torts. After a several week trial, the court ruled in favor of the MTA for a defense verdict. The other case involved an arbitration on behalf of the MTA against the owner of the Wiltern Theater and Office Building for inverse condemnation, nuisance and related torts, arising from the subway construction. In a hybrid mediation/arbitration, the parties agreed to arbitrate several of the claims. After a 5 month trial, the arbitrator awarded a relatively small judgment which was 25% of the last settlement offer by the MTA.
- Jim Curry recently forced an insurer to settle claims against a large Southern California refinery based on land contamination.
- Jim Curry represented CalEnergy in litigation brought by landowners claiming that the geothermal extraction of fluids and injection was causing subsidence, and causing earthquakes which led to subsidence.
- Jim Curry represented PanAero Energy Corporation in litigation with its partner Zond Energy, later Enron, over a twenty year accounting action for a wind farm located outside Palm Springs.
- Jim Curry represented the Powerine/CENCO refinery in numerous lawsuits regarding the attempt re-start, and eventual dismantling, of this Santa Fe Springs refinery, including environmental lawsuits, lawsuits against governmental entities and large equipment sale lawsuits.
- Jim Curry represented Kilroy Realty against Hughes Aircraft for construction defects in a large commercial office building near LAX.
- Jim Curry represented Century West in litigation against the builder of the upscale Home development in Century City.
- Jim Curry represented Maison de Ville in litigation brought by a home-owner that dangerous mold conditions prevailed in the complex.
- In 2002, Jim Curry forced dismissal of an action brought against the City of Lynwood for damages arising out of billboard construction.
- In 2001, Jim Curry represented the Kilroy Realty Company against Hughes Aircraft and various insurers denying coverage over damage to an office building located near LAX.
- Jim Curry has also in the past represented several large Homeowners’ associations in construction defect actions against developers and insurers who were attempting to deny coverage.
- Jim Curry is counsel for the Big Independent Cities Association in an insurance coverage dispute with former member, the City of Pomona, and the insurer, ICW.
- Jim Curry currently represents the California State University System in several large insurance coverage litigations.
- Jim Curry currently has two insurance coverage litigations on behalf of two different homeowners' associations.
The Best Lawyers in America, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011
Southern California Super Lawyers, 2009, 2010, 2011
Power Lawyer, Hollywood Reporter, 2009
- Los Angeles Daily Journal, 04.07.2008
Los Angeles County Bar Association
American Bar Association