- J.D., Harvard Law School, 1976, cum laude
- B.A., Harvard University, 1971, cum laude
- United States Tax Court
Paul Metzger is special counsel in the Tax, Employee Benefits and Trusts and Estates Practice Group in the firm's Chicago office. He concentrates his practice in the federal income tax aspects of business transactions, particularly mergers and acquisitions, financing transactions and the use of limited liability companies and partnerships in business transactions. He has extensive experience in structuring both taxable and tax-free acquisitions and divestitures and private equity investments. His practice also includes the general representation of closely held businesses with respect to their business and tax planning.
Mr. Metzger frequently advises clients on the tax aspects of equity-based compensation, particularly stock options, restricted stock and stock appreciation rights. He also has extensive experience in connection with tax-exempt financings. He represents clients in tax controversies with the Internal Revenue Service and the Illinois Department of Revenue.
- Illinois Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers, 2014
- Best Lawyer in America (Corporate Law), Best Lawyers, 2013-2017
- Illinois Leading Lawyers (Publicly Held Corporations Law)
- Tax on Corporate Transactions: United States, Practical Law Company Cross-Border Tax Handbook, 2007
Corporate & Securities Law Blog Articles
- Mr. Metzger has been a frequent lecturer on the subject of mergers and acquisitions at the American Management Association.
- Member, Tax Section, American Bar Association
- Board Member, Officer, Association House of Chicago
- Honorary Founding Director, Ounce of Prevention Fund