Robert Ahn is special counsel in the Real Estate, Land Use and Environmental Practice Group in the firm’s Los Angeles office.
Areas of Practice
A former Planning Commissioner for the City of Los Angeles (2013-2017), Robert’s practice focuses on land use matters and commercial real estate transactions. He advises investors and developers on land use projects, providing unique insights and strategic advice with regard to entitlements across all asset types. He has represented clients in real estate transactions such as acquisitions and dispositions, financing, commercial leasing, joint venture transactions and entity formation and structuring.
A native Angeleno, Robert is active both civically and politically in Los Angeles and currently serves as the President of the Cannabis Regulation Commission for the City of Los Angeles, as an appointee of Mayor Eric Garcetti. In 2017, Robert was a candidate for the U.S. Congress, 34th District, in a special election to fill the seat vacated by Xavier Becerra, advancing to the General Election with a top 2 finish out of 23 candidates in the Primary Election.
Robert received his B.B.A. from Emory University (Dean’s List) and his J.D. from the University of Southern California Law School (Hale Moot Court Honors Program).
- President, City of Los Angeles Cannabis Regulation Commission (2017-Present)
- Commissioner, City of Los Angeles City Planning Commission (2013-2017)
- Commissioner, City of Los Angeles Redistricting Commission (2011-2012)
- Demystifying LA City's Cannabis Licensing & Regulatory Program, Los Angeles County Bar Association, 2020
- Welcome Keynote, Cannabis World Congress and Business Expo 2019, LA Convention Center
- "The California Opportunity" – Regulations and the Implications for Real Estate Investors and Cannabis Operators, Institutional Capital and Cannabis Conference (IC3) 2019
- One Year In… Expert Panel Discussion of California’s Legalized Cannabis Industry, Nutrition Industry Association, 2019
- FDA, FTC, City of LA: Emerging Cannabis Product Guidelines, Nutrition Industry Association, 2018
- Member, Executive Committee, Los Angeles County Bar Association Cannabis Section
- Board Member, UCLA Ziman Center Affordable Housing Advisory Council
- Board Member, Anderson Munger Family YMCA
- Board Member, Harvard-Westlake Korean American Alumni Network