Rena Andoh is a partner in the Business Trial Practice Group in the firm's New York office. Rena is also Chair of the Firm’s Diversity & Inclusion Committee.
Area of Practice
Rena has substantial trial and arbitration hearing experience, including acting as lead counsel/first chair trial counsel in complex commercial matters and class action matters. Rena also maintains an active appellate practice and has argued before the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit and the First Department of the New York State Supreme Court, Appellate Division. She has extensive experience litigating in state and federal jurisdictions, particularly in the Commercial Division of the New York State Supreme Court system. Rena routinely handles expedited litigation such as restraining orders, attachments, and injunctions. She also litigates matters before international and domestic arbitration forums, including the AAA (and the ICDR), JAMS, FINRA, and the ICC.
Rena specializes in complex electronic discovery, and counsels clients on practical and legal issues relating to forensic preservation and analysis of electronic devices.
Prior to entering the legal profession, Rena was a professional violist.
Rena’s broad practice includes:
Trade Secret and Restrictive Covenant Litigation
Rena has served as lead jury trial counsel in trade secret and restrictive covenant litigation. She recently obtained a complete defense verdict for a company and individuals accused of corporate raiding and trade secret theft in the financial industry. Rena also handles preliminary injunction hearings and expedited litigation with respect to the enforcement of restrictive covenants, including employee and client non-solicitation agreements, trade secret restrictions, and covenants not to compete.
General Commercial and Business Litigation
Rena handles contract and tort disputes involving numerous industries, including healthcare, financial services, real estate, technology, military contracting, entertainment, advertising, cybersecurity, and energy, among many others. She also defends companies against Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) claims. She additionally defends board members in breach of fiduciary duty actions as well as lawsuits involving investors (with respect to both private and public companies).
Intellectual Property Litigation
Rena regularly litigates copyright and patent cases. In addition to her work in standard intellectual property jurisdictions, she practices in the Court of Federal Claims defending military contractors against infringement claims made in connection with work done for the United States Government.
False Claims Act Litigation
Rena is currently acting as lead defense counsel to a health care provider in a major False Claims Act case in the Southern District of New York, and has experience defending companies in cases that have proceeded from the Civil Investigative Demand phase to litigation.
Discrimination Claim Litigation
Rena has a long track record of successfully defending companies against claims of discrimination. Her recent successes include a complete victory on a motion to dismiss age and gender discrimination claims, as well as wage claims, in the Southern District of New York.
Rena has conducted a number of internal investigations relating to whistleblower allegations and other workplace complaints. Those investigations include subject matter such as theft, various forms of fraud, and discrimination/harassment.
Rena has represented a number of clients investigated by government agencies and/or regulators, or subpoenaed as witnesses in those investigations. She has represented clients in connection with investigations overseen by organizations including the New York Attorney General’s office, the Department of Justice, the Southern District of New York, and numerous bank and financial service regulators.
New York Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2014, 2015
Seymour Goldstein Memorial Prize for Achievement in Labor Law, 2003
Notable Women in Law, Crain's New York, 2019
- Text Messages as Evidence: The Current State of Affairs in New York State CourtsNew York Law Journal, 02.12.2018
- INSIGHTS, 09.2016
- "Redaction In Discovery: The State Of Affairs In NY," Law360, July 31, 2015
- "International Arbitration Update: Choosing A Forum In Disputes Arising Out Of India," The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, November 2013
Corporate & Securities Law Blog Posts
- "Second Circuit Affirms Dismissal of Short-Swing Profit Claim Against Goldman Sachs Arising from Six-Month Call Options," February 4, 2014
- "Second Circuit Rules That Putative Auction Rate Securities Class Action Complaints Failed to Adequately Plead Antitrust Conspiracy," March 13, 2013
- "The Second Circuit Finds No Section 16(b) Violation Where Different Securities of the Same Issuer Are Bought and Sold," January 10, 2012
New York Commercial Division Round Up Blog Posts
- "The Commercial Division Reviews Arbitrations: Three Recent Decisions Clarify Standards For Actions Brought Pursuant To Article 75 of the CPLR," March 24, 2014
- “So You’re Saying There’s A Chance…”: Yellowstone Injunctions Alive and Well in the Commercial Division," October 29, 2013
- "New York Court of Appeals Upholds Broad Choice of New York Law Provision in Contract Even in Absence of Contacts With New York," January 28, 2013
- "First Department Affirms Commercial Division Ruling That Facts Arising After Litigation Commences Cannot Save An Otherwise Deficient Claim," November 7, 2012
- "Buyer Beware: Court Decision Highlights Importance of Performing Careful Diligence," September 10, 2012
- "Court of Appeals Clarifies Standard for Unjust Enrichment," July 16, 2012
- "Court of Appeals Affirms Commercial Division Ruling Stating Creditors of SIV-Lites Have No Cause of Action for Breach of Fiduciary Duty and Tortious Interference Without a Contract," July 16, 2012
- Diversity & Inclusion Committee Chair Rena Andoh Interviewed about Firm’s Inclusive Engagement Task ForceNasdaq #TradeTalks, 11.20.2020
- Law360, 07.09.2019
- The American Lawyer, 12.21.2017
- Samsung, Alcoa Settle $200M Saudi Metal Plant DisputeLaw360, 08.29.2016
- Samsung Slams Alcoa's Bid To Pause Discovery In $200M RowLaw360, 08.15.2016
- Samsung Unit Claims Alcoa Interference Stymied Saudi ProjectLaw360, 03.30.2016
- Panelist, "Having a Successful Summer: Tips for Summer Associates," New York City Bar, April 24, 2014
- Fall 2019, Convene, 11.14.2019
New York State Bar Association
- Labor and Employment
- Intellectual Property
- International Reach
- International Arbitration
- White Collar Defense and Corporate Investigations
- Government Contracts, Investigations & International Trade
J.D., New York University School of Law, 2003
B.M., University of Michigan, 1995
- New York
- Washington, D.C.
- D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals
- Second Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of New York
- Court of Federal Claims