Bob Copeland is a Special Counsel in the Corporate Practice Group in the firm’s San Diego office.
Areas of Practice
Bob practices in the area of corporate law with an emphasis on corporate finance, securities, real estate and mergers and acquisitions. He also is ready and able to assist business owners seeking a liquidity solution in locating financing and acquisition sources. He has served as an expert witness in several litigations involving complex business, partnership and tax disputes. Bob also holds a certificate from the National Conflict Resolution Center in advanced mediation and is available to mediate complex pre-litigation and litigated matters.
Bob has extensive experience in representing and advising individual owners and the boards of directors and executive leadership of companies concerning corporate governance, securities, and corporate law and real estate law transactions.
He has led numerous corporate finance, recapitalization and initial public offering transactions. He has extensive experience and expertise in representing targets, as well as strategic and financial buyers in mergers and acquisition transactions both within the U.S. as well as in Europe, and the Middle East.
Bob’s clients cross over many industries, from start-ups to seasoned businesses:
- Defense and Aerospace
- Energy and Cogeneration Projects
- Entertainment and Media
- Food Service and Hospitality
- Medical Instrumentation
- Nonprofit Organizations
- Onshore and Offshore Industrial Manufacturing
- Private Universities
- Service Businesses
- Software and Hardware Development and Deployment
- Venture Capital and Private Equity
Bob acted as outside general counsel for the 1995 defense of the America’s Cup and was on the firm team representing the City of San Francisco which hosted the 2013 America’s Cup. Bob advised USA45 Racing LLC, which was one of the two US teams entered in the Red Bull Youth America's Cup which was held in conjunction with the 2013 America's Cup event in San Francisco in late summer, 2013. He advised the Extreme San Diego-OC sports joint venture which presented an extreme sailing regattas in San Diego during October 2017 and 2018. The events featured very high speed foiling 32 foot catamarans.
Bob also takes assignments as an expert witness in cases involving transactional issues and as a mediator of disputes among parties to civil suits.
Martindale Hubbell, AV Preeminent Rating
Bob has been listed in the national legal directory, The Best Lawyers in America every year since 1987, and in the Best Lawyers in San Diego (San Diego Magazine, April 2001-2020). He was named a Super Lawyer for San Diego (2007-2019). He received the Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award (Marquis Who’s Who) in 2017.
- Bob jointly authored the chapter on Mergers in Drafting Agreements for Sale of Businesses (California Continuing Education of the Bar); participated in the preparation of the California State Bar Business Law Section Corporation Guide, and the ABA Business Law Section publications: Manual on Acquisition Review, Model Stock Purchase and Model Asset Purchase Agreements. He has lectured and written on various subjects related to mergers and acquisitions, real estate, corporate, partnership and LLC law. He has served on the California State Bar Business Law Section Committee on Corporations and the ABA Business Law Section Committee on Negotiated Acquisitions since its founding in the early 1980s.
- "Ready or Not, the Revised Uniform Limited Liability Company Act Is Now the Law in California," California Real Property Journal, June 2014; republished San Diego County Bar Association Newsletter, 2016.
- "California's New LLC Act Needs Clarification," Law360, August 26, 2013
Corporate & Securities Law Blog Posts
- Frequent speaker on corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, liquidity planning and current developments in the law governing limited liability companies, topics for the Association for Corporate Growth, North County (San Diego) Estate Planning Council, San Diego County Bar Association, the State Bar of California, the Mergers & Acquisitions Committee of the Business Law Section of the American Bar Association and the CFO Leadership Council.
California State Bar
San Diego County Bar Association
Mergers & Acquisitions Committee, Business Law Section, American Bar Association
Attend Chairmen’s Roundtable as firm representative
Current Non-Profit Affiliations:
Founder, President and Board Member, Thomas C. Ackerman Foundation
Board Member, San Diego Yacht Club Sailing Foundation
Board Member, Any Body Can Youth Foundation
Co-Chair, Advisory Board, Scripps Clinic - Scripps Green Hospital, La Jolla, CA
Board Member, Sailing Events Association of San Diego
J.D., University of Southern California School of Law, 1966
A.B., Occidental College, 1963