- J.D., University of California - Los Angeles, 1990
- B.A., University of Pennsylvania, 1983
- U. S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Northern, Eastern, Central and Southern Districts of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
Rebecca (“Bec”) Edelson is a partner in the Intellectual Property and Litigation Practice Groups and leads the firm's Trade Secrets Team. Bec prides herself in providing creative solutions that meet her clients’ business and budget goals.
Areas of Practice
Bec represents businesses in intellectual property, unfair competition and injunction matters. She handles all phases of state and federal litigation, including pre-trial development, discovery and motion practice, trials, writs and appeals. She also counsels businesses on how to proactively protect their proprietary rights and information to minimize the risk of litigation.
Bec represents clients in a variety of industries, including the entertainment, aerospace, energy, retail, fashion, financial, medical technology, biotech, computer, database, toy, jewelry, industrial equipment, lighting technology, insurance, food and travel and leisure industries, among others.
Bec routinely publishes and speaks on trade secret issues. She is co-editor and co-author of the treatise, Trade Secret Litigation and Protection in California, published by the State Bar of California, as well as its 2017 supplement on the Defend Trade Secrets Act (DTSA). She also contributed to an English language handbook on trade secret litigation in the United States created for the Ministry of Commerce of the People’s Republic of China.
Bec served from 2015-2016 on the Board of Directors for the Century City Chamber of Commerce. She also served as the 2004-2005 Chair of the Executive Committee of the Intellectual Property Section of the State Bar of California, and is former Chair of its Trade Secrets and Grants Subcommittees.
- Recipient, Century City Chamber of Commerce’s Women of Achievement Award - Law, 2004
- Obtained consent judgment for aerospace company in trade secret case against misappropriator shortly after deposing defendant.
- Defeated motion for preliminary injunction in dispute between foreign manufacturer of food products (client) and its former U.S. distributor. Later obtained summary judgment in client’s favor on distributor’s claims and client’s counter-claims, and against distributor and its owner.
- Favorably settled copyright infringement dispute after persuading Court to deny plaintiff’s request to forego Hague Convention service on client, a foreign content producer.
- Favorably settled during trial trade secret dispute brought by medical device manufacturer client against former distributor.
- Obtained favorable jury verdict for manufacturer and designer of fashion accessories in trade dress and copyright dispute.
- Obtained temporary restraining order, permanent injunction and monetary award against infringers of client’s copyrights and trademarks of client.
- Obtained insurance coverage for food manufacturer client from loss arising from contaminated packets of ketchup by persuading arbitrator loss fell within “explosion” exception to coverage exclusions because ketchup packets had burst due to contamination.
- Advised on measures for client to reduce risk of misappropriation of trade secret information.
- Advised on measures to reduce likelihood of misappropriation claims against client by member of joint venture that did not go forward.
- Advised client on revising employee materials (e.g., employment agreement, employee handbook, etc.) to improve client’s ability to enforce trade secret rights.
- Convinced Court of Appeal to issue writ ordering trial court show why its order permitting service of process on client without Hague Convention compliance should not be vacated. Thereafter, dispute, which concerned perpetual license of certain television programs, settled.
- Obtained from Court of Appeal reversal of summary judgment order declaring trademark of client, distributor of products in the fashion/beauty industry, was generic. Settled case favorably for client thereafter.
- Convinced Court of Appeal to affirm judgment awarding real estate investor client over half million dollars in interest based on adversary’s wrongful refusal to return multi-million dollar escrow deposit after adversary terminated transaction.
- After receiving opening brief on petition of review of denial of asylum, government agreed to reopen asylum proceedings.
- Submitted amicus curiae briefs on behalf of public interest organizations in proceedings in California Supreme Court and U.S. Supreme Court arising from California Proposition 8 (defining marriage as between a man and a woman).
- NDA Tips, Traps and Pitfalls: Best Practices Avoid Common ErrorsThe Recorder, April 11, 2018
- Federal DTSA Versus California UTSAPotential Pros and ConsCalifornia Business Law Practitioner, Vol.32, No. 2, Spring 2017
- Co-Editor and Contributing Author of Treatise, "Trade Secret Litigation and Protection in California," Intellectual Property Section of the State Bar of California, November 2014
- "People Will Talk: Protecting Trade Secrets in the World of Social Media," Corporate Counsel, November 18, 2010
- "Best Kept Secrets: Handling Confidential Employee Information," Los Angeles Daily Journal, July 30, 2009
Intellectual Property Law Blog Posts
- The Defend Trade Secrets Act Supplement to Trade Secret Litigation and Protection in CaliforniaIntellectual Property Section of the State Bar of California2017
- Intellectual Property Section of the State Bar of CaliforniaNovember 2014
- The Recorder, March 1, 2017
- Law360, June 2, 2016
- “Hot Topics in Trade Secret Litigation: the DTSA, Remedies, Anti-SLAPP, and Constitutional Issues,” 43rd Annual IP Institute, California Lawyers Association, November 8, 2018
- “Hot Topics in Trade Secret Law,” State Bar of California, July 14, 2015
- "Trade Secrets of Trade Secrets," 38th Annual IP Institute of the State Bar of California, November 7, 2013
- "Litigating the Trade Secret Case," Bridgeport Continuing Education, May 17, 2013
- Panelist, "Obtaining Injunctive Relief in Trade Secret Cases," 37th Annual IP Institute of the State Bar of California, November 8, 2012
- “Why Every Lawyer Should Know More About Trade Secret Law," 36th Annual IP Institute of the State Bar of California, November 12, 2011
- Member, Board of Directors, Century City Chamber of Commerce, 2015-2016
- Member, Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel, 2005-2009 (served as Vice Chair of Intellectual Property Section and Member of Diversity Committee)
- Chair, Executive Committee, Intellectual Property Section of the State Bar of California, 2004-2005