- Second State Law Examination (bar exam), Hamburg
- Master Degree, Business Law, University of Montpellier
- First State Law Examination, Hamburg
- Brussels, Belgium (E List)
- Hamburg, Germany
Robert Klotz is a partner in the Antitrust & Competition Practice Group in the firm's Brussels office.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Klotz concentrates on all aspects of EU and German competition and regulatory law and represents clients before the European Commission and national authorities, with a particular focus on network industries, such as energy, telecommunications, post and transport.
Previously he served for almost a decade as an official with the European Commission in DG Competition, dealing with high level antitrust cases, first in the Telecommunications and Post Unit, and subsequently in the Energy and Water Unit.
- Legal 500 Europe, EU and Global Competition Law, 2017
- Competition/European Law, Chambers Global, 2017
- Leading Lawyer, GCR, Who's Who Legal: Competition, 2016 and 2017, Competition Law, JUVE, 2017 and 2018
- Several major railway companies in EU antitrust investigations before the European Commission.
- Major postal operator in antitrust investigation before the German Federal Cartel Office.
- Czech electricity company in EU antitrust investigation, proceedings before the General Court, on EU/German merger filings, and on State aid issues.
- German industry association on EU State aid investigation in the field of renewable energy.
- Several German energy companies in State aid notifications for new power plants.
- US chemicals company on EU competition law and merger control for several joint venture projects.
- Major EU gas importer on EU antitrust law issues in international arbitration against third country exporter.
- International organization on State aid law enforcement in the electricity sector in South-East Europe.
- German energy association on exemption from public procurement rules for electricity generation and wholesale and for gas and electricity distribution in Germany.
- German utility company in EU infringement procedure for public procurement in the public transport sector.
- German telecommunication companies in merger control proceedings before the European Commission and the General Court in the mobile telephony sector.
- German broadcast transmission operator on EU regulatory and State aid issues.
"Caution Ahead: High and Unpredictable Fines for Gun Jumping", Competition and Regulatory Law Review, July 2017
"Exemption from Public Procurement Rules for German Energy Markets", Recht der Energiewirtschaft, July 2017
"EU Law Developments in Network Industries 2016", Netzwirtschaften & Recht, January 2017
"EU Law Developments in Network Industries 2015", Netzwirtschaften & Recht, May 2016
"Review of Electricity Bidding Zones under EU Competition Law", European Networks Law and Regulation, October 2015
"EU Law Developments in Network Industries 2014", Netzwirtschaften & Recht, February 2015
"EU Law Developments in Network Industries 2013", Netzwirtschaften & Recht, February 2014
"Regulations and Antitrust in the Railway Sector: The Right Track Towards More Effective Competition?", European Networks Law and Regulation, November 2013
"EU Law Developments in Network Industries 2012", Netzwirtschaften & Recht, February 2013
"Concerted practices in the telecoms sector, Concurrences 1-2013", February 2013
"High Fines and Network Sales - Stricter Antitrust Enforcement in the Energy Sector", Energie, Markt, Wettbewerb, 3/2011, June 2011
"Broadband Rollout in the EU: How to Stimulate Investment and Competition", MLex Magazine, January 2011
"The Spider in the Web - the Role of the Commission as a Regulatory Legal Hub in Europe", Kontinuität und Wandel bei europäisierten Aufsichts- und Regulierungsstrukturen, (eds. Manger-Nestler/Gramlich), 2016
"Article 101 – Distribution Agreements"; "Article 106 – Public Intervention into Competition"; "Competition Law in Regulated Sectors", Kommentar zum Europäischen Wettbewerbsrecht, EU Competition Law Treatise (eds. Schröter/Jakob/Klotz/Mederer), 2nd edition 2014
"'EU Regulatory Framework for Electronic Communications" and "EU Competition Law Practice in the Telecommunication Sector"', TKG-Kommentar (ed. Säcker), 3rd edition 2013
'"The Liberalisation of the EU Telecommunications Markets" and "The Application of EU Competition Law in the Telecommunications Sector"', EU Competition and Telecommunications Law (eds.Koenig/Bartosch/Braun/Romes), 2nd edition 2009
"Competition Law Enforcement in Regulated Sectors (Telecommunications and Energy)", Competition Law: European Community Practice and Procedure (eds. Hirsch/Montag/Säcker), 2007
Antitrust Law Blog Posts
- "E-Commerce: The Commission Regulatory Initiative to Complement (or Substitute?) Competition Law Enforcement", CoRe Symposium, Brussels, May 15, 2017
- "The New Electricity Market Design, What’s in it for New Entrants?", Vienna Forum on European Energy Law, May 4-5, 2017
- "Current Trends in Regulating Postal Markets and Cross-Border Parcel Deliveries", 2nd German Postal law Conference, Bonn, October 7, 2016
- "EU Policy on Damages for Infringement of Competition Rules", B.I.T.A. Conference, Vilnius, February 4, 2016
- "The Spider in the Web - the Role of the Commission as a Regulatory Legal Hub in Europe", 2nd Conference on Continuity and Change in European Supervisory and Regulatory Structures, Leipzig, June 12, 2015
- "Mobile Mergers: is it all About Spectrum?", 26th Annual Communications and Competition Law Conference, London, May 11-12, 2015
- "News on EU Postal Law and Abuse Control", German Postal Law Conference, Bonn, March 4, 2015
- "EU Internal Energy Market: What Remaining Obstacles for Competition?", 7th International Energy Forum, St. Gallen, November 28, 2014
- "Cartels-Dawn Raids", QED 2014 EU Competition Law Summit, Brussels, September 11, 2014
- "The European Antitrust Law in Network Industries", 20th European Law Forum, Würzburg, June 27, 2014
- "2014 Trends in Competition Law: Challenges and Opportunities for Lithuanian Businesses", Vilnius, March 20, 2014
- "Enforcing Energy Law and Investor Protection", Panel Chairman, Forum on European Energy Law, Vienna, March 14, 2014
- "Market Liberalization and Regulation of European Network Industries", Panel Chairman, ENLR Conference, Brussels, November 14-15, 2013
- "How does the EU Promote Fossil Fuel Power Plant Projects?", European New Build Power, Köln, September 11, 2013
- "Minimizing Distortions in the European Energy Markets", Chairman of Energy Market Forum Task Force, Center for European Policy Studies, Brussels, 2013
- "Antitrust Enforcement in the Energy Sector Through Arbitration and Damage Claims", 8th EU Energy Law & Policy Conference, Brussels, February 6, 2013
- "Restructuring Gas Markets through Competition Law Enforcement", 6th International Energy Forum, St. Gallen, December 13-14, 2012
- "Over-enforcement of Competition Law in the EU?", The Transatlantic Marketplace: Challenges and Opportunities Beyond 2012, 6th Annual Transatlantic Business Conference, Frankfurt, November 14-15, 2012
- "EU Energy Policy: What is the Impact on the German Energy Markets?", Panel Chairman, 9. Deutscher Regulierungskongress, Berlin, September 26, 2012
- "Energy Roadmap 2050 and Cooperation with Switzerland", Energiewirtschaft Schweiz 2012, Zürich, June 27, 2012
- "Abuse of Dominance in the Energy Sector", 4th Claeys and Casteels Energy Law Masterclass, Brussels, June 13, 2012
- Does Competition Law Need an Update for Online Markets?Brussels, Belgium, November 30, 2017
- November 16, 2017
- September 21, 2017
- February 16, 2017
- January 19, 2017
- Managing Editor, CoRe (European Competition and Regulatory Law Review), since 2017
- Executive Managing Editor, ENLR (European Networks Law and Regulation Quarterly), 2013 to 2016
- Faculty Member, Master of Business, Competition and Regulatory Law, Freie Universität Berlin, 2011 to present
- Founding Member, Industry Advisory Board, International Energy Forum, St. Gallen, 2007 to 2015
- Faculty Member, Master of European Law, Europa-lnstitut, Universität Saarbrücken, 2005 to present
- Faculty Member, Master of European Studies (MES), ZEI, Universität Bonn, 2003 to present