Rebecca Mackin is an associate in the Intellectual Property Practice Group in the firm's Chicago office.
Areas of Practice
Rebecca focuses her practice on patent litigation, data privacy, cyber security, trademarks and intellectual property licensing in a variety of fields, including security screening systems, insurance, computer hardware and software, data storage, and pharmaceuticals.
Rebecca brings nearly 20 years of business and technology experience to the firm, in both the insurance and data privacy fields. As a result, Rebecca has a practical, results-oriented approach to her cases. Previously, Rebecca was the Senior Privacy Counsel at Aon, where she was responsible for advising and counseling businesses on a variety of privacy law issues, including, but not limited to, TCPA, GDPR, CCPA, HIPAA, CAN-SPAM, and helping them to devise compliant programs for their business needs. Since she has been at Sheppard Mullin, Rebecca has gained substantial experience managing large-scale, high-stakes patent litigations. She has in-court trial experience as well as experience preparing witnesses for trial and depositions, managing discovery and handling complex motion practice.
Eye on Privacy Blog Posts
- "Modifications Under CCPA To Receipt of Consumer Requests," October 3, 2019
- "CNIL Issues Record-Keeping Guidance," September 30, 2019
- "New York SHIELD Act Expands Breach Notice Requirements Starting in October," August 27, 2019
- "Processor or Controller? It Really Depends," August 19, 2019
- "Singapore Appoints Its First Ever Accountability Agent Under the CBPR System," August 7, 2019
- "FTC Seeks Comments on COPPA Rule," July 26, 2019
- "Nevada’s Amended Privacy Law: Groundbreaking or More of the Same?" June 20,2019
- "Like a Butterfly, Will the CCPA Continue to Evolve?" May 28, 2019