Ray Rutngamlug is a partner in the Corporate Practice Group in the firm's Washington, D.C. office.
Areas of Practice
Ray advises clients on transactional and regulatory matters in the communications space. He helps companies build communications networks, access infrastructure and rights of way, buy and sell communications services and equipment, and obtain regulatory approvals necessary to enter markets and conduct their businesses.
Ray has deep experience in particular handling commercial negotiations for companies in the communications industry, including managing large portfolios of simultaneous negotiations, leading multi-disciplinary negotiating teams, and developing negotiation strategies and term sheets. These include negotiations for:
- Master service agreements, service exhibits, statements of work and other agreements for wholesale and retail voice, video, content, and data services;
- Pole attachment, conduit, tower agreements, and other agreements for access to rights of way and communications infrastructure;
- Agreements for accessing buildings, data centers, colocation facilities;
- Agreements for the sale and maintenance of communications network equipment
Ray also regularly assists communications companies navigate regulatory issues related to their services and facilities, including:
- Ensuring that the rates, terms and conditions for accessing rights of way, poles, and conduits are in compliance with FCC and state orders and regulations via negotiations, preparation of permitting and application filings, participation in regulatory proceedings, and working with litigators to enforce regulatory rights;
- Obtaining certificates and licenses to provide communications services and construct networks;
- Assisting communications companies with mergers/acquisitions by obtaining regulatory approvals for such transactions and performing regulatory diligence.
Prior to joining Sheppard Mullin, Ray served as corporate counsel for a tier-one internet service provider and competitive local exchange carrier, where he provided legal counsel for the company's enterprise, wholesale and content delivery divisions.
Legal 500, Media, Technology and Telecoms, 2017-2020
- Law360, 08.18.2014
FCC Law Blog Posts
- "FCC Assessing State of Competitive Broadband Access to Multitenant Buildings," September 23, 2019
- "FCC Seeks “Large Step” Toward Advancing Broadband Infrastructure Goals With Draft One-Touch Make-Ready Order," July 16, 2017
- "ExteNet v City of Houston: Who pays for access to Texas rights-of-way?," March 27, 2017
- "Headin’ Down the Copperhead Road – the FCC Proposes New Rules for Legacy Infrastructure," January 5, 2015
- "Of Buckeyes and Batons Rouges: Ohio and Louisiana Adopt Comprehensive Pole Access and Attachment Rules," August 11, 2014
- How to Position Yourself for That Dream Job, Washington DC, 10.22.2015