- J.D., Columbia University, 1970, cum laude
- B.A., College of Wooster, 1967, with honors
- District of Columbia
- New York (retired)
- U.S. Supreme Court and various federal courts
D. Ronald Ryland is Of Counsel to the Firm having retired as a partner and as the firm's General Counsel. He remains a member of the Office of General Counsel. He is a member of the bars of Illinois (inactive), California, New York (retired) & the District of Columbia.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Ryland has been a business litigator and bankruptcy lawyer for over forty years, with a substantial focus on the representation of financial institutions and other creditors. He specializes in the defense of class actions and other litigation and the representation of creditors in workouts and bankruptcies. He has tried cases before the federal district, state and bankruptcy courts throughout California and regularly represents clients in arbitrations and other dispute resolution proceedings.
- Mr. Ryland lectures on professional responsibility, litigation and commercial lending
- Founding Chair, General Counsel Committee, U.S. Law Firm Group
- Member, Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Member, Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers
- Member, Bar Association of San Francisco
- Arbitrator, San Francisco Superior Court, 40 years
- Past President of the board, Homeward Bound of Marin, a provider of services to homeless persons, at the time it built the nation's first new homeless facility on a decommissioned military base