Sarah Aberg is special counsel in the White Collar Defense and Corporate Investigations Group in the firm's New York office.
Areas of Practice
Sarah's practice encompasses litigation, internal investigations and white collar defense, with a focus on financial services and securities. She has conducted multiple criminal trials and numerous internal investigations into a wide variety of allegations, including mail and wire fraud, mortgage fraud, insider trading, market manipulation, money laundering, terrorist financing, cybercrimes, and data privacy violations. Sarah’s regulatory practice encompasses market regulation, foreign registration and disclosure requirements, supervisory procedures, and sales practices. Sarah represents corporations, financial services companies, and associated individuals in connection with investigations and regulatory matters before the U.S. Department of Justice, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, FINRA, the New York Stock Exchange, the New York State Department of Financial Services, and the New York Attorney General’s Office.
- Global bank in connection with ongoing FINRA, SEC, and state securities investigations.
- Foreign bank organization responding to New York Department of Financial Services in connection with BSA/AML, OFAC, and cybersecurity compliance.
- Broker-dealer responding to FINRA in connection with Market Access rule compliance.
- Mid-cap companies investigating insider trading allegations in connection with public offerings.
- Senior mortgage finance professionals in RMBS-related investigations and litigations led by DOJ, SEC and FINRA.
- Financial advisors in connection with FOREX investigation.
- Criminal jury trial defending steel contractor charged with contracting fraud by U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York.
- Criminal jury trial defending federal savings bank charged with mortgage and securities fraud by the Manhattan District Attorney.
- International retailer in civil asset forfeiture brought by United States Attorney’s Office for the District of New Jersey.
Ones to Watch - White Collar Criminal Defense, Best Lawyers, 2021
New York Rising Stars, Super Lawyers, White Collar Criminal Defense, 2017-2020
- New York Law Journal, 03.15.2021
- Insights, 10.2018
- The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, 07.2014
- Law360, 10.25.2013
- LexisNexis, 04.02.2012
Blockchain and Cryptocurrency Law Blog Posts
Corporate & Securities Law Blog Posts
- "FinCEN Provides Clarity for Section 314(b) Information Sharing," December 22, 2020
- "OCIE Director Instructs Advisers to Empower Chief Compliance Officers," November 24, 2020
"Despite Challenges, It’s Full Steam Ahead For SEC’s Enforcement Division," September 29, 2020
"CFTC Throws its Hat into the Corporate Compliance Arena," September 15, 2020
"Supreme Court Preserves But Limits SEC Disgorgement Power," June 29, 2020
"DOJ Updates Corporate Compliance Guidance," June 9, 2020
"FinCEN Issues Notice on SARs Filing Figures," June 8, 2020
"Second Circuit Holds that Registering to do Business in New York Under Section 1301 of the Business Corporation Law Does Not Constitute Consent to General Personal Jurisdiction in New York Courts," April 3, 2020
- "New Bill Seeks to Bring Clarity to Insider Trading Law," August 6, 2019
- "New York Court of Appeals Rules that Civil Securities Fraud Claims Brought Under Martin Act are Subject to Three-Year Statute of Limitations," July 13, 2018
- "Eleventh Circuit Holds That a Corporation Is Not Distinct From Its Agents For Purposes of a RICO Enterprise, Following Sister Circuits," September 16, 2016
- "Second Circuit Limits “Tippee” Insider Trading Liability," December 11, 2014
- "Second Circuit Effectively Reverses Rejection of SEC's Settlement with Citigroup," March 30, 2012
- "Fifth Circuit Rejects Section 10(b) Scheme Liability in Absence of Explicit Attribution of Conduct or Statements to Defendant," November 17, 2010
- "Second Circuit Rejects Application Of "Bespeaks Caution" Doctrine To Statement Containing Both Historical And Forward-Looking Elements," September 28, 2010
- "Third Circuit Holds That Mixed Present/Future Statements Are Protected By Reform Act Safe Harbor," August 27, 2010
- "Second Circuit Affirms Dismissal Of Securities Fraud Complaint, But Rejects Reform Act Safe Harbor Defense," June 8, 2010
- "In Omnicom Second Circuit Provides Guidance On What Type Of Information Will Justify Investor Reliance For Securities Fraud," April 6, 2010
Eye on Privacy Blog Posts
- "SEC Issues Alert On Outsourcing and Data Security," June 11, 2019
- "SEC To Focus on Cybersecurity in 2019," March 27, 2019
- "You Might Be an Inside Trader If: Insider Trading and Data Breaches Part II," June 21, 2018
- "You Might Be an Inside Trader If…: Insider Trading and Breaches Part I," June 20, 2018
Government Contracts, Investigations & International Trade Blog Posts
"DOJ Cracks Down on COVID-Relief Fraud," July 29, 2020
- "The White House Considers Sweeping Ban on Nonimmigrant Worker Visas," June 17, 2020
- "COVID-19 Judicial Task Force Proposes Protocols to Reinstate Jury Trials," June 17, 2020
- "DOJ Updates Corporate Compliance Guidance," June 10, 2020
- "SEC Offers Limited Rule Relief to Spur Small Business Crowdfunding During Pandemic," May 14, 2020
- "Fed’s Vice Chair for Supervision Proposes a Deregulatory Approach to Limit the Scope of “Matters Requiring Attention” used in Bank Examinations," March 31, 2020
- "The SEC’s COVID-19 Response," March 20, 2020
- "Regulatory Moves Show Financial Watchdogs Working Smarter, if Not Harder," October 30, 2019
- "Spoofing Enforcement Intensifies," October 30, 2019
- "New York’s Department of Financial Services: the Self-Styled “Regulator of the Future,”" September 27, 2019
- "Feds Focus on Individuals in Evaluating Corporate Compliance Programs," May 29, 2019
- "New York DFS Consumer Protection and Financial Enforcement Division: New Name, New Look, Old Mandate," May 29, 2019
- "'Nanny' Government Rebuffed in Prosecution of Former Barclays Trader," March 29, 2019
- "Where is the Love? Exchanges Sue SEC Over Market Access Fee Pilot Program," February 27, 2019
- "Fool Me Twice…SEC’s latest Cyber-Fraud ROI Indicates Future Enforcement Against Hacker Victims," November 28, 2018
- "Hello, Newman. A Second Circuit Panel Revives U.S. v. Newman’s Personal Benefit Test, Maybe." July 31, 2018
- "New York Court of Appeals Rules that Civil Securities Fraud Claims Brought Under Martin Act Are Subject to Three-Year Statute of Limitations," July 19, 2018
- "You Might Be an Inside Trader If…You Trade on Your Unconfirmed Suspicions of a Cybersecurity Event Prior to Its Public Revelation or Disclosure," June 26, 2018
- "Regulation Best Interest: The SEC’s Responds to the DOL’s Fiduciary Rule," June 26, 2018
- "South Korea Steps Up Oversight of Cryptocurrency Exchanges," March 30, 2018
- "New Legislation Introduced in 2017 Signals the Beginning of a Strong Push for AML Reform," February 28, 2018
- "Watching the Detectives: The SEC Launches a Dedicated FINRA Oversight Unit," October 26, 2016
- "REGULATORS, QUANT UP! New Rules from FINRA, SEC and CFTC Target Automated Algorithmic Trading," February 26, 2016
New York Commercial Division Round Up Blog Posts
- "New Commercial Division Rule Seeks to Streamline Privilege Log Requirements for Litigants," October 7, 2014
- "It Ain't Over 'Till the Fat Lady Sings - Party's Contractual Obligations Continue In Agreement To Negotiate," January 28, 2013
- "You May Want to Keep That Opinion To Yourself - Commercial Division Considers Whether a Legal Opinion Letter Triggers Personal Jurisdiction Under the CPLR," October 16, 2012
- "Commercial Division Clarifies Limits of Choice of Law Provision in Indentures," February 13, 2012
- "Partnership Pitfalls -- Things to Keep in Mind When Filing a Notice of Pendency Involving Partnership Assets," July 6, 2011
- "Trustee's Establishment of Litigation Reserve Deemed Reasonable Under The "Prudent Man" Standard," June 25, 2010
Organizational Integrity Group Blog Posts
- 2018 New York Metro Super Lawyers, 10.2018
- New York Times, 03.25.2018
- New York Law Journal, 03.06.2018
- New York Law Journal, 03.02.2018
- Feds Hit With FOIA Suit For Tribal Leadership Dispute DocsLaw360, 12.20.2017
- Associated Press, 08.02.2016
- West LegalEdcenter, 05.12.2021
- STANYTALKS & STANY WIF Webinar, 03.31.2021
J.D., Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, 2009, Cardozo Journal of International and Comparative Law
B.A., University of Chicago, 2003
- Intern to the Honorable Lois Bloom, U.S. Magistrate Judge for the Eastern District of New York
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York