- J.D., Pepperdine University, 2000, cum laude
- B.A., University of Arizona, 1995
- Illinois (Inactive)
Sid Fohrman is a partner in the firm’s acclaimed Entertainment and Digital Media Practice Group and Leader of the firm’s Music Industry Team, and Leader of the firm's Esports Industry Team.
Areas of Practice
Sid represents a diverse client base comprised of public and private companies, on and off-screen talent, artists, influencers, and entrepreneurs across the full spectrum of the entertainment industry, including, music, esports, fitness, sports, technology, event, film and television industries. He often acts as outside general counsel to music and entertainment companies, and regularly handles multi-faceted corporate and entertainment transactions. Sid advises on new media business models and joint ventures, and handles content and licensing deals related to technology and new media exploitation; endorsement and sponsorship deals; publishing, licensing and other copyright and trademark transactions; and production, labor, trade and venue matters in connection with live events.
A nationally-recognized top music lawyer, Sid’s practice is anchored by his significant experience representing both talent and institutional clients in all aspects of the music industry. He has represented some of the world’s largest media companies and most prominent artists and producers on recording and music publishing agreements, content licensing, composer and producer agreements for film and television, and has represented live event promoters in connection with all aspects of music festivals and live concert events.
Sid brings to his transaction practice extensive prior experience as a commercial litigator in which capacity he represented public and private companies in complex contractual disputes, business torts, copyright and trademark infringement, antitrust, and finance. He has appeared before state and federal courts, at both the trial and appellate levels, and has considerable experience with alternative dispute resolution.
- Billboard’s Top Music Lawyers, 2019
- Recommended Lawyer - Media, Technology and Telecoms, Legal 500, 2019
- Legal Impact Report, Variety, 2019
- Best Lawyers for Entertainment Law – Motion Pictures and Television Rising Star, Association of Corporate Counsel
- Representation of the National Football League in connection with the production and presentation of the Super Bowl Halftime Show and on various music and new media-related transactions, including The Super Bowl’s Greatest Halftimes.
- Representation of various live event promoters/producers in connection with various festivals, experiential events, and live concerts, including, more than 20 annual live events and festivals, and artist joint ventures, such as Real Street (Honda Center), Ohana Festival (Eddie Vedder), KROQ Weenie Roast, Back to the Beach (Blink 182), Country Jam and Campout (Jason Aldean), Adult Swim Festival (Music, Comedy), LiveCity Vancouver, Super Bowl Saturday Night.
- Representation of the a premiere creator of live events and content, including, the Opening and Closing Ceremonies of the 2012 Olympic Games (London), the 2014 Olympic Games (Sochi), the 2015 European Games (Baku), Copa America Ceremonies, the Rose Parade, and numerous events for the Clinton Global Initiative;
- Representation of Intel and Greenlight Media in connection with partnership with Lady Gaga’s Grammy Performance tribute to the late David Bowie.
- Representation of Capitol Music Group and T Bone Burnett on The New Basement Tapes project in formation of rock band comprised of Marcus Mumford, Jim James, Elvis Costello, Taylor Goldsmith and Rhiannon Giddens, the recording and publishing deals involving Bob Dylan’s lyrics, and Feature Documentary, which initially aired on Showtime.
- Outside music and media counsel to Peloton Interactive, Inc. Advise on all aspects of Music and Media platform, including partnerships with every major record (Warner, Sony and Universal) and major music publishers (Warner-Chappell, SonyATV, and UMPG), and several artist collaborations, including, Guns N’ Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Meghan Trainor, and Elvis Presley Estate.
- Outside music counsel to Mastercard. Advise on numerous music and sponsorship matters, including the development and rollout of Mastercard’s new sonic branding, and partnerships with top artists worldwide;
- Represented Bob Dylan in connection with numerous concert tours and launch of whiskey brand, Heaven’s Door.
- Representation of multi- Grammy and Oscar winning producer, T Bone Burnett in connection with producer services on numerous albums (Elton John, Diana Krall, Steve Earle); composer and executive music producer services for film and television, including, Nashville and The Hunger Games.
- Negotiated deal between esports athlete and influencer, Matt Haag (Nadeshot), in connection with formation of 100 Thieves esports company in partnership with Dan Gilbert and the Cleveland Cavaliers.
- Represented investment and management group in acquisition of Abrams Artists Agency; currently act as outside general counsel to agency, handling all legal matters;
- Representation of various independent music companies in connection with all aspects of music industry business, including, artist recording and 360 deals, co-publishing and distribution deals;
- Negotiated services and global licensing deals between soul and pop artist Desi Valentine, and Fitbit, MillerCoors, and Jack Daniels.
- Representation of renowned songwriter and music publishing company in multi-million dollar sale of music catalog.
- Represented fitness expert and life coach, Jillian Michaels, in connection with several global endorsement and sponsorship deals, including, Crave Jerky and Giggles N’ Hugs.
- Representation of brand in a multi-year deal to become the name sponsor of Indianapolis 500, including brand placement, signage and broadcast rights, and related sponsorship benefits.
Podcasts & Webinars
Law of the Ledger: Blockchain Law Blog Posts
- "Blockchain. Bringing A Chorus of Cheers to the Music Industry," October 1, 2018
- Law360, February 20, 2019
- Deadline, October 30, 2018
- Business Wire, October 23, 2018
- Deadline, September 25, 2018
- March 5, 2018
- Digital Media WireSeptember 24, 2019
- June 25-27, 2019
- The Power of Creativity and InfluenceFebruary 4-5, 2019
- ANA/BAA Marketing Law ConferenceNovember 9, 2018
- Committee Member, Music & Entertainment Industry, City of Hope Member, The Recording Academy, GRAMMY Foundation