- J.D., Pepperdine University, 2000, cum laude
- B.A., University of Arizona, 1995
- Illinois (Inactive)
Sid Fohrman is a partner in the firm’s acclaimed Entertainment and Digital Media Practice Group and Leader of the firm’s Music Industry Team, and Leader of the firm's Esports Industry Team.
Areas of Practice
Sid provides strategic counsel and transactional support to a diverse client base comprised of public and private companies, on and off-screen talent, artists, influencers, and entrepreneurs across the full spectrum of the entertainment industry, including, music, esports, fitness, sports, technology, event, film and television industries. He often acts as outside general counsel to entertainment companies, and regularly handles multi-faceted corporate and entertainment transactions, advises on new media business models and joint ventures, and handles intellectual property matters, and content and licensing deals related to technology and new media exploitation; endorsement and sponsorship deals; publishing, licensing and other copyright and trademark transactions; and production, labor, trade and venue matters in connection with live events.
A nationally-recognized top music lawyer, Sid’s practice is anchored by his significant experience representing both talent and institutional clients in all aspects of the music industry. He has represented some of the world’s largest media companies and most prominent artists and producers on recording and music publishing agreements, content licensing, composer and producer services for film and television, and has represented worldwide and national sports organizations in connection with the production of live musical events and new music and media-related transactions.
Sid brings to his transaction practice extensive prior experience as a commercial litigator in which capacity he represented public and private companies in complex contractual disputes, business torts, copyright and trademark infringement, antitrust, and finance. He has appeared before state and federal courts, at both the trial and appellate levels, and has considerable experience with alternative dispute resolution.
- Recommended Lawyer - Media, Technology and Telecoms, Legal 500, 2019
- Billboard’s Top Music Lawyers, 2019
- Legal Impact Report, Variety, 2019
- Best Lawyers for Entertainment Law – Motion Pictures and Television
- Rising Star, Association of Corporate Counsel
- Representation of Peloton Interactive, Inc. in connection with all aspects of digital media platform including, content strategy, music licensing and distribution;
- Negotiated on behalf of Peloton Interactive, Inc., partnerships with every major music corporation (Warner, Sony and Universal) and major music publishers (Warner-Chappell, SonyATV, and UMPG), and several artist collaborations, including, Guns N’ Roses and Meghan Trainor.
- Representation of Synergy Global Entertainment in connection with SGE’s 20+ annual live events and festivals, and artist joint ventures, including, Super Mega Ultra Mad Decent Block Party (DIPLO, Billie Eilish), Real Street (A$AP Rocky, Cardi B, Future, Migos), Ohana Festival (Eddie Vedder), KROQ Weenie Roast (Lumineers), Back to the Beach (Blink 182), Country Jam and Campout (Jason Aldean), Adult Swim Festival (Music, Comedy).
- Representation of Robert Attermann, Adam Bold and Brian Cho in acquisition of Abrams Artists Agency, and current outside general counsel to agency;
- As outside music counsel to Mastercard, advised on all aspects of the development and rollout of Mastercard’s new sonic branding, including deals with top artists worldwide;
- Representation of multi- Grammy and Oscar winning producer, T Bone Burnett in connection with producer services on numerous albums (Elton John, Diana Krall, Steve Earle); composer and executive music producer services for film and television, including, Nashville and The Hunger Games.
- Negotiated deal between esports athlete and influencer, Matt Haag (Nadeshot), in connection with formation of 100 Thieves esports company in partnership with Dan Gilbert and the Cleveland Cavaliers.
- Representation of the National Football League in connection with the production of the Super Bowl Half-Time Show and on various music and new media-related transactions.
- Representation of executive producer of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies of the 2012 Olympic Games, and the 2011 Pan Am Games, handling all legal aspects related to the production of the Ceremonies.
- Representation of various independent music companies in connection with all aspects of music industry business, including, artist recording and 360 deals, co-publishing and distribution deals;
- Negotiated services and global licensing deals between soul and pop artist Desi Valentine, and Fitbit, MillerCoors, and Jack Daniels.
- Representation of renowned songwriter and music publishing company in multi-million dollar sale of music catalog.
Law of the Ledger: Blockchain Law Blog Posts
- "Blockchain. Bringing A Chorus of Cheers to the Music Industry," October 1, 2018
- Law360, February 20, 2019
- Deadline, October 30, 2018
- Business Wire, October 23, 2018
- Deadline, September 25, 2018
- March 5, 2018
- June 25-27, 2019
- The Power of Creativity and InfluenceFebruary 4-5, 2019
- ANA/BAA Marketing Law ConferenceNovember 9, 2018
- Committee Member, Music & Entertainment Industry, City of Hope
- Member, The Recording Academy, GRAMMY Foundation