- Labor and Employment
- Labor and Employment Counseling
- Labor and Employment Litigation
- Labor Union Management Relations
- J.D., University of California Los Angeles School of Law, 1998
- B.A., University of Toronto, Honors B.A., 1994
Samantha C. Grant is a partner in the Labor and Employment Practice Group in the firm's Century City office.
Areas of Practice
Ms. Grant represents employers in a wide variety of labor and employment matters, including wrongful termination, harassment, discrimination, retaliation, breach of contract, fraud, wage and hour, public policy violations, defamation, invasion of privacy, and trade secret/unfair competition. She represents employers in state and federal court and before state and federal administrative agencies (e.g. EEOC, DFEH, DLSE, and NLRB). Ms. Grant conducts workplace investigations and provides advice and counseling to employers regarding compliance with state and federal law (including FMLA, ADA, Title VII, FEHA, and NLRA), personnel policies and manuals, and difficult personnel decisions.
- Labor and Employment, The Legal 500, 2018
- "Most Influential Minority Lawyers," Los Angeles Business Journal, 2016
- "Diversity Leader Award," Profiles in Diversity Journal, 2016
- Thought Leader, Labour & Employment, Who’s Who Legal, 2018
- “Who’s Who Legal: Labour & Employment," Who’s Who Legal, 2013-2018
- "Most Powerful and Influential Women of California," California Diversity Council, 2012
- “Presidential Award,” National Bar Association, 2012
- "Attorney Spotlight" Profile, California Minority Counsel Program E-Newsletter, January/February 2011
- "Top Labor & Employment Lawyers in California," Daily Journal, 2011
- "Southern California Rising Stars," Super Lawyers, 2005-2010
- "California's Top Women Litigators," Daily Journal, 2007
- "10 Up and Coming African American Lawyers to Watch," Diversity & the Bar by the Minority Corporate Counsel Association, 2007
- "Rising Legal Star," LA Focus, 2007
- Black Law Students Association Alumni Achievement Award, UCLA School of Law, 2007
- "One to Watch" in the labor and employment field, Daily Journal, 2006
Seconded as in-house employment counsel for international food company (2003-2005).
Obtained non-suit on claims for discrimination, retaliation, interference with prospective economic advantage, and unfair business practices.
Obtained defense award for video service company in a four-day arbitration involving discrimination, sexual harassment, retaliation, and wrongful termination claims.
Obtained defense award for aerospace company in a week-long arbitration involving discrimination, harassment, and retaliation claims.
Obtained defense award for video service company in arbitration involving disability discrimination, failure to accommodate, failure to engage in the interactive process, and wrongful termination claims.
Obtained dismissal of breach of collective bargaining agreement claim for international beverage company.
Successfully represented major motion picture company in jurisdictional dispute before the NLRB.
After defeating class certification, successfully resolved wage and hour class action for global consumer goods company.
After successfully demurring, negotiated favorable resolution of wage and hour representative action on behalf of a major television network.
Obtained summary judgment for employers in wrongful termination, discrimination, and harassment cases.
Obtained dismissals on behalf of employers of unfair labor practices charges before the National Labor Relations Board.
- #METOO One Year Later: Lessons Learned and Best Practices, MCCA 2018 Creating Pathways to Diversity Conference, 2018
- Equal Pay: Update on Gender Pay Legislation and Active Litigation Around the Globe: What's Next?, ABA Section of Labor & Employment Law, International Labor and Employment Law Committee Midyear Meeting, 2018
- Will the Glass Ceiling Ever Break? Emerging Trends in Pay Equity, Pacific Coast Labor & Employment Law Conference, 2018
- The Ethics of Bias and Looking Beyond Our Own Images: The Lawyer’s Magical Looking Glass, American Bar Association Ethics and Professional Responsibility Committee’s Midwinter Meeting, 2018
- Meet the EEOC Commissioners and General Counsel: An Insider’s Perspective, 11th Annual ABA Section of Labor and Employment Law Conference, 2017
- Women & Power: Getting Ambitious for Ambition, Minority Corporate Counsel Association, 2017
- Strengthening Diversity & Inclusion in the Sections, ABA Section Officers Conference, 2017
- Pay Equity in Practice: What Works? 10th Annual ABA Section of Labor and Employment Law Conference, 2016
- Discrimination Update: Current Trends Affecting the Workplace, Black Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles, Inc. Meeting, 2016
- Obtaining Information in Arbitration, 9th Annual ABA Section of Labor and Employment Law Conference, 2015
- Objection as to Form—Obstructionist Conduct or an Exercise in Restraint?, ABA, Ethics & Professional Responsibility Committee Mid-Winter Meeting, 2015
- The Future of Employment Law and Employment Law Lawyers, Italian Employment Lawyers Association Annual Conference, 2015
- Best Practices for Diversity in the Sections, Divisions, and Forums, ABA Section Officers Conference, 2014
- Hot Topics in Employment Law: Issues Pertinent to the Entertainment Attorney, Black Entertainment and Sports Lawyers Association, 2014
- Implicit Bias, Take II, ABA, Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee Mid-Winter Meeting, 2014
- Hello, Is This Thing On? Perfecting Public Speaking Skills, ABA, Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee Mid-Winter Meeting, 2012
- From Cradle to Grave: Drafting and Communicating Employment Agreements, ABA, Section of Labor and Employment Law Annual Conference, 2011
- The Effectiveness of Corporate ADR Programs, ABA Annual Meeting, 2010
- Competing for and Winning Work from Corporate Counsel, ABA, Section of Labor and Employment Law Annual Conference, 2010
- Sexual Harassment Arbitration in the Union vs. Non-Union Worlds, ABA, Employment and Rights Responsibilities Committee Mid-Winter Meeting, 2009
- Grabbing a Jury and Keeping ‘Em, ABA, Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee Mid-Winter Meeting, 2008
- Managing the Contingent Workforce, National Employment Law Council Annual Conference2008
- Maternal Wall Bias and Family Responsibilities Discrimination, ABA Annual Meeting, 2008
- Mentors: Who Needs Them and Why? ABA, Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee Mid-Winter Meeting, 2008
- Choices, Choices: Your Place or Mine? Drafting and Litigating Choice of Law and Forum Selection Clauses in Non-Compete Agreements, ABA, Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee Mid-Winter Meeting, 2007
- The Nuts and Bolts of Harassment Cases: How to Prevent, Identify, and Litigate Harassment Cases, Black Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles Annual Meeting, 2007
- Are Law Firms and Corporations Committed to Diversity in the Legal Profession? ABA, Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee Mid-Winter Meeting, 2007
- Workplace Investigations: The Witness Interviews and Evaluation of the Evidence, ABA, Section of Labor and Employment Law Annual Conference, 2007
- True Believers in the Workplace: A Primer on Religious Discrimination, Accommodations, and Undue Hardship, State Bar of California Annual Meeting, 2007
- It's a Status Thing: The Ground War at FedEx. Independent Contractor or Employee? ABA, Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee Mid-Winter Meeting, 2007
- Employment Law Legal Update, Southern California Employment Round Table Fall Conference , 2007
- Public Policy and Contractual Exceptions to the Employment At-Will Doctrine, ABA Annual Meeting, 2006
- Dealing with Difficult Adversaries, ABA, Labor & Employment Section, Litigation Skills Workshop, 2005
- An Exploration of Diversity Issues, College of Labor and Employment Lawyers of Southern Ninth Circuit Regional College Meeting, 2004
- We Didn't Hire You. You Don't Work Here and Where's That Memo You Owe Me? Who is an Employee? ABA, Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee Mid-Winter Meeting, 2004
- Member, United States District Court Central District of California’s Merit Selection Panel
- Member, N-Gen Advisory Board, Minority Corporate Counsel Association
- Commissioner, Commission on Women in the Profession, American Bar Association
- Vice Chair, Section of Labor and Employment Law, American Bar Association
- Co-Chair, Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee, American Bar Association
- Board Member, Constitutional Rights Foundation
- Executive Committee, Litigation Section, Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Board Member, Black Entertainment and Sports Lawyers Association
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Member, American Employment Law Council
- Council Member, Council for Racial and Ethnic Diversity in the Educational Pipeline, American Bar Association, 2014-2015
- Nominations Committee, National Bar Association, 2012-2014
- Board of Governors, National Bar Association, 2012-2013
- President, Black Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles, Inc., 2011-2012
- Attorney Admission Fund Board, U.S. District Court, Central District of California, 2009-2012
- Executive Committee, Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference, 2010-2012
- Co-Chair, Central District Delegation of Lawyer Representatives to the Ninth Circuit, 2008-2009
- Lawyer Representative, Central District Delegation of Lawyer Representatives to the Ninth Circuit, 2006-2009