- Enumale Agada
- Rena Andoh
- Vinay Bhupathy
- Farha Chowdry
- MaryJeanette Dee
- Valérie Demont
- Thomas Devaney
- Jeffrey Forrest
- Robert Friedman
- Keith Gercken
- Bradley Graveline
- James Hays
- Seth (Byoung Soo) Kim
- J. Scott Maberry
- Fatema Merchant
- Amar Naik
- Alex Nie
- Neil Popović
- Angela Reid
- Lucantonio Salvi
- Namal Tantula
- Edward Tillinghast, III
- Louis Victorino
- Bijal Vira
Sheppard Mullin represents both global companies doing business in and with South Asia and South Asian companies doing business worldwide. We have more than 30 attorneys with significant experience advising on legal issues centered in South Asia, including in M&A, capital markets (including the capability to take Indian companies public in the U.S.), intellectual property, IT litigation, labor and employment, anti-corruption and trade regulation, and general commercial litigation matters. In recognition for the work we do in India as a foreign law firm, we were recognized in 2016, 2017, and 2018 by the India Business Law Journal as a “Significant Player,” as well as considered a “Firm to Watch” in 2015.
Our South Asia team is comprised of attorneys with decades of international commercial experience; many have lived and worked abroad and are multilingual. Our attorneys have significant personal and professional networks in South Asia and have relationships with leading business houses, prominent figures in local business, and professional circles. Our team members know the region, frequently speaking on cutting-edge topics, such as the evolving importance of ADR (Alternative Dispute Resolution) as an alternative to the region’s severely over-crowded court systems, the ever-increasing intricacies of cross-border transactions, and the competitive world of software and IT development and outsourcing. We recognize the complexities of globalization and we pride ourselves on providing comprehensible cross-border advice bridging legal systems, customs, languages, and terminology. We understand the operational needs of established global businesses, as well as the needs of companies taking their initial step outside their home country, which allows us to advise our clients on sophisticated global transactions and market access strategies.
In partnership with leading South Asian counsel, we have represented global businesses in important, bet-the-company litigation matters, as well as complex cross-border acquisitions and financing transactions involving the region, and are recognized for the unique solutions we design and implement to provide seamless services to our international clients who are interested in doing business in these areas.
The types of international work performed by our South Asia practice are varied and include general counseling, mergers and acquisitions, financings, reorganizations, private equity, fund formation, joint ventures and infrastructure projects, intellectual property licensing, supply chain agreements, compliance advice, and most other forms of business transactions.
- ExlService Holdings
- L&T Technology Services
- Mahindra Comviva
- Oracle Financial Services Software
- TATA Business Support Services
- TATA Communications (America)
- TATA Consultancy Services
- TATA Global Beverages
- TATA Technologies
- Tech Mahindra
- WNS North America
- Birlasoft – Represented Birlasoft, an Indian IT services company, with its acquisition of EnablePath, a U.S. cloud-based consulting business.*
- ExlService Holdings – Represented ExlService Holdings, a leading, NASDAQ publicly-traded operations management and analytics company based in India, in its agreement to acquire SCIOInspire Holdings, Inc. for$240 million.
- ExlService Holdings – Represented ExlService Holdings with several acquisitions of IT services providers in the U.S.*
- L&T Technology Services Limited – Provide L&T Technology Services with advice on a nationwide basis regarding employment law issues, including compliance with U.S., state and local laws, and employment litigation, as well as trade regulation issues.
- Comviva Technologies Ltd. – Represented Mahindra Comviva in several patent infringement litigation matters.
- Majesco – Represented Majesco, an NYSE publicly-traded, India-based provider of core insurance software, consulting services, and other insurance technology solutions, as U.S. legal counsel in connection with a qualified institutional placement (QIP) of its securities in India.
- Majesco – Represented Majesco with several U.S. acquisitions, including in connection with its merger with Cover-All Technologies, an NYSE publicly-traded, IT services company for the insurance industry.*
- Moser Baer Solar Limited – Represented Moser Baer Solar, a subsidiary of Moser Baer India Limited, one of the largest optical media producers in the world, in connection with a global renewable energy project.
- Recon Oil Industries Ltd. – Represent Recon in various patent prosecution matters.
- Tata Companies – Represent Tata subsidiaries (Tata Business Support Services, Tata Consultancy Services, Tata Technologies) in various IP, litigation, employment, and international trade regulation matters.
- Tech Mahindra – Represent Tech Mahindra in trade secret, licensing, and patent litigation matters. Won summary judgment in large patent case in the Eastern District of Texas.
- WNS North America, Inc. – Represent WNS in several ICDR commercial arbitrations. Won complete dismissal of multi-million ICDR arbitration.
- Sheppard Mullin Recognized by India Business Law Journal for Fourth Consecutive Year for India-Related WorkIndia Business Law Journal, July 29, 2019
- Valérie Demont Named Recognized Among Top 100 India-focused Global Lawyers by India Business Law JournalIndia Business Law Journal, April 2019
- India Business Law Journal, July 29, 2018
Podcasts & Webinars
- US-India Business Council Legal Services Newsletter, Spring 2017
- Corporate Counsel, May 2016
- The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, November 2014
- The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, November 2013