- Rena Andoh
- Vinay Bhupathy
- Farha Chowdry
- MaryJeanette Dee
- Valérie Demont
- Thomas Devaney
- Jeffrey Forrest
- Robert Friedman
- Keith Gercken
- Bradley Graveline
- James Hays
- Seth (Byoung Soo) Kim
- J. Scott Maberry
- Fatema Merchant
- Amar Naik
- Alex Nie
- Neil Popović
- Lucantonio Salvi
- Edward Tillinghast, III
- Louis Victorino
- Bijal Vira
Sheppard Mullin represents both global companies doing business in and with South Asia (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka) and South Asian companies doing business worldwide. We have more than 30 attorneys with significant experience advising on legal issues centered in South Asia, including in M&A, capital markets (including the capability to take Indian companies public in the U.S.), intellectual property, IT litigation, labor and employment, anti-corruption and trade regulation, and general commercial litigation matters.
Our South Asia team is comprised of attorneys with decades of international commercial experience; many have lived and worked abroad and are multilingual. Our attorneys have significant personal and professional networks in South Asia and have relationships with leading business houses, prominent figures in local business, and professional circles. Our team members know the region, frequently speaking on cutting-edge topics, such as the evolving importance of ADR (Alternative Dispute Resolution) as an alternative to the region’s severely over-crowded court systems, the ever-increasing intricacies of cross-border transactions, navigating South Asia’s ascendancy in the global pharmaceutical and vaccine landscape, and the competitive world of software and IT development and outsourcing. We recognize the complexities of globalization and we pride ourselves on providing comprehensible cross-border advice bridging legal systems, customs, languages, and terminology. We understand the operational needs of established global businesses, as well as the needs of companies taking their initial step outside their home country, which allows us to advise our clients on sophisticated global transactions and market access strategies.
In partnership with leading South Asian counsel, we have represented global businesses in important, bet-the-company matters, as well as complex cross-border acquisitions and financing transactions involving the region, and are recognized for the unique solutions we design and implement to provide seamless services to our international clients who are interested in doing business in these areas.
The types of international work performed by our South Asia practice are varied and include general counseling, mergers and acquisitions, financings, reorganizations, private equity, fund formation, joint ventures and infrastructure projects, intellectual property licensing, supply chain agreements, compliance advice, and most other forms of business transactions. We cover a wide range of practice areas and industries, including:
- Aerospace & Defense
- Capital Markets, including U.S. initial public offerings (IPOs), ADR offerings, NYSE and NASDAQ listings, and private placements
- Debt Finance
- Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS)
- Construction and Engineering
- Economic Sanctions
- Energy, Infrastructure, and Cleantech
- Export Controls
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act/UK Bribery Act of 2010
- Insurance and Reinsurance
- Intellectual Property
- International Arbitration and Alternative Dispute Resolution
- International Restructuring and Insolvency
- International Tax
- Licensing, Collaborations, Joint Ventures, and Strategic Alliances
- Life Sciences
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Medical Devices
- Private Equity and Venture Capital
- Public International Law
- Technology Litigation
- U.S. Government Contracting
We are a Corporate Member of the USIBC (U.S.-India Business Council), Charter Member of TiE (The Indus Entrepreneurs) and OPEN (Organization of Pakistani Entrepreneurs), and have been active in the APAA (Asian Patent Attorneys Association) and IBA (International Bar Association).
We were recognized in 2016 and 2017 by India Business Law Journal as a "Significant Player" among foreign law firms who do work in India, as well as considered a "Firm to Watch" in 2015.
- Applied Solar Technologies (India) Pvt. Ltd
- Apollo Tyres Ltd.
- DMI Finance Private Limited
- Globe (India) Ltd.
- Haycarb PLC
- HCL Technologies Limited
- Hum TV
- KeyPoint Technologies Limited
- Kyori Oremin Ltd.
- Mahindra Comviva
- Marriott International, Inc.
- MKU Pvt. Limited
- Moser Baer India Limited
- Mount Everest Mineral Water Limited
- Naseeb Networks Inc.
- Oracle Financial Services Software
- Perfect Wellness Pvt. Ltd.
- Pratt & Whitney
- Recon Oil Industries Ltd.
- Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation
- STV Group, Inc.
- Sunjewels Pvt. Ltd.
- TATA Business Support Services Limited
- TATA Communications (America) Inc.
- TATA Consultancy Services Limited
- TATA Global Beverages Limited
- TATA Technologies Limited
- Tech Mahindra Limited
- UTC Aerospace Systems
- Venco-Imtiaz Construction Company
- Wipro Ltd.
- WNS North America, Inc.
- ZEE Entertainment Enterprises Ltd.
Ashburton India Credit Fund
- Handled fund formation matters for inbound to India investments.
HCL Technologies Limited
- Represent HCL, a leading global technology and IT enterprise, in connection with patent and copyright matters.
- Represent Hum TV, Pakistan's premier TV channel, in licensing and technology transactions.
- Represented Knowledge Matrix, the company which evolved from a task-specific unit within the India-based conglomerate Kapil Group, and which provides solution-oriented IT services to businesses, in a variety of matters including corporate finance, outsourcing, technology transactions, and litigation matters.
- Representing Mahinda Comviva in several patent infringement litigation matters.
Marriott International, Inc.
- Assisted Marriott’s construction and development team in the roll out of Fairfield Inn in India.
Moser Baer Solar Limited
- Represented Moser Baer Solar, a subsidiary of Moser Baer India Limited, one of the largest optical media producers in the world, in connection with a global renewable energy project.
Naseeb Networks Inc.
- Represented Naseeb Networks in its Series B venture capital financing from ePlanet Ventures and Draper Fisher Jurvestson Ventures – the first ever transaction in which Silicon Valley venture capitalists invested in a company addressing the domestic Pakistani market.
Recon Oil Industries Ltd.
- Represent Recon in various patent prosecution matters.
Sunjewels Pvt. Ltd.
- Represent Sunjewels in various patent prosecution matters.
- Represent Tata subsidiaries (Tata Business Support Services, Tata Consultancy Services, Tata Technologies) in various IP, litigation, employment, and international trade regulation matters.
- Represent Tech Mahindra in licensing and patent litigation. Won summary judgment inlarge patent case in the Eastern District of Texas.
Trio Engineered Products, Inc.
- Represented Trio Engineered Products in its recapitalization by Navis Capital Partners, one of Southeast Asia's biggest private equity players.
- Sheppard Mullin Recognized by India Business Law Journal as a “Significant Player" for India-Related WorkIndia Business Law Journal, June 2017
- Sheppard Mullin Recognized by India Business Law Journal as a “Significant Player” Among Foreign Law Firms Who Do Work in IndiaIndia Business Law Journal, June 2016
- US-India Business Council Legal Services Newsletter, Spring 2017
- Corporate Counsel, May 2016
- The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, November 2014
- The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, November 2013