- February 15, 2017
- Rena Andoh
- Vinay Bhupathy
- Robert Brighton, Jr.
- Farha Chowdry
- MaryJeanette Dee
- Valérie Demont
- John-Paul Deol
- Thomas Devaney
- Jeffrey Forrest
- Robert Friedman
- Paul Garrity
- Keith Gercken
- Bradley Graveline
- James Hays
- Kevin Houng
- Seth (Byoung Soo) Kim
- J. Scott Maberry
- Fatema Merchant
- Amar Naik
- Alex Nie
- Neil Popović
- Kevin Rogan
- Lucantonio Salvi
- Edward Tillinghast, III
- Louis Victorino
- Bijal Vira
Sheppard Mullin represents global companies doing business in and with South Asia (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka) and, reciprocally, South Asian companies doing business worldwide. Our work in South Asia is a key component of the Firm’s international practice.
Our South Asia team members are known in the region, frequently speaking on cutting-edge topics, such as the evolving importance of ADR (Alternative Dispute Resolution) as an alternative to the region’s severely over-crowded court systems, the ever-increasing intricacies of cross-border transactions, navigating South Asia’s ascendancy in the global pharmaceutical and vaccine landscape, and the competitive world of software and IT development and outsourcing. In partnership with leading South Asian counsel, we have represented global businesses in important, bet-the-company matters, as well as complex cross-border acquisitions and financing transactions involving the region, and are recognized for the unique solutions we design and implement.
We are a Corporate Member of the USIBC (U.S.-India Business Council), Charter Member of TiE (The Indus Entrepreneurs) and OPEN (Organization of Pakistani Entrepreneurs), and have been active in the APAA (Asian Patent Attorneys Association) and IBA (International Bar Association).
We were recognized in 2016 by India Business Law Journal as a “Significant Player” among foreign law firms who do work in India, as well as considered a “Firm to Watch” in 2015.
Our insights and relationships benefit South Asian businesses and help corporate clients gain access to South Asia’s immense business opportunities. Our background includes counseling clients in:
- Automotive manufacturing
- Chemical manufacturing
- Commercial real estate projects and development
- Defense manufacturing
- Energy infrastructure systems including renewable power and fuels, biofuels, refineries, oil and gas exploration, nuclear power and pipelines
- Pharmaceuticals and health care
- Steel manufacturing
- Telecommunications projects
- U.S. initial public offerings (IPOs), ADR offerings, NYSE and Nasdaq listings, and private placements
- Venture capital, private equity, hedge, real estate, infrastructure, and carbon credit funds
We have more than 30 attorneys with significant experience advising on legal issues centered in South Asia, including in M&A, capital markets (including the capability to take Indian companies public in the U.S.), intellectual property, technology litigation, commercial litigation, U.S. trade regulation/FCPA, and labor and employment matters. South Asian companies have a growing presence in the United States, and our nationwide practice enables us to play a key role in their success.
- Abon Pharmaceuticals, LLC
- Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Applied Solar Technologies (India) Pvt. Ltd
- Apollo Tyres Ltd.
- DMI Finance Private Limited
- Globe (India) Ltd.
- Haycarb PLC
- HCL Technologies Limited
- Hum TV
- KeyPoint Technologies Limited
- Kyori Oremin Ltd.
- Macleods Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Mahindra Comviva
- Marriott International, Inc.
- MKU Pvt. Limited
- Moser Baer India Limited
- Mount Everest Mineral Water Limited
- Naseeb Networks Inc.
- Oracle Financial Services Software
- Perfect Wellness Pvt. Ltd.
- Pratt & Whitney
- Recon Oil Industries Ltd.
- Shilpa Medicare Limited
- Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation
- STV Group, Inc.
- Sunjewels Pvt. Ltd.
- Symbiotec Pharma Lab Pvt. Ltd.
- TATA Business Support Services Limited
- TATA Communications (America) Inc.
- TATA Consultancy Services Limited
- TATA Global Beverages Limited
- TATA Technologies Limited
- Tech Mahindra Limited
- UTC Aerospace Systems
- Venco-Imtiaz Construction Company
- Wipro Ltd.
- WNS North America, Inc.
- ZEE Entertainment Enterprises Ltd.
Alembic Pharmaceuticals Limited
- Represent Alembic in Hatch-Waxman matters, including dispute involving Uloric® (febuxostat). Teijin Limited et al v. Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd, No. 1:13-cv-01939-SLR (D. Del. 2013, Robinson, J.).
Amira Nature Foods Ltd.*
- Represented Amira Nature Foods, a leading global supplier of packaged Indian specialty rice and other food products, in its $90 million initial public offering of ordinary shares with UBS and Deutsche Bank as joint book running managers.
Ashburton India Credit Fund
- Handled fund formation matters for inbound to India investments.
HCL Technologies Limited
- Represent HCL, a leading global technology and IT enterprise, in connection with patent and copyright matters.
- Represent Hum TV, Pakistan's premier TV channel, in licensing and technology transactions.
Incepta Pharmaceuticals Limited
- Representation of Incepta Pharma in ANDA litigation relating to extended release gabapentin tablets.
- Represented Knowledge Matrix, the company which evolved from a task-specific unit within the India-based conglomerate Kapil Group, and which provides solution-oriented IT services to businesses, in a variety of matters including corporate finance, outsourcing, technology transactions, and litigation matters.
Macleods Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Represent Macleods, a developer and manufacturer of pharmaceutical products for various therapeutic diseases in India, in ANDA litigation.
- Representing Mahinda Comviva in several patent infringement litigation matters.
Marriott International, Inc.
- Assisted Marriott’s construction and development team in the roll out of Fairfield Inn in India.
Moser Baer Solar Limited
- Represented Moser Baer Solar, a subsidiary of Moser Baer India Limited, one of the largest optical media producers in the world, in connection with a global renewable energy project.
Naseeb Networks Inc.
- Represented Naseeb Networks in its Series B venture capital financing from ePlanet Ventures and Draper Fisher Jurvestson Ventures – the first ever transaction in which Silicon Valley venture capitalists invested in a company addressing the domestic Pakistani market.
- Represented QBS Learning, an India-based provider of integrated media and content solutions for education, in its acquisition of U.S.-based Bill Smith Group, Inc., a leading U.S.-based educational content developer.
Recon Oil Industries Ltd.
- Represent Recon in various patent prosecution matters.
Sunjewels Pvt. Ltd.
- Represent Sunjewels in various patent prosecution matters.
- Represent Tata subsidiaries (Tata Business Support Services, Tata Consultancy Services, Tata Technologies) in various IP, litigation, employment, and international trade regulation matters.
- Represent Tech Mahindra in licensing and patent litigation. Won summary judgment inlarge patent case in the Eastern District of Texas.
Trio Engineered Products, Inc.
- Represented Trio Engineered Products in its recapitalization by Navis Capital Partners, one of Southeast Asia's biggest private equity players.
- Represented hedge fund, Wexford Capital, in its $26 million investment in the preferred stock of Indus Power, an India-based hydroelectric power company.
*Deal done by attorney while at a prior firm
- Sheppard Mullin Recognized by India Business Law Journal as a “Significant Player" for India-Related WorkIndia Business Law Journal, June 2017
- Sheppard Mullin Recognized by India Business Law Journal as a “Significant Player” Among Foreign Law Firms Who Do Work in IndiaIndia Business Law Journal, June 2016
- US-India Business Council Legal Services Newsletter, Spring 2017
- Corporate Counsel, May 2016
- The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, November 2014
- The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, November 2013