- J.D., Northwestern University School of Law, 2010, John Henry Wigmore Scholar
- B.A., Belmont University, 2003, magna cum laude
- U.S.D.C. Southern District of California
- U.S.D.C. Central District of California
- U.S.D.C. Eastern District of California
- U.S.D.C. Northern District of California
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
Ms. Pearce is a senior associate in the Business Trial Practice Group in the firm’s Del Mar office.
Areas of Practice
Ms. Pearce represents businesses in the areas of intellectual property and commercial litigation, from trademark and copyright matters to consumer class actions. She has represented Fortune 500 companies in complex actions involving allegations of copyright violation, breach of contract, fraud, privacy violation and unfair business practices. She has also defended retailers and financial institutions in class actions alleging violations of state and federal laws relating to false advertising, privacy regulations, unfair competition, pricing practices, and lending disclosures. Ms. Pearce’s litigation experience ranges from pre-suit strategy and advice to post-trial proceedings, with a special focus on appellate issues. She also has significant experience in private domestic and international arbitrations.
Ms. Pearce co-chairs the Bench-Bar Committee of Lawyers Club of San Diego, and is an active member of both the San Diego County Bar Association Appellate Section and the San Diego Appellate Inn of Court. She is a member of Sheppard Mullin’s own Pro Bono Committee and coordinates pro bono training and case placement in the Del Mar office. Ms. Pearce’s pro bono practice focuses on asylum and other immigration matters for victims of persecution, torture, and domestic violence.
- San Diego Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2018
- Best of the Bar 2015, San Diego Business Journal
- Best of the Bar 2016, San Diego Business Journal
- Represent retailers and brands in actions alleging textile pattern copyright infringement.
- Represent retailers and brands in class action lawsuits across the country alleging false advertising relating to pricing practices.
- Obtained highly favorable early individual settlement of putative class action alleging fraud and sale of counterfeit goods on behalf of national retailer.
- Represented public utility in a multi-billion dollar international arbitration arising from claims of defective design of steam generators installed in a nuclear power plant.
- Prevailed in private arbitration on behalf of transportation company in dispute against former owners for breach of fiduciary duty and breach of settlement and non-competition agreements.
- Defeated class certification and obtained settlement of claims arising from residential loan modification programs on behalf of large financial institution.
- Advised financial institutions on best practices related to foreclosure in states with rapidly changing statutory and judicial environment, as well as litigation strategies on matters of first impression, and contributed to state supreme court briefs related to foreclosure laws and practices.
- Data Protection Leader, May 2018
Eye on Privacy Blog Posts
- "US Breach Laws Are Coming: Vermont," December 21, 2018
- "US Breach Laws Are Coming: South Carolina," December 19, 2018
- "UK Regulator Issues Guidance About Encryption Under GDPR," December 13, 2018
- "US Breach Laws Are Coming: Iowa," December 12, 2018
- "FDA Issues New Draft Cybersecurity Guidance for Medical Devices," November 29, 2018
- "Supermarket Held Vicariously Liable in UK’s First Data Leak Class Action," November 13, 2018
- "France Imposes Fine for Unauthorized Use of Fingerprint Timeclocks," October 15, 2018
- "UK’s Data Protection Authority Enforces GDPR," October 10, 2018
- "Dramatic Increase in French Privacy Complaints Since GDPR," October 7, 2018
- "BIPA Claims Against United Airlines Must be Arbitrated Due to Collective Bargaining Agreement," September 5, 2018
- "EU and Japan Strike Tentative Data Transfer Deal," August 9, 2018
- "The California Privacy Law Is Coming: What Should Your Company Do Now?" July 25, 2018
- "FTC Provides Insight into COPPA Deletion Requirements," July 12, 2018
- "Biometric Breakdown Part IV – Protecting," April 27, 2018
- "Biometric Breakdown Part III – Sharing," April 26, 2018
- "Biometric Breakdown Part II – Collection," April 25, 2018
- "Biometric Breakdown – Part I," April 24, 2018
- "Oregon Updates Its Data Breach Notification Law," March 29, 2018
- "Federal Court Curbs FCC Robocall Restrictions," March 28, 2018
- "Connected Toys, COPPA, and What’s Next," February 22, 2018
- "France Joins Others, Enforces Against Connected Toys," November 19, 2017
- "BIPA Fingerprint Suits Continue," November 7, 2017
- "FACTA Suit Dismissed for Lack of Harm," October 10, 2017
- "Protect the Palace: Employee Monitoring and Workplace Privacy in the Cyber Era," San Diego Employer Advisory Council Annual Seminar, October 16, 2013
- December 11, 2018
- Lawyers Club of San Diego
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- San Diego Appellate Inn of Court
- San Diego County Bar Association