- L.L.M., Queen Mary University of London, 2001
- C.P.M.E., Université catholique de Louvain, 2000
- Université Catholique de Louvain-la-Neuve, 2000
Sylvie Rousseau is a partner in the firm's Brussels office.
Areas of Practice
Sylvie Rousseau has more than 15 years of data protection and privacy experience across the EU, including in compliance audits, data transfer strategies, data breach cases, e-discovery procedures, privacy policies, employees monitoring guidelines, whistleblowing hotlines, clinical trials, notifications to national regulators, binding corporate rules approval and GDPR compliance projects.
Sylvie maintains excellent relationships with local data protection agencies (DPAs) across Europe and the European Commission's Article 29 Data Protection Working Party. She is an active board member of the IAPP and a regular contributor to specialized journals and Privacy events.
Sylvie is highly regarded across Global and EU rankings, including Legal 500 (2016, EU Regulatory Privacy and Data Protection and EU Regulatory: Telecoms), Chambers Global (2012, Data Protection, Key Individual), LeadersLeague and Expert Guides. Her Data Protection, Telecommunications, IT and Internet practice is “recommended” by LeadersLeague and French “Decideurs Guide” directories. Sylvie is recognized as “first in class” and “very client-focused” (2016, Legal 500: Europe, Middle East & Africa).
- Legal 500 (2016, EU Regulatory Privacy and Data Protection and EU Regulatory: Telecoms)
- LeadersLeague (Recommended, 2016)
- Chambers Global (2012, Data Protection, Key Individual)
Sylvie represents multinational corporations and emerging companies on data protection and online compliance projects in various sectors including retail, TMT, pharma and financial services.
Her expertise also encompass drafting and negotiating major strategic technology, IT procurement and outsourcing contracts in a wide variety of sectors. She has advised on many local and multi-jurisdictional IT-related transactions, including large outsourcing, applications development and maintenance projects.
Ms. Rousseau speaks at numerous conferences on data protection and privacy matters and publishes regularly or is quoted on various specialised privacy journals such as Data Guidance or Privacy & Security Law Report.
Global Trade Law Blog Posts
- "2018 EU Trade, Regulatory and Competition Trends," February 8, 2018
- Sheppard Mullin EU Competition Alert, January 24, 2018
- Board Member, International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Member, American Chamber of Commerce to the EU--Digital Economy Committee
- Member, Digital Economy Committee of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
- Member, Belgian-Luxembourg Africa Caribbean Chamber of Commerce (CBL-ACP)
- Member, French Association of Data Protection Officers (AFCDP).