- J.D., Cardozo Law School, 2015, cum laude, Jacob Burns Medal Recipient
- B.A., Northwestern University, Honors in American Studies
- Alexander Fellow, Extern to the Honorable Laura Taylor Swain of the Southern District of New York
- New York
Sophie Solomon is an associate in the Corporate Practice Group in the firm's New York office. Sophie is also part of the firm's Healthcare practice team and Non-Profit Industry Team.
Areas of Practice
Sophie’s practice is focused on representing healthcare entities and not-for-profit entities on a large range of business, transactional and regulatory and compliance matters.
Sophie’s corporate and transactional practice focuses on advising clients on matters relating to formation, governance, corporate transactions (mergers, asset sales, dissolutions), federal, state and local tax exemption, and compliance with applicable federal and state law. Sophie’s healthcare regulatory and compliance practice focuses on issues relating to fraud and abuse (the False Claims Act, the Stark Law, the Anti-Kickback Statute, and the Civil Monetary Penalties Law), compliance programs, Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement, the corporate practice of medicine, and ensuring compliance with applicable federal and state law.
Sophie also advises not-for-profit corporations on issues relating to entity formation, governance, corporate transactions (mergers, asset sales, dissolutions), compliance with state not-for-profit laws and qualification for tax-exempt and public charity status.
Sophie began her career as a finance and bankruptcy attorney, and brings this experience to her transactional and regulatory practice by advising clients on legal, strategic and risk areas in connection with transactions and regulatory matters.
Ms. Solomon previously worked on a Pro Bono team that won asylum for a client from Nigeria. Their client was bringing an asylum claim based on both religious and social group persecution. He had a criminal conviction for entering the United States illegally and thus was placed in defensive asylum proceedings. Ms. Solomon and her team defended their client in immigration court in New York and received a full grant of asylum in February 2016.
Healthcare Law Blog Posts
- "Reimbursement for and Documentation of Evaluation and Management Services: CMS Proposes Important Modifications," August 13, 2018
- "The Enforcement Risks for Medicare Advantage Plans Continue: A New False Claims Act Settlement in Florida," June 9, 2017
- "The Financial Impact of MACRA – Uncertainty Reigns in a Recent RAND Corporation Study," May 3, 2017
- Co-Founder of Building Beats, a non-profit organization in New York