- J.D., University of California Hastings College of the Law, 2012, cum laude, Senior Symposium Editor, Hastings Constitutional Law Quarterly
- B.S., Civil Engineering, University of Southern California, 2006
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Tyler Cesar practices business litigation with emphasis on commercial contracts, construction and software implementation projects.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Cesar focuses on breach of contract litigation and related business torts such as fraud, misrepresentation, commercial disparagement and interference with business relationships.
Mr. Cesar advises his clients on the legal and business issues that arise in litigation, arbitration and mediation.
He represents a range of businesses and industries, with a focus on general contractors, joint ventures, major subcontractors, software consulting providers and customers and financial institutions.
Before becoming a lawyer, Mr. Cesar was a project engineer for a general contractor in California. He helped manage and oversee the construction of multi-million dollar public works construction projects throughout Los Angeles. He has extensive personal experience dealing with long-term, complex contractual obligations involving multiple tiers of contracting parties and heavy government coordination and oversight. Mr. Tyler uses this experience to give his clients a proven advantage in prosecuting and defending claims for breach of contract.
Mr. Cesar also is experienced in sustainability. He was previously a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Accredited Professional (LEED AP) and helped architects and owners achieve LEED certification for their buildings.
Mr. Cesar also handles clients’ appeals and writ petitions, involving matters that arise during litigation, arbitration and post-trial.
He served as judicial extern to the Honorable Carlos T. Bea in the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and to the Honorable Ming W. Chin in the California Supreme Court. Through his time serving with these appellate courts, he gained invaluable experience regarding appellate decision-making, state and federal procedural law and a wide variety of substantive areas of law, including federal preemption, the National Labor Relations Act, the Federal Aviation Administration Authorization Act, employment law, fraud and conspiracy and various criminal law matters.
- Southern California Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2018
- Fellow, Construction Lawyers Society of America, 2018
- Sheppard Mullin Pro Bono All-Star, 2018
Represented general contractor in dispute against Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) arising out of construction of elementary school.
Represented general contractor in dispute against engineering firm arising out of design-build joint venture agreement regarding construction of heavy civil project (freeway expansion).
Represented general contractor in dispute against electrical subcontractor involving delay and impact claims arising out of construction of a middle school for Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD).
Represent bridge builder in dispute with the County of Fresno involving construction methods and delay events.
Represented contractor in payment dispute regarding construction of solar power system.
Represented golf equipment and apparel company in dispute involving global software implementation project (Oracle ERP).
- American Bar Association
- Associated General Contractors (AGC) California, Member, 2017-18
- Orange County Bar Foundation, Associate Board Member, 2017-18
- Public Counsel, Associate Board Member, 2015-16
- Libertas College Preparatory Charter School, Board Member, 2015-16
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, Pathfinder Fellow, 2015