- J.D., University of California, Davis, 2014
- B.A., University of Chicago, 2009
- Northern District of California
Toni Qiu is an associate in the Intellectual Property Practice Group in the firm's San Francisco office.
Areas of Practice
Ms. Qiu has substantial experience in handling a wide range of intellectual property matters. She has represented both claimants and alleged infringers in connection with various trademark disputes, including all aspects of trademark litigation, trademark prosecution, portfolio management, trademark clearance, counseling, and enforcement, as well as proceedings before the USPTO’s Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. Ms. Qiu also has experience handling cases involving claims of patent, copyright, and trade dress infringement, as well as claims for trademark dilution, false advertising, unfair competition, misappropriation of trade secrets, and other tort claims. Ms. Qiu has both trial and appellate experience in federal court, and has worked on all aspects of a case, including with drafting complaints, fact and expert discovery, dispositive motion practice, pretrial, trial, and post-trial proceedings, appeal, and enforcement of judgments.
Ms. Qiu has represented clients in a number of industries, including big box retailers and online retailers, automakers, ice cream manufacturers, and other producers of consumer products. Ms. Qiu has also worked on matters for prominent businesses in the medical devices industry, in natural gas technology, and in mobile device communication channel selection and content streaming technology.
In addition, Ms. Qiu has handled a number of pro bono matters, including with child adoption, criminal record expungement, trademark prosecution, and corporate business filings on behalf of non-profit organizations. Ms. Qiu is also the Co-Chair of the firm’s San Francisco Women Lawyers Group.
Ms. Qiu is currently representing or has represented:
- An ice cream manufacturer and distributor in a three-week bench trial in federal court involving claims and counterclaims for trademark infringement and false advertising, in which the court entered a permanent injunction against the opposing party. Ms. Qiu served as second chair during the trial, taking direct and cross examination of several witnesses, and drafting all relevant pretrial and trial documents. After trial, Ms. Qiu drafted the proposed findings of fact and conclusions of law, large portions of which were adopted verbatim by the court. On appeal, Ms. Qiu also drafted the appellate briefing. The appellate court affirmed the trial court’s decision in its entirety.
- A big box retailer in a suit involving claims for trademark infringement, false advertising, unfair competition, and breach of contract over a word and design mark. Ms. Qiu handled fact and expert discovery, and prepared the motion for summary judgment and supporting materials, as well as pretrial documents. The case settled favorably.
- An online retailer involving claims of trademark infringement and counterfeiting. Ms. Qiu was responsible for drafting the briefing and preparing all materials filed in connection with cross motions for summary judgment. The case settled favorably.
- A leading global automaker in a trademark dispute involving a word and design mark. Ms. Qiu worked on discovery matters, prepared for fact and expert witness depositions, and assisted with drafting cross motions for summary judgment. The case settled favorably.
- A national video game accessory company in a trademark dispute involving a word mark used in connection with toys and figurines. The case settled favorably.
- Various companies in a breadth of industries with successful prosecution of trademark applications in the United States.
Intellectual Property Law Blog Posts