- J.D., University of California, Hastings, 2001
- B.S., Computer Science, University of Missouri, 1993
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
William Ahmann is a partner in the Intellectual Property Practice Group in the firm's Palo Alto office.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Ahmann focuses on intellectual property law in the fields of wireless networks, telecommunications, computers, software, semiconductors, electronics, security, business methods, and the Internet.
Other areas of his practice include patent prosecution, licensing, litigation, copyright, trademark procurement, and designs protection. Mr. Ahmann has worked with a number of clients, rendering patent opinions, including invalidity and noninfringement opinions, focusing on patent prosecution and patent analysis, and establishing internal patent procurement programs and competitive analysis.
Mr. Ahmann has drafted, supervised, and/or prosecuted approximately 600 patent applications, and has filed and/or prosecuted dozens of reexaminations.
He has been involved in multiple litigation matters and monetization efforts. He also has served as primary counsel in many licensing negotiations.
In the wireless space in particular, Mr. Ahmann has drafted, supervised, and/or prosecuted nearly 100 patent applications; drafted or supervised opinion letters; analyzed extensive portfolios; and defended against licensing and litigation efforts of non-practicing entities ("patent trolls").
- Intellectual Property & Technology Law Journal, January 2012
Intellectual Property Law Blog Posts
- Stephen Debenham Aims to Turn Legal Issues Into Innovative Solutions for Aerohive NetworksDaily Journal, April 20, 2017
- Speaker, "How to Get the Patent Protection VCs Crave," Idea to IPO, November 14, 2017
- Moderator, "Venture Capital Panel: Funding for IoT Startups," Idea to IPO, November 8, 2017
- Moderator, "Latest Innovations in Big Data," Idea to IPO, October 18, 2017
- Moderator, "Latest Innovations in Machine Learning," Idea to IPO August 31, 2017
- Moderator, "Latest Innovations in AI," Idea to IPO, August 8, 2017
- Guest Lecturer, "Legal Issues of Start Up Business," Santa Clara Law School, June 11, 2014
- Panelist, "Digital Health Innovation: Project to Product, Gladstone Institute, San Francisco, May 14, 2014
- Guest Lecturer, "Company Strategies Related to Innovation and IP," UC Merced, February 13, 2013
- Moderator, "Harnessing and Leveraging your IP," SVForum's CXO Forum, August 21, 2012
- Facilitator, "Patents and Trade Secrets for Early-stage Cleantech Ventures," Cleantech Open, San Jose, July 23, 2010
- Speaker, "Meeting with Japanese Delegation (SVASE/US Embassy in Tokyo)," Intellectual Property: Protecting Innovation, March 8, 2011
- Mentor, The Cleantech Open, July 4, 2011
- Speaker, Introduction to Copyright, Trademark and Other IP Law, LawReviewCLE, August 25, 2011
- Speaker, "Protect Your Intellectual Property Without Breaking Your Bank!" SVASE CXO Leadership Forum, September 14,2011
- Panelist, Patent Update Panel, ESIP Conference, Los Cabos, Mexico, November 9-13, 2011
- Speaker, "An Introduction to Doing Business in Silicon Valley, Osborne Clarke," Palo Alto, CA, November 15, 2011.
- Silicon Valley Startup: Idea to IPOFebruary 28, 2018
- Intellectual Property, Regulation, and FinancingGladstone Institute, San Francisco, May 14, 2014