- J.D., Northwestern University, Editor of the Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology, 1990
- B.A., DePauw University, 1987
- Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Supreme Court
- USCA - Federal Circuit
- USCA - Seventh Circuit
Brad Graveline is a partner in the Intellectual Property and Litigation Practice Groups in the firm's Chicago office.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Graveline has more than 20 years of experience litigating patent infringement cases, trademark disputes and other commercial matters. His patent infringement experience involves a variety of technologies, including pharmaceuticals, medical devices, nutrition supplements, biologics and wireless communications. He has particular expertise in Hatch-Waxman litigation and has represented pharmaceutical companies in over twenty-five ANDA cases. Mr. Graveline frequently represents highly visible clients in high-stakes cases, and he has served as lead trial and appeal counsel in a variety of federal and state courts. In addition to patent litigation experience, he has worked on a wide array of other commercial cases in the areas of product liability, securities, civil and criminal antitrust, and class action defense.
Mr. Graveline has represented Abon Pharmaceuticals; Incepta Pharmaceuticals; Teva Pharmaceuticals; Barr Laboratories; Stryker; MacLean Power Systems; Sun Pharmaceuticals; Morningstar; Nuveen; C.R. Bard; UBS/PaineWebber; Sears, Roebuck and Co.; Allstate Insurance Co.; uBid.com; Illinois State Medical Insurance Services; Abbott Laboratories; General Electric Co.; and Kanbay International.
Some of Mr. Graveline's representative patent litigation matters include the following:
- Representation of Abon and Incepta in ANDA Litigation relating to extended release gabapentin. Depomed, Inc. v. Incepta Pharmaceuticals, et al.
- Representation of a large national retailer in patent infringement litigation involving wifi technology.
- Representation of Everett Laboratories in multiple cases involving nutritional supplements. Everett Laboratories, Inc. v. Acella Pharmaceuticals, LLC.
- Representation of Teva in patent infringement litigation relating to the oral contraceptive product YAZ®. Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, Inc., et al. v. Bayer Schering Pharma AG, et al.
- Representation of Barr in ANDA case involving patents relating to dutasteride, the active ingredient in Avodart®, which is used for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia. SmithKline Beecham Corporation v. Barr Laboratories, Inc.
- Representation of Stryker in patent litigation relating to prosthetic hips.
- Representation of Barr in ANDA litigation relating to Travatan® and Travatan Z®, which are used for the treatment of intraocular pressure in patients with open-angle glaucoma. Alcon Research, Ltd. v. Barr Laboratories, Inc.
- Representation of Teva in ANDA litigation relating to Lumigan®, an ophthalmic solution used for the treatment of intraocular pressure in patients with open-angle glaucoma. Allergan, Inc. v. Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, Inc.
- Representation of Barr in an ANDA case involving patents relating to raloxifene, the active ingredient in Lilly's Evista product, which is used in the treatment of osteoporosis. Eli Lilly and Company, et al., v. Barr Laboratories, Inc.
- Representation of Barr Laboratories in ANDA litigation relating to Femcon Fe®, a chewable oral contraceptive product. Warner Chilcott Company, Inc. v. Barr Laboratories, Inc.
- Representation of Barr Laboratories in ANDA litigation relating to Focalin XR®, a drug product used in the treatment of attention deficit disorders. Celgene Corporation, et al. v. Barr Laboratories, Inc.
- Representation of Barr Laboratories in ANDA litigation relating to Entocort EC®, a drug product used in the treatment of inflammatory bowel disease. AstraZeneca LP, et al. v. Barr Laboratories, Inc.
- Representation of Barr in an ANDA case relating to Celgene’s Thalomid® drug product. Celgene Corporation v. Barr Laboratories, Inc.
- Representation of Sun and Caraco Pharmaceutical Laboratories, Ltd. in ANDA cases relating to Schering’s patent for Clarinex®, a pharmaceutical product used to treat allergy symptoms. Schering Corporation v. Sun Pharmaceutical Industries, Ltd., et al.
- Representation of Sun in cases relating to Cardene® I.V., an injectable drug product used for short-term treatment of hypertension. PDL Biopharma, Inc. v. Sun Pharmaceutical Industries, Ltd.
- Representation of Abbott Laboratories in a patent infringement case relating to Humira®. Rockefeller Univ. and Chiron Corp. v. Abbott Laboratories
- Representation of Barr Laboratories in ANDA litigation relating to the oral contraceptive Mircette®. Bio-Technology General Corp. v. Duramed Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Representation of Barr Laboratories in ANDA litigation relating to fentanyl, a drug product used for pain relief. Cephalon, Inc., et al. v. Barr Laboratories, Inc.
- Representation of Abbott in a patent infringement case relating to Abbott’s patents covering a remote glucose monitoring device. Abbott Diabetes Care, Inc. v. DexCom, Inc.
Intellectual Property Law Blog Posts
- "The Advanced Forum for Brand Name and Generic Counsel on the Intricacies of Extreme Hatch-Waxman Litigation," American Conference Institute, Chicago, Illinois, October 1, 2014
- "The Drug Approval Process in the U.S.," Sheppard Mullin conference on "Overview of U.S. Drug Application and Patent Litigation Process: What Korean Companies Need to Know to Enter into the U.S. Market," Seoul, Korea, April 9, 2014