At Sheppard Mullin, we recognize the importance of diversity and the need to create a workplace of inclusion. We need, and our clients demand, a team of attorneys that is as diverse as the world in which we practice. Achieving and maintaining diversity is key to effective client service – a core value of our firm.
At Sheppard Mullin, we ‘walk the talk.’ Our firm was appointed in 2013 by the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana as the federal monitor over the New Orleans Police Department responsible for reviewing, assessing and reporting publicly on the NOPD's compliance with a far reaching Consent Decree involving civil rights and effective, constitutional, and professional law enforcement.
Policy of Equality
Everyone in the Firm is expected to behave in a professional manner at all times. It is the Firm’s policy that its employees enjoy a work environment free from all forms of unlawful discrimination, including sexual harassment. Any conduct contrary to this policy is strictly prohibited and will not be tolerated. Any person who violates this policy may be subject to discipline, including immediate termination.
This policy covers all employees and members of this Firm, including partners, associates, contract employees, managers, paralegals, persons designated "of counsel," volunteer workers and support staff.
Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the maintenance of an employment environment which is welcoming of persons from diverse backgrounds and free from unlawful discrimination and harassment, and in which all of the legal rights of our employees are recognized and protected. Unlawful discrimination based upon race, color, religious creed, sex, gender, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, genetic information, medical condition, physical or mental disability, military and veteran status, and all other characteristics proscribed by law is strictly prohibited.
Because of Sheppard Mullin’s commitment to diversity, the firm has received numerous diversity awards. These include:
- 2016 California State Bar Law Firm Diversity Award – The only law firm selected to receive the award for sustained efforts in promoting diversity & inclusion in the legal profession.
- 2016 Minority Corporate Counsel Association Thomas A. Sager Award Finalist – Among three top law firms recognized in the nation for promoting diversity and inclusion efforts.
- Client Diversity Awards – Named as a top law firm service provider for diversity & inclusion initiatives by four prominent clients in 2015 & 2016.
- American Lawyer Top Firms for Diversity/2016 Diversity Scorecard – Among the top law firms for diversity in 2016 (#52) and in prior consecutive years.
- 2016 HRC Corporate Equality Index – 100% rating of LGBT workplace benefits (7th consecutive year).
- Law360 100 Best Law Firms for Minority Attorneys –Ranked among the 100 best firms for minority attorneys in 2015 and 2016.
Diversity Scholarships & Sponsorships
As a part of Sheppard Mullin’s commitment to diversity, the firm annually funds diversity scholarships for diverse law students through the California Bar Foundation, Black Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles, Hispanic American Bar Association and other legal profession entities. The Firm also presently supports or has supported in the past – through both financial sponsorship and attorney leadership – other diversity bar associations and diversity initiatives for attorneys of color, women attorneys, LGBTQ attorneys and attorneys with disabilities.