Foreign Language Bio
- J.D., University of Maryland School of Law, 1993, with honors
- M.S., Electrical Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, 1986
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, University of Delaware, 1982
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
Daniel Yannuzzi is a partner and former co-chair of the Intellectual Property Practice Group. He advises clients in all areas of intellectual property law, including patent and other intellectual property litigation, strategic portfolio development, technology licensing, and transactional matters.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Yannuzzi has extensive experience advising high-technology companies and their stakeholders on complex, business-critical IP matters. Mr. Yannuzzi's practice involves intellectual property litigation, with an emphasis on patent litigation; developing IP strategies and IP portfolios aligned with business goals; assessing, avoiding and responding to third-party IP threats; in-bound and out-bound technology licensing, including standards-based licensing; and negotiating IP asset transactions such as mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures and the like. He has advised a wide range of industry leaders, including companies such as Olympus Corporation, Hewlett-Packard, Samsung, Conexant Systems, Fujitsu, Cadence Design Systems and Targus. Mr. Yannuzzi has served as primary outside intellectual property counsel to numerous electronics, software, telecommunications, and medical device companies.
Previously, Mr. Yannuzzi was a partner and co-manager of the electrical patent practice group at a prestigious Washington D.C. firm. Mr. Yannuzzi also has several years of in-house legal experience, where he served as Vice President of Worldwide Legal Affairs and Assistant Corporate Secretary to Skyworks Solutions, Inc., and as Vice President and Chief Intellectual Property Counsel to Conexant Systems, Inc., a multi-billion dollar semiconductor company.
Prior to entering the legal profession, Mr. Yannuzzi was an engineering manager at Allied Signal Aerospace, where he managed the development and integration of spacecraft communication and tracking systems for various NASA programs. He also led a team of scientists and engineers in the development of high precision satellite laser ranging systems for NASA's Crustal Dynamics Project.
- Leading Intellectual Property Lawyer, Chambers USA, 2012, 2013
- Southern California Super Lawyer, 2012-2014
- Top 25 Portfolio Managers, Prosecutors & License Specialists, Daily Journal
- Life Sciences Star, LMG Life Sciences, 2012, 2013
- "Intellectual Property Issues"Cloud Computing Legal Deskbook, 2013 Edition, Thomson Reuters WestlawThomson Reuters Westlaw, November 2013
- Mistakes to Avoid in Crafting an IP License: What to Watch for to Avoid Creating Issues in Later LitigationAspatore, January 2011
- Are strings attached to Recovery Act Funds?San Diego Daily Transcript, October 22, 2009
- Apastore, March 20, 2009
- Daily Journal, February 9, 2011
- Moderator, "Current Developments re Intellectual Property Issues in Insolvency Proceedings," West Legal Education Video, September 28, 2013, Paris, France.
- Panelist, "Current Legal Problems at the Interface of Intellectual Property Law and Competition Law," West Legal Education Video, May 31, 2013.
- Moderator, "Look Near First! Capture the Value of Local Outsourcing in Medical Device and Life Science Instrumentation," August 2012, San Diego, CA.
- Speaker, "Playing The Role of Ostrich or Fox: Which Approach Do You Take with Respect to Competitor Patents?," ACC America, March 30, 2007, San Francisco, CA.
- Moderator, San Diego Software Industry Council Managing Innovation Conference, 2006.
- Speaker, "Responding to IP Threat Letters – It’s Your Move," San Diego Bar Association, June 14, 2005.
- Speaker, "Recent Trends in IP Due Diligence," The VC Roundtable, March 9, 2005.
- Speaker, "Drafting and Negotiating Non-Disclosure Agreements with Business Partners," ACC America, December 2004, San Diego, CA.
- GAO Expert Panelist, Foreign Patent Challenges; 2002 Expert Panel Report: "Federal Action Needed to Help Small Businesses Address Foreign Patent Challenges."
- Speaker, "Giving Your Intellectual Property Law Department a Tune-Up," ACCA Annual Meeting, October 2001, San Diego, CA.
- Speaker, "Foreign Patent Prosecution Strategies," AIPLA Spring Meeting, April 2001, San Francisco, CA.
- Luncheon Speaker/Panelist, "Mentoring in Intellectual Property," AIPLA Spring Meeting, April 2001, San Francisco, CA.
- Instructor/Sponsor, Legal Module, University of California, Irvine Vantage MBA Program, 2000-2002.
- Instructor, University of California, San Diego, Intellectual Property for Engineers.
- Third Thursday Emerging Company Webinar SeriesVia WebEx, March 20, 2014
- Third Thursday Emerging Company Webinar Seriesvia WebEx, May 16, 2013
- Third Thursday Emerging Company Webinar SeriesWebEx, September 20, 2012
- Third Thursday Emerging Company WebinarsWebEx, June 16, 2011
- Third Thursday Emerging Company WebinarsLiveMeeting, November 19, 2009
- Member, SDIPLA
- Member, AIPLA