- J.D., American University, Washington College of Law, cum laude, 2006
- Maitrise en Droit (J.D. equivalent), University of Paris X-Nanterre, magna cum laude, 2004
- Intern, Trade Section, Delegation of the European Commission in the United States
- Intern, Legal Advisor, Organization of American States
- New York
- District of Columbia
Ms. Malika Levarlet is an associate in the Corporate Practice Group in the firm's Washington, D.C. office.
Areas of Practice
Ms. Levarlet's practice focuses on advising international and domestic companies in connection with mergers and acquisitions, cross-border transactions (with a focus on U.S. and European companies), joint ventures, licensing agreements, and corporate governance. She represents clients operating in a wide range of industries including technology, hospitality, fashion and apparel, healthcare, financial services, and aerospace and defense.
Ms. Levarlet also counsels international and domestic clients regarding compliance with U.S. trade and antitrust laws and regulations, including those pertaining to mergers (e.g., the Hart-Scott-Rodino Act) and consumer protection (e.g., the Federal Trade Commission Act). She regularly assists clients in conducting internal investigations and responding to Governmental inquiries in these areas.
Aside from her practice, Ms. Levarlet, a native of France, is an Adjunct Professor at American University, Washington College of Law, where she teaches a course on Principles of French Law.
Ms. Levarlet is also an active member of Sheppard Mullin's Recruiting Committee and Pro Bono Committee.
Representation of Arcadian Management Services, Inc. in its acquisition by Humana Inc.
Representation of BlueWater Communications Group, LLC in its acquisition by Presidio, Inc., an American Securities portfolio company.
Representation of Autosplice, Inc. in its acquisition by J.H. Whitney Capital Partners, LLC.
Representation of Luitpold Pharmaceuticals in divestiture of abbreviated new drug application (ANDA) and associated assets relating to synthetic chemotherapeutic antibiotic drug.
Representation of the trust department of a major U.S. bank in matters relating to fiduciary duties and administration and termination of trusts.
Representation of BBG Global in connection with a secured cross-border financing transaction to a French borrower in the telecommunications industry.
Representation of De Beers, Inc. in connection with corporate, employment and real estate matters in the U.S.
Representation of Brown-United in connection with the structuring of a sporting event in France.
Representation of BIT Systems (a provider of signal processing and systems engineering technical assistance (SETA) services to the intelligence community) in its leveraged buyout by GTCR Golder Rauner.
Representation of Arlington Capital Partners and its portfolio company, Chandler/May, in connection with add-on acquisition of developer of prototype unmanned aerial vehicles and systems.
Representation of Chandler/May in connection with leveraged dividend recapitalization.
Representation of L-1 Identity Solutions in acquisition of McClendon for cash and stock.
Representation of Luitpold Pharmaceuticals in acquisition of Roxro Pharma, a late-stage specialty pharmaceutical company that developed Rx nasal spray for treatment of acute pain.
Representation of C.B. Fleet in connection with the acquisition of all intellectual property, government permits and all other assets related to a development-stage product.
Representation of C.B. Fleet in connection with sale of certain assets to Axcon Pharma.
Representation of private equity fund in its controlling investment in retail shopping center development.
Representation of FirmGreen, Inc. in its development equity/debt financing and related licensing matters for landfill gas extraction projects.
- "Understanding Legal Trends in the Private Equity and Venture Capital Market: Legal, Institutional and Regulatory Trends Affecting the Secondary Private Equity Market," Aspatore Books from West (Thomson Reuters), January 2011
- "Italy's the New Merger Magnet," The National Law Journal, July 30, 2007
Law Blog Posts
- "Higher Filing Thresholds for HSR Act Premerger Notifications and Interlocking Directorates Announced," Sheppard Mullin Corporate & Securities Law Blog, January 15, 2015
- "Delaware Chancery Court Finds Merger "Entirely Fair" to Common Stockholders Despite the Merger Leaving Common Stockholders With No Consideration for Their Shares," Sheppard Mullin Corporate & Securities Law Blog, August 27, 2013
- "Higher Filing Thresholds for HSR Act Premerger Notifications Effective February 11, 2013," Sheppard Mullin Antitrust Law Blog, February 13, 2013
- "FTC Proposes Amendments to the Premerger Notification Rules to Expand the Reportability of Transfers of Exclusive Patent Rights in the Pharmaceutical Industry," Sheppard Mullin Antitrust Law Blog, August 16, 2012
- "Tampering with documents in connection with a merger investigation can land you in jail!" Sheppard Mullin Corporate & Securities Law Blog, May 10, 2012
- "A Window into Washington: Report on Hearings for S. 1681 and H.R. 3596, Proposed Legislation to End Health Insurers' Antitrust Exemption," Sheppard Mullin Healthcare Law Blog, October 23, 2009
- "Executive Briefing on Mergers and Acquisitions: Lessons Learned, Public Contracting Institute," May 25 and September 7, 2011
- International Law Section, American Bar Association
- Former Co-Chair of the Europe Committee and Former Editor of the Committee's Weekly News Bulletin
- New York State Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar
- Federal Communications Bar Association