- LL.B (Hons), Manchester University
- Chester College of Law (Law Society Final Examinations), with honors
- England and Wales
Robb Klein is a partner and the Practice Group Leader of the Entertainment, Technology and Advertising Practice Group in the firm's Century City office.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Klein specializes in all aspects of entertainment, media and communications law, particularly film and television financing, production and distribution, merchandising and the licensing of rights and new media.
Mr. Klein has worked on the financing and production of numerous feature films, from small independent movies to studio blockbusters. He has also worked on numerous deals utilizing tax incentives around the world, and specializes in structuring international co-productions. His work for financiers includes acting for banks, entrepreneurs, tax funds and hedge funds, often involving secured lending and complex multi-party financing arrangements.
Mr. Klein represents studios, independent production companies and individual producers and advises on chain of title and copyright issues, joint development agreements, co-financing agreements, output agreements, first-look agreements, re-make deals, rights acquisition agreements and options, negative pick-up agreements and related financing documents, format rights and television licensing agreements, sales agency and distribution agreements. He has also acted as production counsel on many films.
With regard to online and mobile business, Mr. Klein advises companies on their online commercial arrangements, from terms and conditions to commercial supply and advertising agreements, and on mobile content licensing. He has represented both content owners and mobile platform operators. He also advises computer games developers in their dealings with publishers and on other types of software licensing.
Mr. Klein has worked on the commercial side of many significant corporate deals in the media sector including IPOs and acquisitions of companies in the film, television, music, computer games, mobile and video on demand sectors.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Klein was a partner in the Media & Communications Department of SJ Berwin LLP, a leading European law firm, based in their London office.
- Recognized as an expert in film financing in Chambers Guide to the UK Legal Profession, Legal Experts and the Legal 500.
- Represented the mezzanine lender on the financing of the motion picture "JOBS"
- Represented Exclusive Media on the financing of the motion picture "Rush", a UK-German Co-Production
- Represented Kaushi Entertainment on the financing and production of "Machine Gun Preacher," a $30 million independently financed motion picture
- Represented Octopus Investments in connection with an $80 million P&A facility
- Represented MICA Entertainment in connection with the establishment of a $50 million film fund
- Represented Screen Gems on the production of "Mardi Gras" and "Bone Deep"
- Represented Barbarian Films on the financing and production of "The Greatest" and "13"
- Represented Bridgeworks Capital in respect of loans on several large U.S. independent pictures.
- Represented Spanish animation house Ilion Studios on the financing and production of "Planet 51"
- Represented Magnet Media Group in connection with the financing of "The Experiment" and "Dark Tide"
- Represented Alcon Entertainment in connection with the Irish co-production arrangements on "P.S. I Love You"
- Represented a number of tax funds on numerous films utilizing various UK tax incentives
- Advised a Spanish producer in connection with the English language remake by a US studio of the film "Torrente"
- Development, production and financing work on numerous films including "Flawless", "Love in the Time of Cholera", "Basic Instinct 2", "P.S. I Love You", "Mrs. Henderson Presents", "Feast of the Goat" and "Travels With My Aunt"
- Advised a European telecoms operator on their content deals for cell phones, a music mobile download service and a "life caching" product
- Negotiating a license deal with a telecoms operator to supply a children's channel owned by a major US studio on their mobile network
- Coordinating the due diligence exercises in relation to the sale of the Miramax film library, the acquisition by Universal Music of the Sanctuary Music Group and the acquisition of DIC Entertainment by Cookie Jar
- Worked on the acquisition by Universal Music by BMG Music Publishing for €1.6 Billion in particular on the complex due diligence exercise and the EU merger clearance
- Represented a well known computer games developer on its arrangements with publishers in connection with the development of computer games
- Advising various rights owners licensing rights for use in computer games
- "The Future of Broadcasting: Rights and Regulation in the Digital Age," In-house Lawyer, July 2007
- "A Guide to Film Financing in Spain," Media Focus, June 2007
- "Sale and Leaseback is Dead. Long Live the UK Tax Credit," Encore Magazine, June 2007
- "Film Hedge Funds: A New Money Tree?" Media Annual 2007, January 2007
- "Coming Up For Air – The New UK Film Incentives," Media Annual 2006, January 2006
- Los Angeles Daily Journal, April 7, 2008
- Presentation at The Beijing Film Academy (Beijing, China), June 2013
- Film Finance Forum (Shanghai International Film Festival), 2013
- Digital Distribution: Revolutionary Destructive or Both? (Beverly Hills Bar Association), April 2013
- BNA/Atlas International Film & TV Finance Summit (New York), September 2011 and 2010
- BNA/Atlas International Film & TV Finance Summit (Los Angeles), March 2011 and 2012
- Global Media Update (Los Angeles), 2008-2012
- Film Finance Forum (Los Angeles), March 2009
- Series of three in-house seminars (London) – "The Distribution and Delivery of Digital Entertainment", June/July 2007
- In-house Seminar (Madrid) – "European Film Financing Incentives", June 2007
- In-house Seminar (London) – "Where Next for Mobile Content?", February 2007
- In-house Seminar (London) – "ICT: Emerging Technologies", January 2007
- Presented by Winston BakerCrowne Plaza Shanghai, June 13, 2016
- November 1, 2012
- The Luxe Hotel, Los Angeles, CA, March 22, 2012
- November 8, 2011
- New York, NY, September 22, 2011
- Presented by BNA/AtlasLos Angeles, March 3, 2011
- Presented by BNA/AtlasNew York City, September 27, 2010
- November 7, 2008