Each year, approximately six million people are threatened and one million people are physically attacked in the workplace in this country. More than 35% of employers in this country have experienced actual violence in the workplace. Due to numerous socioeconomic factors, workplace violence has been on the rise in recent years. Every employer needs to take steps to protect their workers from these serious risks.
Sheppard Mullin advises clients on how to protect their workforce and limit potential liability from workplace violence issues. We advise on a vast array of topics pertaining to workplace violence, including:
- Drafting policies to address issues concerning workplace violence
- Training employees and management concerning these important issues
- Evaluating potential risk factors in the workplace
- Identifying "triggering events" and "early warning signs"
- Developing screening procedures during the hiring process
- Counseling employers concerning how to discipline and terminate in ways that will limit risk of violence
- Developing an "Employer Response Team" to deal with these problems
- Evaluating physical security and access risks, among other safety issues
- Balancing privacy rights with prevention
- Providing information pertaining to Employee Assistance Programs, emergency personnel and mental health professionals
- Interacting with the police on behalf of the employer when necessary
- Pursuing legal options such as Temporary Restraining Orders ("TROs"), injunctions and/or civil suits
With our deep expertise in this highly specialized area of the law, we consistently strive to provide the best possible advice, counseling and protection concerning workplace violence.
- Los Angeles Business Journal, September 12, 2016
- Daily Journal Names Thomas Kaufman, Tracey Kennedy, and Richard Simmons Top Labor & Employment AttorneysDaily Journal, July 20, 2016
- Tracey Kennedy, Richard Simmons, and Jonathan Stoler Recognized on The Nation's Most Powerful Employment Attorneys ListLawdragon, June 15, 2016
- Tracey Kennedy, Richard Simmons and Jonathan Stoler Recognized on The Nation's Most Powerful Employment Attorneys ListLawdragon/Human Resource Executive, June 16, 2015
- Daily Journal, June 3, 2015
- Tracey Kennedy, Jill Pietrini, Nancy Scull, and Pamela Westhoff Recognized as "Top Women Lawyers" by Daily JournalDaily Journal, May 13, 2015