- J.D., Harvard Law School, 2008
- LL.M, University of Cambridge (King's College), 2007, Commercial Law
- B.A. University of California, Santa Barbara, 2003, high honors
- Southern and Northern Districts of California
Mr. Moreno is an associate in the Business Trial Practice Group in the firm's San Diego office.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Moreno practices general business and commercial litigation in both state and federal courts. He has experience handling matters in a diverse array of industries, including the banking and finance, mortgage, hospitality, technology and telecommunications, energy and extraction, and pharmaceutical industries. He is also experienced in the law of receivership and has actively managed the legal affairs of businesses placed into receivership. He is familiar with single plaintiff litigation, derivative claims, class actions and other complex litigation. Mr. Moreno has experience acting as lead associate managing the defense of a class actions alleging violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
Mr. Moreno has successfully represented clients in claims involving breach of contract, unfair business practices, false advertising, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, negligence, wrongful foreclosure, unfair debt collection, unfair credit reporting, unjust enrichment, misappropriation of trade secrets, quiet title, emotional distress, and receiverships, among others.
Mr. Moreno is fluent in Spanish and has experience litigating cross-border disputes and labor disputes involving a primarily Spanish speaking workforce. He recently acted as lead associate in an intense fact gathering investigation involving a wage and hour class action at a large waste management company.
Mr. Moreno is a regular contributor to various legal blogs discussing developments in the law affecting public companies, issuers of securities, banking and finance regulations, and companies with business in Latin America. Mr. Moreno also regularly updates Sheppard Mullin’s practice guide regarding the defense of subprime mortgage related lawsuits.
Mr. Moreno also volunteers his time to various pro-bono causes, and recently obtained two trial victories as lead counsel in one case and co-lead counsel in the other.
- San Diego Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2015
- Law360, June 2, 2014
Corporate & Securities Law Blog Posts
- "Ninth Circuit Holds that Under Nevada Law, a Prior Stockholder’s Litigation of Demand Futility Precludes Another Stockholder From Litigating Demand Futility In a Subsequent Derivative Action," January 5, 2015
- "Delaware Court of Chancery Underscores Heightened Pleading Standard Necessary to Support a Claim for Breach of Fiduciary Duty In Connection With a Merger," May 12, 2014
- "Delaware Court of Chancery Grants Summary Judgment Dismissing Breach of Fiduciary Duty Claims In Absence of Evidence of Directors’ “Conscious Disregard” of Fiduciary Duties," March 12, 2014
- "Delaware Chancery Court Establishes Procedural Framework for Obtaining Business Judgment Review for Going Private Transaction Sponsored By Majority Stockholders," June 25, 2013
- "California Court of Appeal Recognizes That Wide Discretion Granted to a Board of Directors Under the Business Judgment Rule May Be Tempered By a Corporation's Private Contractual Obligations to Its Shareholders/Members," February 15, 2013
- "New York Appellate Court Adopts Delaware Supreme Court's Tooley Test For Determining Whether a Stockholder's Claim Is Direct or Derivative," August 22, 2012
- "Delaware Chancery Court Clarifies When Corporate Officers and Directors are Entitled to Mandatory Indemnification Under DGCL § 145," March 19, 2012
- "Foreign Corporation's Mere Awareness That Its Products May Ultimately End Up In a Forum State Is Not Sufficient Contact to Support Personal Jurisdiction," January 12, 2012
- "California Court of Appeal Refuses to Permit an Action for Rescission of a Strategic Transaction, Holding That a Board Has No Duty Under California Law to Include a 'Fiduciary Out'," August 22, 2011
- "California Court of Appeal Holds That State Courts Have Jurisdiction Over Securities Act Class Actions Unless the Action Is a "Covered Class Action" and Involves a "Covered Security" Under SLUSA," May 31, 2011
- "Sixth Circuit Reverses Dismissal of a Shareholder Derivative Action Based Upon the Lack of Independence of the Special Litigation Committee," April 14, 2011
Financial Institutions Law Blog Posts
- "No Change Of Position, No Estoppel," January 9, 2015
- "If It’s Not In Writing, It Didn’t Happen: Oral Promises To Modify A Loan Are Not Enforceable," January 29, 2014
- "California Court Holds That Borrowers May Enjoin A Foreclosure If A Lender Fails To Meet Servicing Guidelines," February 4, 2013
- "California Homeowner Bill of Rights: A New Mortgage Law For The New Year," December 12, 2012
- "TILA Does Not Require A Loan Servicer To Identify Who Owns A Loan, Unless The Servicer Owns The Loan By Assignment," October 16, 2012
- "Court of Appeal Reaffirms MERS' Ability to Foreclose, Holds That Recorded Documents Do Not Overcome a Specifically Pled Violation of Section 2923.5," July 30, 2012
- "Another California Court Approves The Use Of MERS," June 25, 2012
- "Borrower's "Show Me The Note" Argument Fails To Halt Foreclosure," May 18, 2012
- "A 'Loan Workout Plan' Is Not An Agreement To Modify A Loan," March 13, 2012
- "Default Judgment Is Not Available In Actions To Quiet Title," January 9, 2012
- "No Need To Record An Assignment Of A Deed Of Trust Prior To Foreclosure," October 21, 2011
- "Too Little, Too Late For Plaintiff's Fraud-Based Mortgage Lawsuit," September 20, 2011
- "The California Court Of Appeal Again Rejects A Claim For Wrongful Foreclosure At The Pleading Stage," September 1, 2011
- "To Avoid Assuming Fiduciary Duties, Mortgage Lenders Should Take Care to Avoid Acting as Mortgage Brokers," April 14, 2011
- "A Borrower May Not Bring An Action To Determine Whether The Owner Of A Mortgage Note Has Authorized A Nonjudicial Foreclosure," April 12, 2011
Latin American Law Blog Posts
- "Sovereign Litigation in Latin America: Top Five Issues To Think of When Doing Business With a Latin American Country," August 18, 2014
- "Doing Business In Latin America: Does Your Local Supplier Have Best Practices In Place So That Your Company Can Avoid Liability Under The FCPA?" August 2, 2013
- "Argentina's Parliament Approves A Measure Limiting Amount Of Land That Can Be Purchased By Foreigners," February 10, 2012
- "Spanish Language Webinar to Latin American Subsidiary of U.S. Company re Foreign Corrupt Practices Act Compliance," June 2013
- Member of the Louis M. Welsh American Inn of Court, 2011
- Member, San Diego County Bar Association, 2011
- Member, Harvard Law Student Association of San Diego, 2010-current