Sheppard Mullin represents clients in administrative and litigation proceedings under a wide variety of environmental regulations. We have advised on Comprehensive Environmental Response, the Compensation and Liability Act of 1980 ("CERCLA") and the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act of 1976 ("RCRA"), as well as analogous state statutes and common law. We represent clients before administrative boards and regulatory agencies, as well as in the prosecution or defense of actions to allocate responsibility for cleanup costs.
Our team is experienced in underground storage tank regulation and litigation of actions brought pursuant to California Proposition 65, the Federal Clean Water Act and various state environmental laws and tort doctrines, including actions alleging contamination, product defect and failure to warn regarding methyl tertiary butyl ether ("MTBE"). We defend clients in toxic tort actions involving medical damages resulting from alleged contaminant exposure.
In representing clients faced with potential litigation such as individual suits and class actions, as well as other disputes involving risk of large penalty assessments, our attorneys are often involved in multi-jurisdictional criminal investigations. We defend clients charged with criminal violation of environmental laws and, when necessary, work in conjunction with our criminal defense attorneys to resolve the challenges at hand.
- Best Lawyers, August 15, 2016
- U.S. News & World Report/Best Lawyers, November 3, 2015
- Best Lawyers, August 17, 2015
- U.S. News & World Report/Best Lawyers, November 3, 2014
- Oregon District Court Finds State’s Temporary Ban on Instream Motorized Mining Equipment to Be a Valid State Environmental Regulation and Not Preempted by Federal LawAmerican Bar Association: Environmental Litigation and Toxic Torts Committee Newsletter, August 2016
- Case Law Highlights: Mountain/West Coast Colorado Supreme Court Determines Cities’ Fracking Bans Preempted by State LawAmerican Bar Association: Environmental Litigation and Toxic Torts Committee Newsletter, August 2016
- American Bar Association: Environmental Litigation and Toxic Torts Committee Newsletter, August 2016
- Law360, April 1, 2014
- Law of NatureLos Angeles Business Journal, October 6, 2008
- Los Angeles Daily Journal, June 11, 2008
- Los Angeles Daily Journal, June 4, 2008
- Daily Journal, May 10, 2007
- The American Lawyer, March 13, 2007