A.J. is special counsel in the Finance and Bankruptcy Practice Group in the firm's Washington, D.C. office.
Areas of Practice
A.J. has over a decade of experience helping banks, non-bank financial institutions, and other companies providing financial products and services in a wide range of matters including government enforcement actions, civil litigation, regulatory examinations, and internal investigations.
With a diversified regulatory, compliance, and enforcement background, A.J. counsels financial institutions in matters involving the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) since it was first established, having served as counsel in numerous investigations, enforcement actions, and supervisory matters. Beyond his CFPB work, A.J. frequently represents institutions in matters initiated by many other federal agencies, including the Department of Justice (DOJ), Federal Trade Commission (FTC), and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), as well as state Attorneys General and other state regulators such as the New York Department of Financial Services (NYDFS) and Department of Financial Protection and Innovation (DFPI).
A.J.’s extensive enforcement and bank and consumer regulatory experience, in particular with consumer protection statutes, includes focus on the Truth in Lending Act (TILA), the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA), the Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA), the Fair Housing Act (FHAct), the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA), Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), and various unfair, deceptive, or abusive acts and practices (UDAAP) laws under the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act (Dodd-Frank Act), Section 5 of the FTC Act, and various state laws.
A.J. is active in the District of Columbia Bar, where he serves on the Board of Governors. He is a past president of the Washington D.C. chapter of the South Asian Bar Association of North America (SABA) and has been recognized as a Rising Star by SABA.
- Represented indirect auto finance company in a DOJ and state AG investigation into subprime auto loan origination and securitization practices
- Represented several card issuers in CFPB enforcement actions relating to unfair billing tactics and deceptive marketing with respect to credit card add-on products
- Represented a large student loan servicer in parallel federal government investigations, focusing on issues related to UDAAP and SCRA compliance
- Represented a credit reporting bureau in a CFPB enforcement action alleging UDAAP violations relating to the marketing of credit scores to consumers
- Represent financial institutions in connection with data breach and cyber matters, including in connection with related state regulatory and enforcement investigations into breaches
- Represent multiple companies stemming from a CFPB sweep of investigations, which led to enforcement actions and negotiated settlements, alleging violations of the CFPA prohibition against deceptive acts and practices, the MAP Rule, and Regulation Z
- Representation of multiple mortgage companies in FCA and FIRREA investigations by the DOJ, various U.S. attorneys’ offices, HUD, and VA, concerning compliance with the Fair Housing
Administration (FHA) Direct Endorsement Lender program guidelines, VA loan requirements, HECMs, and Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac origination and servicing guidelines
- Represented several banks and non-banks through CFPB examinations and pre-enforcement matters and responding to Proposed Action and Request for Response (PARR)
- Represented a non-bank in a confidential bank regulator enforcement matter based on a referral from the CFPB to the DOJ for alleged fair lending violations
- Responded to FDIC investigation subpoena on behalf of a national bank alleging RESPA violations arising out of co-marketing agreements and desk rentals
- Defended residential mortgage lender in FCA qui tam litigation in Southern District of California regarding the FHA government-insured loan program
- Representing large financial institution in connection with CFPB supervisory examination into fair lending activities
- Advised multiple non-banks on issues related to their advertising and marketing practices in compliance with TCPA, TILA, the MAP Rule, and UDAP/UDAAP
- Advised a FinTech payments processor on matters related to disclosure delivery, advertising and marketing compliance, and risk management
- Represented major card issuer in identifying, self-reporting to CFPB, and remediating UDAAP non-compliance, resulting in the avoidance of a consent order and civil money penalties
- Helped a card issuer redesign existing rewards program, create benchmarks against best in class standards, conduct risk assessments, integrate grandfathered balances, and terminate legacy programs
- Advised credit, debit, and prepaid card issuers in compliance management, deferred interest, and technical compliance with consumer financial laws and regulations
- Participated on due diligence teams to assess regulatory risks related to the acquisition of financial services entities, including mortgage originators and servicers
- Representation of a bank in connection with an FDIC examination that alleged RESPA violations
Rising Star, South Asian Bar Association of North America (SABA), 2017
- Co-author, The Supreme Court’s Ruling in Seila Law LLC v. CFPB: The End of CFPB Constitutionality Litigation? The Business Lawyer (Spring 2021)
- Co-author, The devil is in the details: LabMD imposes limitations on the FTC’s enforcement authority, Cybersecurity Law Report (June 2018)
- Co-author, The FCC’s Expanding Definition of Privacy, Journal of Internet Law (October 2015)
- Co-author, Petitions To Modify or Set Aside CFPB Civil Investigative Demands: Analysis of Recent Decisions, LexisNexis® Emerging Issues Analysis (January 2013)
American Bar Association, Banking Law Committee
District of Columbia Bar Association, Board of Governors (2018-2021)
National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
South Asian Bar Association of North America
South Asian Bar Association of Washington, DC
- LL.M., The George Washington University Law School, 2008
- J.D., Western New England University School of Law, 2007
- B.A., Simon Fraser University, 2001
- District of Columbia