External In-House Privacy Opportunities
Are you a privacy professional looking for an in-house career? Are you an employer looking to share potential opportunities with the industry? At Sheppard Mullin, we know how hard it is for companies to find skilled privacy professionals in this competitive marketplace.
According to a global study from Enterprise Strategy Group and Information Systems Security Association, the cybersecurity skills crisis is resulting in unfulfilled job requisitions, among other things. As part of Sheppard Mullin’s ongoing commitment to the privacy and cybersecurity industry, we are pleased to maintain this job board of in-house privacy openings.
Other innovative efforts from Sheppard Mullin in the privacy and cybersecurity space include our Privacy and Cybersecurity Fellowship (learn more here).
Employers, have a job you would like to have listed? Please contact Megan Bennett.
Posted April 18, 2023
ABA Cybersecurity Legal Task Force is searching for an entry level Staff Attorney - The American Bar Association (District of Columbia)
The ABA Cybersecurity Legal Task Force and Commission on Homelessness & Poverty are seeking a full-time Staff Attorney. The Staff Attorney will split their time 50/50 supporting the work of each entity within the ABA. As a Staff Attorney with the Cybersecurity Legal Task Force, you will work with members in this exciting and emerging legal field to examine ways to help lawyers protect their practices and their clients’ confidential information and intellectual property during cyber events, as well as help to position the ABA to contribute to national dialogue about cyber issues.
- Conduct legal or other research; write memoranda and articles, including for publication.
- Provide substantive advice, information and policy. Includes contacts with government entities, other national or state and local organizations, and sometimes with media.
- Analyze laws, regulations, court rules and policies/policy proposals.
- Provide technical assistance and guidance to outside partners or ABA committees.
- Manage interns/externs.
Posted January 5, 2023
Executive Director & Associate General Counsel, Information Governance & Privacy - Trustmark (Lake Forest, IL)
Trustmark is currently seeking an Executive Director & Associate General Counsel, Information Governance & Privacy to join the team. This is a hybrid work arrangement position. Key Responsibilities include:
- Provide legal advice on all aspects of information law and management, to include privacy, marketing, communications, cybersecurity, emerging technologies, and records management. Document legal requirements, ensure notices and disclosures are legally compliant, and stay up to date on all pertinent regulations and developments as they pertain to Trustmark’s businesses. Develop and participate in governance, investigative and risk management activities as the legal subject matter expert on data confidentiality, security, disclosure, and retention.
- Independently develop templates, review, negotiate and provide response for privacy, security, confidentiality, and cyber-risk contractual terms, including but not limited to, Business Associate Agreements, Data Use and Protection Agreements, non-disclosure agreements, and disclosure, access and exception requests (e.g.: power of attorneys, personal representative appointments, and requests for access or restriction).
- Research and provide legal advice to internal stakeholders on privacy incident response. This includes, but is not limited to, leading investigations directly or hiring and managing outside counsel, drafting external and internal communications in the event of a privacy incident (including responses to law enforcement and regulators as needed), and advising on privacy incident procedures and crisis plans.
- Lead and modernize Trustmark’s record retention program to include advising business units on data retention, destruction and minimization, including as it relates to e-discovery and internal communications.