Experienced Attorneys & Patent Professionals
Sheppard Mullin is strongly committed to developing and promoting associates from within. However, the addition of strong lateral associates is also integral to our firm's growth plan for the future. At Sheppard Mullin we are continuously striving to create a firm where lawyers want to be. We are very proud of the culture of Sheppard Mullin, which emphasizes civility, teamwork and a commitment to excellent service to clients.
Click here for just some of our many benefits for associates.
Non-Partner Lateral Recruiting Contacts
Christina Jurado, Senior Firmwide Manager of Lateral Recruiting & Integration
Christine Rosario, Lateral Recruiting and Integration Specialist
Thomas Meena, Lateral Recruiting and Integration Coordinator
Sherrill Soliz, Lateral Recruiting and Integration Coordinator
Lateral Partner Recruiting Contact
General inquiries regarding non-partner attorney recruiting should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why Sheppard Mullin?
Quality of Practice
- Breadth of Practice: Sheppard Mullin has prospered by continuously diversifying its practice and avoiding overemphasis on faddish practice areas. We have not purged lawyers from practice areas that were out of phase as a result of swings in the economic cycle. The result is a firm that is balanced, and has practices that prosper in “up” and “down” phases of the economy.
- Durability of Practice: The firm has grown continuously through boom and recession, and has enjoyed extraordinary stability.
- Teamwork: We do not staff our work through watertight practice groups. We deploy interdisciplinary teams to reflect the changing nature of today’s legal practice and client expectations. Some teams are industry-specific, such as Life Sciences or Hospitality, and some are client-specific, such as Charter and Wells Fargo. The objective is to market and deploy unique knowledge and expertise to current and prospective clients. The firm encourages all associates to join teams that interest them.
- Supervision and Feedback: “Lean staffing” on cases and transactions allows close supervision of work, immediate feedback and early client contact.
- Access to Partnership: The firm’s two-tier partnership structure allows election of associates as profit-sharing partners – a platform from which they can develop business and follow an established path into equity partnership. In 2005, the firm instituted its “Partnership College” retreat for all midlevel and higher associates, to give senior associates the information and tools necessary to stay on track for partnership. We have presented “Partnership College” on a biannual basis since then.
Quality of Life
- Working Atmosphere: Sheppard Mullin preserves an internal atmosphere that is informal, civil, friendly, and cooperative.
- Balanced Approach: We strive to ensure our work meets the highest professional and client service standards in the industry, but billable hour expectations are moderate (1950 hours) and permit pursuit of family, civic, and professional activities.
We encourage and support our attorneys to help pro bono clients. We give credit toward billable hour guidelines for work on pro bono projects.
At Sheppard Mullin, we recognize the importance of diversity and the need to create a workplace of inclusion. Women attorneys, attorneys of color, LGBTQ+ attorneys, veteran attorneys and staff members, and attorneys who are parents have formed affinity groups that hold meetings, promote activities and make recommendations to firm management.
- Partnership Traditions: Sheppard Mullin is a traditional partnership, with equity partners exercising votes on a one person/one vote basis.
- Centralized Management: Firm management is selected by partnership vote, with elected partners serving in management for finite terms. We have efficient business management staffed by accounting, marketing and information technology professionals.
"I was pleasantly surprised not only by how much cutting edge, interesting work the firm had to offer, but also how much responsibility was given to associates. I have gained valuable experience on several projects that I may not have been able to gain at another big firm."
- Leo Caseria, Partner