Alexander Lazar is a partner in the Corporate Practice Group in the firm's New York office.
Areas of Practice
Alexander advises technology, internet, digital media and life sciences clients on a range of corporate matters from startup through IPO.
Alexander's practice focuses on:
- Company formation and founder matters
- Corporate and commercial growth strategy
- Initial- through late-stage angel, venture capital and other debt and equity financings
- Mergers and acquisitions
- IPOs and other public and private securities offerings
- Technology and brand licensing
- Complex commercial transactions, including joint ventures, including development, collaboration, manufacturing, supply and consulting arrangements.
Mr. Lazar represents startups and emerging companies in various stages of growth. Clients have included 3Box, 360fly, 4Tech, Alluvium, Axoni, Block Re, Door, Excellims, Galactic Fog, GirlGaze, Hexanika, IrisVR, Landit, Lucidity Lights (Finally Bulbs), Neosync, Nesterly, Novomer, OnDemand Korea, Parachute Health, Portal Instruments, Propel, Rent the Runway, Reonomy, Selerity and Thnks among others.
Mr. Lazar regularly advises more mature companies in strategic investments and M&A transactions. Representative transactions include:
Representative Strategic Minority Investments:
- Advised Rakuten and its affiliates in their investments in: Lyft, Pinterest, Altiostar Networks, CafeX Communications, Upstart Networks, Simplesurance and Ahalife, among others
- Represented a publicly traded US technology company in its Series A investment in a smart data company
- Advised a publicly traded US technology company in its proposed Series C investment in a company providing a financial and credit advisory platform
- Represented a privately held media company in its Series Seed investment in a streaming digital media services company
- Represented a publicly traded US medical device company as lead investor in its Series A investment in a cardiological implant company
Representative M&A Transactions:
- Advised Rakuten and its affiliates in their acquisitions of: Viki, Slice Technologies, First Mile, DC Storm, DeepForest Media, Manifest Commerce, Vibrant Data and Nextperformance among others
- Represented LogMeIn in its acquisition of LastPass
- Represented Boston Scientific Corporation in its acquisitions of BridgePoint Medical and Asthmatx, among others
- Represented Rakuten in its sale of The Grommet to Ace Hardware
- Advised Atrium Medical Corporation in its sale to GETINGE AB
- Advised Fitness Connection in its sale to LNK Partners
- Represented Rakuten as a major shareholder in connection with the sale of Juno to Gett
Mr. Lazar also advises clients on complex commercial and licensing matters, including negotiating technology licensing, development, collaboration, manufacturing, and distribution arrangements with strategic partners.
Mr. Lazar regularly speaks on legal issues facing emerging growth and technology companies, and has served as a mentor and judge in various business plan and business method competitions.
- Presenter, "Exit Strategies," Venture Capital 2019: Nuts & Bolts, Practising Law Institute, April 2019
- Presenter, "Exit Strategies," Venture Capital 2018: Nuts & Bolts, Practising Law Institute, May 2018
- Presenter, "Exit Provisions in Venture Capital Financings," Venture Capital 2017: Nuts & Bolts, Practising Law Institute, June 2017
- Presenter, "Key Issues in Follow-On Financing Rounds," Venture Capital 2016: Nuts & Bolts, Practising Law Institute, May 2016
- Understanding the Structure and Legal Implications of Convertible Instruments, via GlobalMeet, 05.16.2019
J.D., Boston College Law School, 2008, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
B.A., Brown University, 2005 magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- New York