Amy L. McEvoy is a partner in the Tax and Estate Planning Practice Group in the firm's Los Angeles office and is the Team Leader of the firm's Private Wealth Services Team.
Areas of Practice
Amy is Certified as a Specialist in Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization. Amy specializes in all aspects of wealth transfer planning. She advises U.S. citizens, residents and nonresident noncitizens regarding U.S. estate and gift tax planning with an emphasis on minimizing taxation. Amy prepares customized complex trusts, both domestic and offshore, as well as comprehensive estate plans. She also advises fiduciaries in regards to the administration of trusts and estates.
Listed in the 2020-2021 Private Client ‘Ones To Watch’ category of the Global Elite Directory 2021. The Global Elite Directory is the list of the world's most respected lawyers advising UHNW clients, all of whom have been recommended by their peers in the private wealth industry.
Named as a Rising Star in Legal Week’s Global Elite Directory, 2019
- Tips of the Trade: How To Help Clients Avoid Taking Cryptocurrency To The CryptTrusts and Estates Quarterly, Volume 24, 2018
- Editor of Trusts and Estates Quarterly, Volume 23, Issue 2, 2017
Corporate & Securities Law Blog Posts
- "Estate Planning In Turbulent Times," March 26, 2020
Latin American Law Blog Posts
- Non-Probate Transfers (Chapter 2), California Decedent Estate Practice, CEB, 2009-2021 updates02.2022
- "Trust planning: Choice of Jurisdiction – Nevada, South Dakota, and Delaware," December 4, 2019, Deloitte Family Office Forum, Costa Mesa, CA
- "The ABCs of Estate Planning, Trust and Estates Litigation," (presented with Golnaz Yazdchi), October 3, 2018, a joint event of Sheppard Mullin and UCLA Law Women LEAD, Costa Mesa, CA
- "Planning for Married Couples in a Post-Tax World," (presented with Erin L. Prouty), April 20, 2018, The 40th Annual UCLA/CEB Estate Planning Institute, Manhattan Beach, CA
- "Selected Planning and Litigation Topics," (presented with Nicholas Van Brunt), September 28, 2017, Whittier Trust Company, South Pasadena, CA
- "Private Wealth," (presented with Nicholas Van Brunt), August 16, 2017, FOX (Family Office Exchange), Chicago, Illinois
- "Selected International Planning Topics," (presented with Jerry Gumpel), June 21, 2017, Mexico City, Mexico.
- "Tax Status Rules: Citizenship, Domicile and Residency," STEP International Tax And Estate Planning Forum, Pre-Conference Seminar, May 4, 2016, Laguna Beach, CA
- "Selected International Estate Planning Topics," January 13, 2016, California State Bar Association Webinar
- "Selected International Estate Planning Topics," July 16, 2015, Los Angeles, CA
- "Portability Planning," 2014 California Tax Practitioners' Conference, June 10, 2014, Los Angeles, CA
- "Maximizing the $5 Million Exemption," 2013 California Tax Practitioners' Conference, May 7, 2013, Los Angeles, CA
- "U.S. estate planning for Chinese families," September 20, 2012, San Francisco, CA
- "Estate Planning for the Baby Boomer – Ideas that Make you Stand Out," 2012 California Tax Practitioners’ Conference, May 24, 2012, Los Angeles, California
- "Succession Planning," The Pacific Oil Conference and Trade Show, September 19, 2011, Reno, Nevada
Co-Chair, Private Wealth Services Industry Team
Executive Committee of the Trusts and Estates Section, Los Angeles County Bar Association 2007-2016 (Chair 2013-2014, Vice-Chair 2012-2013, and Secretary and Treasurer 2011-2012)
Member, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP), Los Angeles Branch
Member, FOX (Family Office Exchange)
Member, Trusts and Estates Section, State Bar of California
Member, University of Southern California Alumni Association